The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-14-2015, 12:48 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hey Chris,
Great looking build! Please tell me about your binding cutter. It looks very similar to my jig that Mark Kett used to build. Mark's jigs were made of Baltic Birch laminate but use the same guides (dumb bells) as yours. How does yours differ from his design? It looks intriguing and quite robust.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Hey Chris,
Great looking build! Please tell me about your binding cutter. It looks very similar to my jig that Mark Kett used to build. Mark's jigs were made of Baltic Birch laminate but use the same guides (dumb bells) as yours. How does yours differ from his design? It looks intriguing and quite robust.
Tim,
My binding jig is based on the Kett design. There are a few important differences. The first, is that the jig is beffed up- using aluminum for almost the entire jig. The second difference is that there is only one dumbbell guide. This eliminates the need to keep track of different guides and change them out. Instead, the guide holder is moved to determine the size of the cut. And this is where the most important difference comes into play. There is a small piece called the "zero bar" that sets the point at which the guide is cutting nothing (or is used as a flush cut). The guide holder is pulled back from the zero bar and the binding and/or purfling is placed in the gap. The guide holder is then brought into contact with the material and locked in place. This makes the jig incredibly versatile and simple to use.

Here is a tutorial I put together on setting up and using the jig:

I hope I answered your question. Let me know if you need more information. Thanks.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:34 PM

Thanks, Chris- As someone who knows little of instrument construction, really enjoying looking at learning!
Old 09-16-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_T View Post
Thanks, Chris- As someone who knows little of instrument construction, really enjoying looking at learning!
Dan_T,
Thanks for following along. I am glad you are enjoying it.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:51 PM

The guitar is now completed "in the white". All wood working has been done less the bridge. Up next will be finish.

Old 09-18-2015, 03:16 PM

Today was the first of many steps that is involved in finish- pore fill (coat one). I love this step. You get to see the colors of the wood just explode! On this particular guitar, I was most excited to see the color gradation come to life. I was not disappointed!

Photo updates will now come to a screeching halt for a little while. Once finish is done, I will have more to show. Thanks for following along.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:36 PM

Chris, that is gorgeous. I'm half tempted to ask if you have anymore of that lying around your shop.

Ensor ES (Sycamore/Lutz)
Halcyon (Flamed walnut/Engelmann)
Taylor 324ce
Taylor Baritone 6
Warwick Streamer
Eastman MD505

"I only drink coffee on days ending in 'y' "
Old 09-18-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeeaddict View Post
Chris, that is gorgeous. I'm half tempted to ask if you have anymore of that lying around your shop.
That's what I love and hate about wood. This is a one-of-a-kind set. If I find another set similar to it though, I will be snatching it up for sure!
Old 10-12-2015, 07:46 PM

The bridge on this parlor is a little bit different than my normal bridge. While the shape is familiar, its overall length is slightly less than my standard bridge. I used wenge in this case. It is nice and resonant while being very light weight. It also takes a very nice polish.

This is a new jig that I have been thinking about making for a long time and finally got around to it. It forms the top radius of my bridge:

Then for some rough carving:

And a final polish:

Old 11-24-2015, 02:24 PM

Wow it has been a long time since I have updated this thread. I apologize for that. I have been crazy busy with our house remodel and working on some new jigs to make tuners buttons.

So since I last updated, finish has cured and been buffed. The frets then went into the wenge fretboard (without any issues I might add).

Then the top was prepped for the bridge and it went on.

Next was the slow part- figuring out how to make tuner buttons to fit Gotoh 510 tuners. Here is the jig I made to radius the outside of the buttons:

The jig is based on Burton LeGeyt's design.

And here are some sneak peaks of the finished guitar:

If you remember back to the beginning of this thread, I mentioned that this guitar is one that I wanted to try a whole host of new things on. Well, I am happy with every one of them. The last two that I added during the build being the tuner buttons and changing the type of oil finish I use on my bridges and fingerboard. I am very pleased with both of these in particular.

Hopefully I can find some time over the holiday weekend to take some final photos. Stay tuned and thanks for viewing.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:18 PM

Chris,

That looks amazing, the buttons are a small touch, but I think they really help pull the look together. Very elegant.

Glad to see you are set up to make your own buttons now.

Ensor ES (Sycamore/Lutz)
Halcyon (Flamed walnut/Engelmann)
Taylor 324ce
Taylor Baritone 6
Warwick Streamer
Eastman MD505

"I only drink coffee on days ending in 'y' "
Old 11-24-2015, 05:34 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Chris, I like the little guitar. It has some nice wood and a very clean look overall. Nice job! I'm sure someone will enjoy it.

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 11-24-2015, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Looks great, Chris--really like the looks of the wenge fretboard! And the tuner buttons are an awesome touch--great that you can make your own now with that classy jig! Good stuff...
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 11-25-2015, 05:02 PM

Thanks for the kind words everyone. This guitar is for sale. I know it will make someone very happy once it finds a new home!
Old 11-28-2015, 10:06 PM

We took some studio pictures today. Here is a little sample of what we captured:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop