The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-04-2014, 06:00 PM

Default Martin dc15me glued saddle?

Hey people 1st post !
I got a martin dc15me a few days ago and I'm really enjoying it but the action is a bit too high for me. I've lowered acoustic saddles loads of times without any problem but when I tried to remove it it was stuck hard Could it possibly be glued in place?? the problem is made worse by the fact that there is not much of the saddle showing to get a good grip of with pliers. any Ideas how to get the saddle out without causing any damage? Any help would be greatly appreciated !
Old 03-04-2014, 06:50 PM

It shouldn't be glued in. I've used two techniques:

Use a pair a vise grips to hold it firmly. I grab one end of the saddle and try to lever it up.

Get a sharp chisel, turn it upside down and jam it firmly against the end of the saddle flush with the bridge. Then lever the saddle upwards.

I view it philosophically if I accidentally destroy a saddle when doing things like this.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

I had an identical problem with a Taylor owned by a student. I used needle-nose pliers in the same way Tony used the chisel (if you are too short on saddle the chisel might be best). The pliers will be parallel to the saddle and flush with the bridge. Then I was able to lift the saddle out by raising the handle of the pliers while leaving the tip on the bridge (put 2 layers of masking tape on bridge). The problem with the Taylor was a very gooey but not hard residue inside the saddle slot. I called Taylor and they said it is rare, but they put linseed oil on the bridge and the tech thought some must have seeped into the slot and dried up. I had to scrape the gunk out of the slot also.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:26 PM

Thanks guys! I tried again at the weekend and managed to get it out with pliers
I was scared I would cause damage I just had to use a bit more forceful .
Old 03-25-2014, 06:54 AM

I use my fret pulling pliers to remove tight saddles.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Howard View Post
I use my fret pulling pliers to remove tight saddles.
For those that don't know what Brian is talking about they look similar to this and I agree is the easiest way to get a tight saddle out:

Old 03-27-2014, 09:21 PM

Uhmmm...just a thought.

If currently the action is too high, and there is also 'not much saddle showing', how much will be left of it showing after you lower it.....???

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair