The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-08-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregg View Post
Hi Denis, the Tasmanian Blackwood I have feels/sounds more like Rosewood to me, maybe not full-blown steroidal rosewood, but that is not a bad thing, it is a wonderful tonewood. It makes a GREAT sounding guitar, have a listen to clips 1-6 on the link below, let me know what you think about it.

http://www.gwaltneyguitars.com/sound_clips/clips.php
Super clips Greg! That guitar sounds so good and so deep. You could get lost in there. I've yet to try a blackwood guitar, sounds interesting to say the least! And will it be Lutz or Adi? Your Lutz guitar that I played was pretty awesome but I'm betting your guitars are a bit different from that one? It didn't have the same bracing, right?

Oh and thanks so much for keeping my video up on your homepage!
Old 04-08-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Fay View Post
Hi Greg,
I'm about to do a complete overhaul of my website and it should be much better. I've always used Rapidweaver for mac. It is a great web design app that has many layers of depth. You can use these "templates" or themes which provide a basic site structure and then customize as you wish. Recently, a much more involved theme based on Zurb's Foundation was created. It adds complete customization of a website but requires some learning and a bit more work -- but you can pretty much make any kind of site you want with it. If you have a Mac, check it out.

And, of course, it would be great to see you if you are down this way.
Thanks for the info, I will give it a go. Look forward to seeing your new and improved site as the current one is pretty dang nice as is. I will be in touch.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
Super clips Greg! That guitar sounds so good and so deep. You could get lost in there. I've yet to try a blackwood guitar, sounds interesting to say the least! And will it be Lutz or Adi? Your Lutz guitar that I played was pretty awesome but I'm betting your guitars are a bit different from that one? It didn't have the same bracing, right?

Oh and thanks so much for keeping my video up on your homepage!
Denis, your video will stay on my website, I am so appreciative of the time you spent to do that 7 years ago, thanks again. I will probably go with the Lutz as I know what to expect with this billet, and the tops have proven to be very good. That bracing came straight from Ervin's voicing class, I have toyed with small changes but mostly the patterns are in the same ballpark. This guitar will have similar bracing, but with a few other changes that I'm looking forward to incorporating into my builds.....I had to do a little maintenance on my sander, but with that behind me I should be bending sides next week
Old 04-08-2015, 08:04 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Hi, Greg! Great to see you building again. That Aussie Blackwood is sure some pretty stuff with koa-like figuring.

JR
Old 04-09-2015, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
Hi, Greg! Great to see you building again. That Aussie Blackwood is sure some pretty stuff with koa-like figuring.

JR
Thanks J.R., it has been a lot of fun to get back in the shop.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:01 AM
Charter Member

Greg,

that AB reminds me of our summer days down here in Oz, all bright and warm. I am looking forward to seeing more photos as we head into Autumn in the southern hemisphere!

You mentioned bracing changes. What are your thoughts when you make a decision like that? Do you have a particular 'sound' change in your mind that you are seeking?

Col
Old 04-09-2015, 05:34 AM
Charter Member

Great to see you back building, Greg. You have some great ideas and skills, and more importantly (to me) a good and centered heart. I'll look forward to following your work here.

Mark
Old 04-09-2015, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Denis, your video will stay on my website, I am so appreciative of the time you spent to do that 7 years ago, thanks again. I will probably go with the Lutz as I know what to expect with this billet, and the tops have proven to be very good. That bracing came straight from Ervin's voicing class, I have toyed with small changes but mostly the patterns are in the same ballpark. This guitar will have similar bracing, but with a few other changes that I'm looking forward to incorporating into my builds.....I had to do a little maintenance on my sander, but with that behind me I should be bending sides next week
It was a pleasure to play one of your fine instruments Greg. Let me know if ever you'd like me to do it again. While my videos don't look much better, I've got a better set up for recording the sound.

Looking forward to the next set of pictures!

Cheers
Old 04-09-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Greg,

that AB reminds me of our summer days down here in Oz, all bright and warm. I am looking forward to seeing more photos as we head into Autumn in the southern hemisphere!

You mentioned bracing changes. What are your thoughts when you make a decision like that? Do you have a particular 'sound' change in your mind that you are seeking?

Col
Hey Colins, I will get some pics up soon, spent some time today thickness sanding tops and backs as well as gluing a back plate together. Relative to brace changes.....Short answer, yes, usually there is a sound I'm looking for when making a brace change. There are lots of variables, so it's best to make small changes at a time.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
It was a pleasure to play one of your fine instruments Greg. Let me know if ever you'd like me to do it again. While my videos don't look much better, I've got a better set up for recording the sound.

Looking forward to the next set of pictures!

Cheers
Would love to have you record all of my guitars, If only you lived closer
Old 04-09-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markkunkel View Post
Great to see you back building, Greg. You have some great ideas and skills, and more importantly (to me) a good and centered heart. I'll look forward to following your work here.

Mark
How are you Mark!! It has been a long time since I visited with you(and your family), but remember it well as it was such a pleasure. Thanks for the kind words, and hopefully we can share a few guitar playing moments again in the future.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:45 PM

Here is a set of Aussie Blackwood being glued up in "the press"....looks much lighter in the picture than in real life.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Would love to have you record all of my guitars, If only you lived closer
If I lived closer, I'd visit you regularly!

Great looking back you've got there!
Old 04-10-2015, 09:23 AM

Sorry about the poor quality pics, I took them with my phone, no more of that...lol...Anyway, I am thinking about building 2 guitars at once as it is a bit more efficient for me, this is a set of Sapele that I just sliced off of a billet, looks like it would make a nice looking/sounding guitar. Thought this set with an Adi top might be pretty cool. Of course the other one will be Aussie Blackwood/ Lutz.....Considering building one of them either a G2 which is like a 00 size, or a GSJ which is a like a small Jumbo(15 1/2" lower bout). What do you think of these potential combos?

Old 04-10-2015, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

I think an Adi top will be a great compliment to the sapele set! Would love to see that one in the small jumbo model...
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop