The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-07-2018, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transylvania View Post
I'm an acoustic guy...who is thinking of adding an electric to the stable. I think I would use it mostly for some blues and possibly some finger picking. For those who are more knowledgeable (and that's basically all of you). what are your opinions of the afore mentioned model. There is one here on the forum that has caught my eye.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Frank
Some are very nice. I wanted the less common fat neck version or a fatter neck so the custom shop reissues showed up in my shopping.

My frustration was none of the new ones sounded like an associate's 1960 ES-335. Most were $3000-$5000+ guitars (fat necks, 50s reissues).

Collings SoCo 16s nailed the tone that former coworker's 1960 guitar has with far superior workmanship in the same price range.

My experience was not like a lot of Internet talk where all Gibsons are crap quality but honestly, few were made as well as Herritage and Collings. This including my proximity to Dave's, CME and Cream City where just one road trip could let you handle more ES-335s than a lot of places even have any decent guitars.

My conclusion was if you've got that tribal have to have a Gibson logo that's one thing. If you can find a Gibson that's made well that's great. If you want a tremendous thin semi-hollow Herritage and Collings make superior stuff.

For Herritage I landed in the camp that has to plug my nose and shut my eyes about the headstock. Collings designs are their take on the originals with nice touches, or for ES-335 it's really a SoCo 16 that doesn't look like a 335 but is a very nice looking instrument.

Edit:

P.S. I can't say I know close up what a real 1959 might sound like, but that former coworker's 1960 did not have pickups as overpowering as all the modern Gibsons I tried. Still, it has wonderful tone with an amp overdriven. My guitar has Lollar "low wind" where I thought the idea was best replicating older guitars. Maybe it's old ears but the already premium Lollars did not sound inferior or even much different than the VERY expensive Throbak pickups some of my same guitar model have.

P.S.S. That 1960 guitar shows wear, not as sloppy build as a lot of modern Gibsons, but also not made with the perfection you see the best modern builders have. It added to my often thinking for all the want of vintage guitars, we might be living in the real or next golden age.

Last edited by imwjl; 03-07-2018 at 07:36 AM.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:51 PM

Hey Beach, that makes sense about drilling the holes. BTW, your Memphis looks great! As far as the Friedman amps go, they're so expensive. I played the Runt 50 which is the 'cheap' one at $1800.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachrunner View Post
Thanks, Dru! Yeah, it's a keeper for sure.

I'm very curious about Friedman amps. I definitely need to play one..

It looks like the CME Memphis 335 Studio floor models are sold out now on their site.

I must confess that I didn't do the pickguard install myself. I had my tech install it while the guitar was in there for a setup. (I ordered the guard from Allparts, and the bracket from mLaval.)

But to answer your question, the bracket holder/screw doesn't go in the f-hole. It sits just above it. Yes, there is some modification required. My tech had to drill two small holes in the body. (That's why I didn't do it myself! Ha)

Maybe you can tell by these pics below, but I'll try to take a close-up under the pickguard later tonight.

<<snippet pics>>
Old 03-08-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey Beach, that makes sense about drilling the holes. BTW, your Memphis looks great! As far as the Friedman amps go, they're so expensive. I played the Runt 50 which is the 'cheap' one at $1800.
Yeah, I didn't want to chance it drilling those holes myself.. The tech did a great job, though, so I'm real happy with it.

I knew those Friedmans are pretty pricey.. Man, they sound so good in the vids, though. I'd love to plug into one. I may seek one out and do that soon..
Old 03-10-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I didn't want to chance it drilling those holes myself.. The tech did a great job, though, so I'm real happy with it.

I knew those Friedmans are pretty pricey.. Man, they sound so good in the vids, though. I'd love to plug into one. I may seek one out and do that soon..
Well, I was praising my tech too soon..

Seems he took it upon himself to install a third screw thru the pickguard....

The bracket assembly plainly only came with the two screws, so he added a new 3rd screw thru the guard...

No other 335's have this third screw through the pickguard.

I guess it's not the end of the world, but now it doesn't look "right" to me..

I'll talk to him about it Monday..

It's supposed to look like this:

Last edited by Beachrunner; 03-10-2018 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Well, I was praising my tech too soon..

Seems he took it upon himself to install a third screw thru the pickguard....

The bracket assembly plainly only came with the two screws, so he added a new 3rd screw thru the guard...

No other 335's have this third screw through the pickguard.

I guess it's not the end of the world, but now it doesn't look "right" to me..

I'll talk to him about it Monday..

It's supposed to look like this:
I can't speak to what should happen with an All Parts guard matched with a bracket from another company, but I can you that my factory Gibson (390) has a black block (plastic) that's apparently glued to the underside of the guard - right where your tech put that extra screw. Perhaps the All Parts guard was installed correctly with that bracket, as the bracket does have a screwhole where mine has the glued block?? If so, it might because the bracket could be used on multiple guitars, not just Gibson and not just on the 335, so maybe they didn't want to use a glued block? Better to locate the bracket on the destination guitar first, then lock the guard down with the screw, once he knew where the hole should go. In other words, I don't see how else he could have done it, given that bracket, which appears to be generic, designed, per mlaval, to fit "most archtop guitars." I wouldn't be too hard on the tech, who installed what you gave him the only way it appears possible.

On the other hand, the bracket came with only 2 screws? Under my theory, if packaged correctly, there should have been 3. But, this is the bracket and it shows only 2 screws and they match the ones you received: http://www.mlaval.com/index.php/hard...lated-569.html

If you'd gone with Allparts' compatible bracket, it appears it would have worked - note the block I mentioned: https://www.allparts.com/AP-0626-001...ket_p_364.html That's likely why the Allparts guard, like the Gibson guard, doesn't have the extra screw hole. I consider it significant that mlaval, seller of your bracket, doesn't offer a guard specifically for the 335 (or any Gibson archtop).

A mystery, indeed. Worst case? You start over with gen-u-ine Gibson stuff, new or used.

Last edited by ChrisN; 03-10-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
I can't speak to what should happen with an All Parts guard matched with a bracket from another company, but I can you that my factory Gibson (390) has a black block (plastic) that's apparently glued to the underside of the guard - right where your tech put that extra screw. Perhaps the All Parts guard was installed correctly with that bracket, as the bracket does have a screwhole where mine has the glued block?? If so, it might because the bracket could be used on multiple guitars, not just Gibson and not just on the 335, so maybe they didn't want to use a glued block? Better to locate the bracket on the destination guitar first, then lock the guard down with the screw, once he knew where the hole should go. In other words, I don't see how else he could have done it, given that bracket, which appears to be generic, designed, per mlaval, to fit "most archtop guitars." I wouldn't be too hard on the tech, who installed what you gave him the only way it appears possible.

On the other hand, the bracket came with only 2 screws? Under my theory, if packaged correctly, there should have been 3. But, this is the bracket and it shows only 2 screws and they match the ones you received: http://www.mlaval.com/index.php/hard...lated-569.html

If you'd gone with Allparts' compatible bracket, it appears it would have worked - note the block I mentioned: https://www.allparts.com/AP-0626-001...ket_p_364.html That's likely why the Allparts guard, like the Gibson guard, doesn't have the extra screw hole. I consider it significant that mlaval, seller of your bracket, doesn't offer a guard specifically for the 335 (or any Gibson archtop).

A mystery, indeed. Worst case? You start over with gen-u-ine Gibson stuff, new or used.
Good info.

I see what you're saying here in the Allparts bracket vs the mLaval.. Yeah, I guess I should have ordered the Allparts bracket along with the Allparts guard (or the actual Gibson parts), but I ordered both from Amazon - and this is the bracket they suggested for the Allparts guard, so I just went with that.

I never even opened the package with the Allparts guard in it to notice a black plastic block on the back - I just handed it over directly to my tech.

And I bet you're right about the mLaval bracket - it's probably designed to fit "most archtop guitars" - just like the link said... And I also see in your link that the Allparts bracket does have the block..

Next time I'll pay more attention to what I order.. I just assumed the mLaval bracket would fit - since that's what Amazon "suggested" for this Allparts pickguard...

But in retrospect... Always get the guard and the bracket from the same company... Learned a lesson there.

No, I won't be too hard on my tech - he may tell me the same thing you just said here..

So, Chris - you explained it here perfectly - Plain and simple, I ordered the wrong bracket.

Last edited by Beachrunner; 03-10-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Good info.

I see what you're saying here in the Allparts bracket vs the mLaval.. Yeah, I guess I should have ordered the Allparts bracket along with the Allparts guard (or the actual Gibson parts), but I ordered both from Amazon - and this is the bracket they suggested for the Allparts guard, so I just went with that.

I never even opened the package with the Allparts guard in it to notice a black plastic block on the back - I just handed it over directly to my tech.

And I bet you're right about the mLaval bracket - it's probably designed to fit "most archtop guitars" - just like the link said... And I also see in your link that the Allparts bracket does have the block..

Next time I'll pay more attention to what I order.. I just assumed the mLaval bracket would fit - since that's what Amazon "suggested" for this Allparts pickguard...

But in retrospect... Always get the guard and the bracket from the same company... Learned a lesson there.

No, I won't be too hard on my tech - he may tell me the same thing you just said here..

So, Chris - you explained it here perfectly - Plain and simple, I ordered the wrong bracket.
I wouldn't worry about it - beautiful guitar Beach and I'm sure the tone is great.

BTW: Made it to CME today but not for the semi hollow bodies but to play Friedman amps ... and of course some great acoustics too.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:21 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I wouldn't worry about it - beautiful guitar Beach and I'm sure the tone is great.

BTW: Made it to CME today but not for the semi hollow bodies but to play Friedman amps ... and of course some great acoustics too.
You better watch it Dru, or you're gonna end up with one of those Friedman amps....

Thanks for the kind words on the pickguard fiasco. But yeah, I think I'm just gonna live with it at this point. It actually doesn't look bad - even though it's not ES-335 "correct".

As Chris noted, I should have just ordered the Allparts bracket to go along with the Allparts pickguard... No brainer there. But as I mentioned earlier, I just assumed the mLaval one would fit - especially since Amazon suggested it for the Allparts guard..

But you know what they say about assuming...
Old 03-10-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
I just assumed the mLaval bracket would fit - since that's what Amazon "suggested" for this Allparts pickguard...
I think your mystery is solved. FWIW, I, too, have been burned by Amazon's "suggestions" as to what should be used with what I just ordered. Ouch. That "feature" is a way to shove another product at you, and it's not the result of any actual analysis of your purchase. Here's their proprietary algorithm - "He ordered a pickguard - show him a bracket for it, since others wanted a bracket - oh, we don't have an Allparts bracket, but we do have a mlaval offered by someone else who gives us a cut of their sale? - Get that mlaval bracket out for him to look at, pronto, and imply it's the correct bracket. Get the sale!"

Apart from new/used Gibson stuff, it looks like you could get another Allparts guard and the Allparts bracket and install them yourself, since the tech correctly put the holes in the guitar. But, I can't speak to how the guard is attached to that block - I removed my guard to clean the guitar and the bracket came off with the guard once both "guitar" screws were removed. I didn't pay close attention to the block, however.
Old 03-10-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
I think your mystery is solved. FWIW, I, too, have been burned by Amazon's "suggestions" as to what should be used with what I just ordered. Ouch. That "feature" is a way to shove another product at you, and it's not the result of any actual analysis of your purchase. Here's their proprietary algorithm - "He ordered a pickguard - show him a bracket for it, since others wanted a bracket - oh, we don't have an Allparts bracket, but we do have a mlaval offered by someone else who gives us a cut of their sale? - Get that mlaval bracket out for him to look at, pronto, and imply it's the correct bracket. Get the sale!"

Apart from new/used Gibson stuff, it looks like you could get another Allparts guard and the Allparts bracket and install them yourself, since the tech correctly put the holes in the guitar. But, I can't speak to how the guard is attached to that block - I removed my guard to clean the guitar and the bracket came off with the guard once both "guitar" screws were removed. I didn't pay close attention to the block, however.
You are EXACTLY right here, Chris, about the Amazon "suggestions"... Well said!

Sadly, lesson learned...

https://www.amazon.com/Allparts-5-Pl.../dp/B000W60ZUW

Last edited by Beachrunner; 03-10-2018 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
The early '60s models had narrow necks and what I consider narrow spacing for a very short time. The modern ES-335 has string spacing that I consider very comfortable. I come over from Taylor string spacing and don't need much if any adaptation. I alternate between playing with fingers and pick for both lead and rhythm.

Bob

I bought a 2016 Wine Red studio a couple of weeks ago and found the same - switching from Taylor acoustic to Fender (and G&L) electric to Gibson 335 feels quite effortless. Nothing feels unfamiliar if you know what I mean.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 03-12-2018, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Just put a pickguard on my recently acquired 2017 Memphis 335 Studio.

Sounds a lot better! Ha

That is a lovely guitar! I’ve recently bought the wine red version. I am considering adding a pickguard though I quite like it without...
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 03-12-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
That is a lovely guitar! I’ve recently bought the wine red version. I am considering adding a pickguard though I quite like it without...
Thanks, Pieterh. I'd love to see a pic of your wine red version!

Yeah, I debated about putting a pickguard on mine, but I'm still glad that I put the guard on - even though the look is not exactly what I wanted (with the extra screw in there).

But if you do decide to put a pickguard on yours, be sure you get the guard and the bracket from the same company!!...
Old 03-12-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I debated about putting a pickguard on mine, but I'm still glad that I put the guard on - even though the look is not exactly what I wanted (with the extra screw in there).

But if you do decide to put a pickguard on yours, be sure you get the guard and the bracket from the same company!!...
I was looking at Ibanez (AM/AS series) - they've got the same screw yours does, as does my Epi ES 339 - never noticed or thought about it til now.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:

As soon as I get around to finding a photo hosting site that doesn’t charge...

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars