The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-19-2010, 05:38 AM

There are many more knowledgeable than I who have posted above, but if I may just add, I like ebony best because, to me, it seems to have the 'bounce' and slickness when playing like a maple board does on a strat. Of my guitars, it is the rosewood board guitars which get played least. Just a personal preference for the feel, colour, durability and 'coolness' of ebony.
I smiled at the banjo gag.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
And even that I don't understand- when I play, my fingers almost never actually touch the fretboard. People must really mash the strings down to do that kind of damage.
The wear is between the strings, so it is not a result of the strings touching the wood. I used to think that it only occurred with long fingernails, but I have also seen it happen when the nails were trimmed. Since the skin is softer than wood, I have to conclude that it is an example of a curious phenomenon where the softer material wears the harder material because dirt imbeds in the skin, acting like sandpaper.
In contrast to what has been reported, I have heard a difference in sound when changing fretboard woods. It is subtle, but I hear a warmer, less sustaining sound with rosewood. I believe that the sound difference is mainly due to a difference in hardness, rather than damping. That is because the fingerboard is frequently glued to a much softer wood like mahogany.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:01 PM

Forgot to mention that on my Taylor 714ce the ebony board has rosewood binding. Its so sweeeeeeet.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:34 PM

I find the ebony to be harder and smoother with with less pores and doesn't seem as dry as rosewood and consider it to be superior for me.

I don't get why it's widely used on electrics other than tradition.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

The fretboard material for my two guitars was selected by the builders, for aesthetics and probably to some degree for tonal considerations. The ebony board looks 'right' on its guitar, and the rosewood board looks 'right' on its guitar. Each guitar is a total package, for aesthetics and tone, and I let the builders make these choices because I realize my limitations in knowledge and talent.

I don't notice any difference in touch/feel of the different material, and I'll never know what it would sound like if the board material was changed; I won't be doing that. If the rosewood one is worn down in 30 years I won't care about that either; it would be a nice problem to have because that would mean I'm still playing in my 80s.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 08-19-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
The fretboard material for my two guitars was selected by the builders, for aesthetics and probably to some degree for tonal considerations. The ebony board looks 'right' on its guitar, and the rosewood board looks 'right' on its guitar. Each guitar is a total package, for aesthetics and tone, and I let the builders make these choices because I realize my limitations in knowledge and talent.

I don't notice any difference in touch/feel of the different material, and I'll never know what it would sound like if the board material was changed; I won't be doing that. If the rosewood one is worn down in 30 years I won't care about that either; it would be a nice problem to have because that would mean I'm still playing in my 80s.
well said, chuck.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hilyard View Post
... So to whet my appetite and keep my spirits from dampening, I went with a different material on the baritone Matt Mustapick made for me. He had this gorgeous fingerboard blank of cocobolo and a bridge blank to match. I love the look and often stare at the fingerboard in between tunes to keep my love for guitar from dampening.

And my Mustapick cocobolo fingerboard and bridge:

It was pictures of David's guitar that made me go for a Cocobolo fretboard on my current Mustapick Baritone build (see below). I really couldn't convince myself that going to a more non-traditional fretboard material would be worse than ebony. I love seeing the wood grain on the Cocobolo over boring black of ebony! Other people will have their own preferences.

I have guitars with both ebony and rosewood fretboards and the differences I perceive in the guitars are dominated by features other than the fretboard. Regarding longevity, I have to agree with other posts that I won't be around long enough to worry about it!

Old 08-19-2010, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

I'm glad I made the decision to go with Cocobolo on my Mustapick. It looks amazing! I have no idea how it affects the sound. Matt thought it would sound and look good, so I went for it. I think it looks and feels fantastic.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:31 PM

My ears (who sometimes have a mind of their own) like the dampening of Ebony when paired with Rosewood type (low dampening) back and sides. The tone can get........ kinda brash with a "lively" fingerboard and "lively" back and sides. Of course this is a subtle difference. I have experimented with 4 different fingerboards each or 2 different guitars. I also hear a little extra "zing" when using a low dampening fingerboard with Mahogany type (higher dampening) back and sides. I rarely use Ebony bridges. With Ebony fingerboards I either dye Indian or Brazilian Rosewood black, or use jet black African Blackwood for the bridge. I'm just starting this custom build with an Adi top, Honduras Mahogany back and side and Honduran Rosewood fingerboard and bridge. Honduran Rosewood, (like African Blackwood) is really dense/heavy, but has really low dampening. IMHO if you want something that's "different" Honduran Rosewood makes excellent fingerboards.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reviveourhomes View Post
I was was wondering why typically you see Ebony used for the bridge/Fretboard on higher priced guitars but you see Rosewood used on most cheaper guitars. Is it purely a wood cost/Cosmetic upgrade? Is there any sound/performance advantage to using Ebony over Rosewood? I actually prefer the look of the Rosewood but I hardly ever see it on upscale guitars. Just curious....
The Gibson Advanced Jumbo (Bozeman) I had was rosewood. I have had preference for ebony in the past and liked it on guitars I've had that were ebony fretboards, but none of my present guitars sport an ebony fretboard.

I think in the early days (the first "Golden Era?") ebony was seen as a premium wood. Also increased stiffness for necks I think?

Traditionally now a lot of the upline stuff comes with ebony just out of habit, trussrods take care of the rest of the world's necks.
It never bothered me that my AJ was rosewood board, certainly.

I handled a Les Paul in a store once with an ebony fretboard that wasn't finished right or something: it felt like 600 grit wetRdry! Every other ebony fretboard I've experienced was noticeably smooth. 'Course, so was the lacquered rosewood on a couple of Rickenbackers I had.

I always thought it was a nice bonus to get ebony on even lower end Larrivees. I can feel the rosewood on my Guild D40 as being not quite as slick as ebony would be, but it doesn't bother me much. If my fingers get to the right fret on time, the rosewood can be counted upon to do its job of holding the frets in place just fine.

Last edited by backliner; 08-19-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:28 PM

'Damped' and 'dampened' are used interchangably in acoustics and vibratory mechanics. I prefer 'damped' as it has fewer alternative meanings (as did my Vibration and Aeroelasticity prof), but 'dampened' is acceptable. FWIW, I use Macasser in lieu of Madagascar and Gabon when the customer does not take issue...a little lower density and i like the response.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 310Taylor View Post
I completely disagree with your evaluation of ebony. I believe you said fretboard material on an acoustic does not affect tone. Thats absurd. I cannot say whether ebony produces better tone than rosewood for sure, thats splitting hairs and is just my opinion...
What kind of first - hand experience do you have to back up your "opinion"?

Jim McCarthy
Old 08-20-2010, 12:20 AM

I sort of identify Martin with ebony and Gibson with rosewood.

I think both woods do a fab job at looking and sounding great and that fretboard and bridge material make a marginal difference in tone.

Gibson you don't want it and Martin got too much (tone that is) so its a total cosmetic and tradition for me.

Harmonics101
Old 10-22-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reviveourhomes View Post
I was was wondering why typically you see Ebony used for the bridge/Fretboard on higher priced guitars but you see Rosewood used on most cheaper guitars. Is it purely a wood cost/Cosmetic upgrade? Is there any sound/performance advantage to using Ebony over Rosewood? I actually prefer the look of the Rosewood but I hardly ever see it on upscale guitars. Just curious....
ebony is about 20 times the price of rosewood and guitarmakers use it to keep down the cost of their guitars.Ebony is stronger and adds strength to the neck of the guitar.Tone and feel are very subjective things.For example,I own an acoustic with a rosewood bridge it is around 10 years old.The strings have begun to cut into the rosewood forming quite deep grooves.I don't know from experience but i believe that this wouldn't happen if the bridge was made from ebony
Old 10-22-2010, 12:55 PM

The Martin OM 21 has a Rosewood Fretboard and sounds and plays great IMHO...

It's the Music That Really Matters!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion