The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 03:01 PM

Looking good over there!
Old 11-20-2015, 03:14 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubade Acoustics View Post
Looking good over there!
Thanks! We're going to have to make time to come see your shop (or you ours anytime). Of course, if there's some good Cajun grub in your neck of the woods, we might come sooner. Then you'll have to find a way to get rid of us.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 11-20-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
Of course, if there's some good Cajun grub in your neck of the woods, we might come sooner. Then you'll have to find a way to get rid of us.

Oh Yeah, THIS from the DQ princess.

CS

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red
Old 11-20-2015, 09:20 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzard View Post
Oh Yeah, THIS from the DQ princess.

CS
Something about this sounds redundant. DQ really hardly breaks my top 10 of lustworthy foods. Gumbo (or gombeaux as old books have it) is definitely high up the list. Everything falls from cookies, then Cream O' Galloway ice cream, hamburgers, etc. I should probably just start a thread about foods that anchor your building philosophy instead of hijacking this one. It's bedtime for me...hopefully I'll dream about Bailey's chocolate chip cookies or my next vote or, as Steve Sherriff said in another thread, the universal mind will give me inspiration for acoustic genius.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Before I sleep you'll probably want an update...

Got the peghead ready for tuners.

And the neck ready to bolt to the body.

Also fit the truss rod, prepped the neck for gluing on fretboard and then carving.

About to get this guy off to be finished.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Thanks! We're going to have to make time to come see your shop (or you ours anytime). Of course, if there's some good Cajun grub in your neck of the woods, we might come sooner. Then you'll have to find a way to get rid of us.
I agree, we need to meet soon. No good food in Louisiana, Ha Ha!
Old 11-21-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Something about this sounds redundant. DQ really hardly breaks my top 10 of lustworthy foods. Gumbo (or gombeaux as old books have it) is definitely high up the list. Everything falls from cookies, then Cream O' Galloway ice cream, hamburgers, etc. I should probably just start a thread about foods that anchor your building philosophy instead of hijacking this one. It's bedtime for me...hopefully I'll dream about Bailey's chocolate chip cookies or my next vote or, as Steve Sherriff said in another thread, the universal mind will give me inspiration for acoustic genius.
Ryan,

I don't think you can hijack your own thread... I assume you know I'm just giving you a ribbing. Heck, I am told that my first words were a sentence and it was "Good food."

Doubt I can swing this one, this time, but the thread is smart and it definitely makes me think there is an SKT destined for my guitar closet.

Chris

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red
Old 11-21-2015, 10:25 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzard View Post
Ryan,

Doubt I can swing this one, this time, but the thread is smart and it definitely makes me think there is an SKT destined for my guitar closet.

Chris
What?!? Stringing a poor luthier along? No really, I've always been able to take a ribbing, and I know that if people could buy our guitars at will, we'd sell a lot more. We have always been committed to keeping our prices as low as feasible (and then we still do something like cutting the price of our F1 models), but they are still luxury items - as almost everything handmade in small shops has become. We're thankful for everyone that appreciates what we do - even if circumstances keep them from getting one now. I'm glad you've enjoyed my particular brand of lunacy while posting.

Just to rub it in though, I was tapping on this top yesterday and couldn't believe the woomph I was getting off of it. Someone is going to have a beast of a guitar!

Old 11-23-2015, 08:26 PM
AGF Sponsor

Got a little work in today after repairs and other orders. Here's a shot of shaping the back of the headstock using a spindle sander.

And then I stuffed in the truss rod with the fretboard on top. Now just down to carving the final shape.

Thanks for watching

Old 11-24-2015, 04:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

Ryan
What going on near the nut? It looks for all the world like a piece of plastic is under the fretboard at the first fret position. It covers the truss rod opening, and then seems to disappear under the fretboard and emerge at the first fret slot. I thought there must be a black caul there and that plastic is keepign it from sticking to the fingerboard but there is glue on top of the plastic. Do you guys leave that part of the fingerboard unglued? Is that actually plastic or is it paper that will help remove the fingerboard for future repairs. Or, am i seeing this all wrong. Is that stick down the middle propped up on that end? Are you inducing a little back bow as you glue the fingerboard down? WHATS GOING ON?
Old 11-24-2015, 05:01 PM
AGF Sponsor

Ha! This is great. It should go in the book "Lies Pictures Tell." There's a couple things going on that make a discerning eye get confused. The truth should just be - a fretboard is being glued on.

So, 1.) We put tape over the truss rod after putting it in and run it out over the truss rod cavity by the nut. This helps keep glue out of the channel to not freeze up the truss rod.

2.) We pin the fretboard on with pins in the 1st and 13th fret. After the board is glued on and clamped on the sides, I pull the pins and put tape over the holes to keep glue from coming out and up the holes.

3.) I then put the center stick down the middle which is over the tape to keep the board flat all the way.

The optical illusion comes from the combination of all these. Totally mundane, but I'm glad you're reading cool techniques into it. Or I could be lying to protect our clever ways.

Thanks for taking the time to look close.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:21 AM
AGF Sponsor

Well, now I'm stuffed from Thanksgiving, so it's time to get back to work and get back down to ice cream eating weight. Here's a couple of pics of what we did before we took the long weekend.

First, Steve is lining up the neck and bridge to make sure our geometry is right.

Second, you can't forget the back side of the neck - especially with the thin back seam. Got to get this side just right too - darn three dimensional objects.

Last, we pin that sucker on. Then we start to figure out just exactly where that bridge goes for the perfect intonation.

Thanks for following along. The goal is to get this guy off to the finisher today - a big step!

Old 12-01-2015, 10:37 AM
AGF Sponsor

Have you ever typed out a decently long post and then accidentally erased it? Then we you come back to re-write your thoughts, something about it seems stale and dead. It's like you had a creative spark coming up with how you'll express yourself, but the recreation of it sounds like your third grade recitation of "Two roads diverged in a yellow wood..." Oh well, here's to round two of this post.

I thought I would relate a little something about my day at the office yesterday (sorry no pics). It was different than my standard Monday, and that's usually a good thing. After a typical morning, I received a call from an AGFer. It's nice when I get to chat with one of you. Feel free to call me anytime to chat about guitars, the meaning of life, the price of milk...I pretty good at two out of three of those things. Anyway, always a pleasure when this internet stuff crackles into a real conversation.

Then, I was getting ready for an out of state customer to come pick up some repairs. I had spackled back together his '79 D28 and D12-35 and was just tuning them up when he pulled in with his wife. Little did Steve and I know that he was actually thinking about taking home a new guitar with him. Now we rarely actually have any guitars on hand for sale, but we did have one. (Shameless plug: It's this one, you might like it! BC Sitka/Koa SJ for Sale!)

He played it and really liked it. Then he played some other guitars that we had on hand but not for sale. His wife (not a player) liked them all relatively equally, but he kept gravitating back to the Koa SJ. So his WIFE says "Buy it." He then says that it's a little more than he wanted to spend. She says, "That's OK. If you want it, get it." He plays it more. Plays other guitars. Comes back to the Koa. Steve plays it for him. A/B several guitars. Picks the Koa back up. He wants it, but he says that he'll think about it. The wife says, " You're going to regret not getting this now, so just get it." He looks longingly and says he'll think about it some more. (Just for general knowledge, she does not have a sister - we asked, and her marriage seems solid.)

I've been in this business long enough to know a professional tire kicker from a potential customer, and this guy will get one of ours someday (maybe today). This comes with our particular business. And you know, I'm the same way. I'll tell my wife I'm going to the store to buy something I want. I'll pick it up, walk around the store two times, put it back on the shelf, and go home. My wife will ask, "Where's the thing you wanted?" I just couldn't pull the trigger. Are any of you like this?

Let me just say, in essence we deal with a lot fewer people than many salespeople do. To have anyone appreciate our work goes along way to keeping the fires burning. Both of my encounters for the day didn't result in a direct sale at the time (and maybe neither ever will), but it's a nice thing to have those connections over something I do, and I'm grateful. Just like the fun we're having here.

Have a good day. We'll talk again soon.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:25 AM

That post killed my Ryan, first to hear of your day and then the Koa story. I hope for you to sell that gorgeous guitar, but if you did then my dream of owning it falls to the wayside and I was reading your story waiting for my hopes to be dashed, but alas, there is still hope.

As you know, I love the look of that guitar so much, it was the basis of the eccentric rosette you did for mine. I am just trying to justify another SJ with similar styling, but can you blame me, I love that guitar.

Best of luck with you sale, I guess.....

Tom
Old 12-01-2015, 09:31 PM
AGF Sponsor

Tom,
You know we have a Kinnaird owner's discount don't you? Your SJ is Brazilian with Koa bindings - this one is Koa with Brazilian bindings. Yours is the traditional logo; this one is a modern logo. Yours has the elliptical rosette with abalone; this one has an elliptical rosette with abalone. Soundports, arm bevels, fretboard extensions. These are essentially a matched pair with perfect complements. It's almost a no brainer. And just think of the ease - a much smaller check, zero wait, and bang! all the guitar power you could ask for. I've basically got it packed up now.

Really Tom thanks for the canvas print of your guitar. What a great gift! That will be proudly displayed in our shop.

Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop