The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-19-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubade Acoustics View Post
i have built 8 or 9 out of Southern Yellow pine and they all are stable and sound great. Have done a resonator with a SYP top but not any pull on it. I can tell you it is hard as nails to bend. 350 degrees and twice in the blanket just to get it to hold a shape. It was perfectly quartered though. I would not hesitate to use it for a top on one.
Very cool. Thank you for sharing.

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red
Old 11-19-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzard View Post
It's not the lengths, its the widths. And I just re measured. They are 3/4 x 7.5 x 5' to 8'. Lots of length. Need to glue for wider panels (along the grain).

Mark is talking to his "guy."
7-1/2 is wide enough if you glue small wings on the outside at the lower bout. It can usually be matched from a piece above it on the same board and the joint disappears.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
i have built 8 or 9 out of Southern Yellow pine and they all are stable and sound great. Have done a resonator with a SYP top but not any pull on it. I can tell you it is hard as nails to bend. 350 degrees and twice in the blanket just to get it to hold a shape. It was perfectly quartered though. I would not hesitate to use it for a top on one.
Very pretty. Thanks for posting!

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red
Old 11-19-2015, 06:57 PM

That is one of the most beautiful guitar I've seen in a long, long time.

Congrats !

Quote:

https://soundcloud.com/user-254253822

http://members.soundclick.com/Jean%2DFrancois+Champoux
Old 11-19-2015, 07:55 PM

I came across some southern pine a while back, thought it would be an interesting wood to build with as it is harder than the pine I used to make some guitars. Given the history of the wood I would give it a try at least for the back and sides. Depending on my mood I might even use it for the top.

I am not too up on the weight of the stuff but doubt it is heavier than the walnut I made a guitar top from. It was also flat sawn and it is over a year old with no problems so far. I seem to recall that hardwoods are not as extreme in the stiffness as softwoods are, may be why I got away without using quartered wood. My first guitar, one of the pine guitars (cedar top) I made had far from quartered back pieces and it also has faired well with no problems and is two years old. Goes to prove you can make a guitar out of almost anything. I think it is surviving as my workshop was low in humidity when I was building it.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:11 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:

That is some beautiful pine. I would love to find a board or two like that.
Lovely guitar!

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 11-22-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
That is some beautiful pine. I would love to find a board or two like that.
Lovely guitar!

Steve
Thanks Steve and JFC for the nice compliments. Wish I had some more also.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:53 PM

Default SYP Guitar

The guitar that Mike shared pictures of is the one of three he built for me and my family. This guitar is not heavy in fact its substantially lighter than the Bocote/cedar guitar Mike built for my daughter. Not only is it a stellar looking instrument, its tone, and sustain are incredible.

Mike is one talented, and creative luthier. Hope to be visiting you in about a month Mike.

Marc

1934 Martin 0-17
2009 Collings OM1A SB Varnish
2010 Collings OM 1 All Mahogany Walnut Finish
2009 JWarwick Great Falls Anigre/Carpathian Spruce
Coming Soon J Warwick 000 Sinker Mahogany & Sinker Redwood
2013 Taylor Grand Orchestra First Edition #13 Mahogany & Sitka
1960 Gibson Melody Maker w/2 pick-ups
1984 Fender Telecaster
Old 11-22-2015, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

I know your thoughts are on an acoustic, but wonder if you can get a nice solid-body electric out of that wood.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 11-22-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotheadmj View Post
The guitar that Mike shared pictures of is the one of three he built for me and my family. This guitar is not heavy in fact its substantially lighter than the Bocote/cedar guitar Mike built for my daughter. Not only is it a stellar looking instrument, its tone, and sustain are incredible.

Mike is one talented, and creative luthier. Hope to be visiting you in about a month Mike.

Marc
Looking forward to a visit.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
I know your thoughts are on an acoustic, but wonder if you can get a nice solid-body electric out of that wood.
This wood was from a 240 year old tree and None left over but quartered with a tight grain like that would probably be fine for a solid body.
Old 11-28-2015, 05:50 PM

Default David Newton guitar

I don't think David will mind me sharing this from his Facebook page, since it is for sale. Top, back and sides are all white pine. I'm not affiliated in any way - I haven't met the guy or played his guitars - but they look good and are quite reasonably priced for hand-build, hide-glue guitars.

Check out his other guitars for sale here: http://davidnewtonguitars.squarespace.com/
Old 11-29-2015, 04:32 AM
AGF Sponsor

His guitars look like a great value
Old 11-29-2015, 06:27 PM

On a lark, I built an entire guitar, top, back, sides & neck from a single Long-leaf Yellow Pine siding board that I found in a trash pile. It was an unused board that had been in the rafters of a local garage probably 40 years.

Probably cut locally, LLYP along with Cypress was the tree local to my town, Beaumont, Tx that our lumber industry relied on from the 1800's until it was logged out during WWII.
The guitar was not beautiful, but looked striking, one of those "River Guitars" that I like to do, just plain and simple. The tone was not sophisticated either, but it was one of the loudest guitars that I ever built, it could literally hurt your ears.
I sold it locally, before I wanted to, to a repair customer, he played a couple of strums and bought it.

I have built 3 guitars of White Pine, top, back, & sides. I like the tone they give. I enjoy building with non-traditional wood, not all the time, but when I want to "cleanse my palate" from traditional woods.

Last edited by Dave in Tejas; 11-29-2015 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Tejas View Post
On a lark, I built an entire guitar, top, back, sides & neck from a single Long-leaf Yellow Pine siding board that I found in a trash pile. It was an unused board that had been in the rafters of a local garage probably 40 years.

Probably cut locally, LLYP along with Cypress was the tree local to my town, Beaumont, Tx that our lumber industry relied on from the 1800's until it was logged out during WWII.
The guitar was not beautiful, but looked striking, one of those "River Guitars" that I like to do, just plain and simple. The tone was not sophisticated either, but it was one of the loudest guitars that I ever built, it could literally hurt your ears.
I sold it locally, before I wanted to, to a repair customer, he played a couple of strums and bought it.

David, the cool factor is off the charts!

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop