The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-18-2008, 08:14 AM

I don't feel they're the value they used to be.

TK
Old 10-18-2008, 08:33 AM
Winning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorphile View Post

TK
agreed, though my reasons are mainly due to the messed up global economy.

reagsbydesign (ree-g'ss-b'i-d'sine) n.1. expect the unexpected.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:39 AM

Default Lifetime guarantee ...

... to the original owner for both Taylor and Martin. You pay extra for this support. I'm not sure about the guarantee for others brands you mentioned, but if it's not the same as Martin or Taylor you should expect to pay less, all else being equal.

As inferred by another poster, when a salesman starts bad-mouthing the competition I'm oughtta there!

Ed

2009 CA Cargo Raw, 2006 Collings OM-1 SS light build, 2004 Taylor 714ce, 2000 Taylor 310K, 1991 Martin HD-28, 1971 Martin 0-18, 1967 Guild F-30

2006 Ovation Legend 6756LX 12 string, 2004 Taylor 354ce 12 string, 1976 Guild G312-NT 12 string (dreadnaught shape)

1966 Martin T-15 tiple, Mele koa ukulele
Old 10-18-2008, 09:06 AM

Not overpriced at all...I think they are worth what you pay. Also remember you are paying for the company as well and Taylor is a total customer support company. Top notch customer care and satisfaction.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:55 PM

Default Taylor Pricing

Ya'll gets what ya'll pays for.

Taylors are actually one of the more reasonably priced USA built guitars.

FWIW: Look around for a screamin' deal on a pre-loved Taylor. If not sure about a certain model Taylor that You find, post it here at AGF.

There's a bunch of very knowledgeable luthiers/experts who can help You.
2001 Guild JF30-12 ATB
1999 DeArmond/Guild Starfire
Fender Stratocaster
Washburn D10S12
Washburn D11T BL
Guild GAD G212e NT
Guild GAD50 ATB
Old 10-18-2008, 03:11 PM

I agree with what everyone else has said so far, but I don't know if it has been mentioned that Taylor has really good public relations, advertising and corporate structure. I love that the main owner of the company takes the time to put out videos, magazines and interviews explaining things about the acoustic guitar that we always fight about. It shows a level of comittment that I appreciate. Also, their clean and simple advertising techniques really illustrates Taylors clean and consitent quality control. There is just something about the image that Taylor has put forth to the public that really appeals to me.

i dont know if anyone else feels that way, but i do. haha

Electric
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Blues Junior
Old 10-18-2008, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reags View Post
agreed, though my reasons are mainly due to the messed up global economy.
+1..

i can get good GS guitar for $1200 used...that's great..for the buyers..

some of the Limited Models are great!!!..

Goodall Jumbo Royal Hawaiian

Merill & Co C-41

Merill & Co OM-18
Old 10-18-2008, 03:36 PM

Thumbs up Thank you for your comments...decision made

I went back to the stores this morning (Oct. 18) and did what was suggested. Closed my eyes and played about 30 instruments from different makers. Seven of these were Taylors.

I kept coming back to one instrument in particular that really sounded sweet and the neck felt like it was made for my hands.

A Taylor 714 ce.

Thank for all your help - I love this guitar!

(Sorry, the image doesn't do it justice)

Darrell

Old 10-18-2008, 04:04 PM

Congrats on a fine purchase.

I was reading this and wanted to say that I had narrowed my search down to taylor and did the same thing. Played every taylor in the store from a 3xx seriesw all the way up to the 914ce.

The difference between the 914 and the 714 was very slight and to another persons ear, the 714 may have sounded better.

For the 'bang for the buck' it's hard to beat the 714.

Service, playability great tone, sturdy construction all great. The expression system is 'Taylor made' *G* for these guitars and I like it so much that I actually prefer the plugged in sound better than un-plugged. To me that is saying a lot since the Taylor sound, especially when you get to the 714 models and up, is tops to begin with.

Betcha you agree with me - don't you? The system is so perfectly set that I rarely move the bass or treble knobs off center. Even the smallest change from center takes away from that perfect taylor tone.

You were smart. You bit the bullet, and 'bought once'. This should keep you happy and keep GAS attacks away (for a while).

http://www.in2guitar.com/

Taylor 914CE

Stonebridge gs 23 cr

Old 10-18-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee1up View Post
...the two guitar shops we have locally suggest that Taylor's and Martins are over-priced for what you get. ...
The inevitable question to such a suggestion is:

If they are over-priced, why is it that both companies sell so many more guitars than anyone else? The market decides what is over priced and there are on the order of 70,000 people buying Taylors each year and a larger number of Martins being sold.

The quality of Taylors is so high that it caused several competitors to improve their own standards. Of course, if one doesn't like the tone and feel, the fit, finish and consistency isn't going to justify the price.

I had a very nice Breedlove, but I traded it in for yet another Taylor, not because the quality wasn't as good but because I didn't care for the tone or action.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorphile View Post

TK
Are you allowing for inflation? I bought an 814c in 1996 for an amount that, when adjusted for inflation, very nearly equals the street price of an 814ce today minus the price of the Expression System. In fact, the GA8 is significantly less expensive, today, than my 814c was 12 years ago.

$1,000 dollars in 1995 is the equivalent of between $1,348 and $1,360 in 2007.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:25 PM

stop looking at the headstock. play what you think will sound the best. from ALL manufacturers. meaning, if you're looking for a GA/OM body with spruce/rosewood, play all of them on the wall. you never know what might end up surprising you... keep an open mind.

i had a friend go in looking to buy a super expensive takamine and ended up buying an atlas series breedlove.

playability and action can easily be adjusted...
Old 10-18-2008, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on a wonderful guitar! The 714 is probably my favorite Taylor in the lineup.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:54 AM
Winning!

Daz, you are one lucky man - followed your heart and BAM, a sure winner. Congrats

reagsbydesign (ree-g'ss-b'i-d'sine) n.1. expect the unexpected.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlee View Post
stop looking at the headstock. play what you think will sound the best. from ALL manufacturers. meaning, if you're looking for a GA/OM body with spruce/rosewood, play all of them on the wall. you never know what might end up surprising you... keep an open mind.

i had a friend go in looking to buy a super expensive takamine and ended up buying an atlas series breedlove.

playability and action can easily be adjusted...
+100

I have owned 8 Taylors (some costing almost 3 grand), and several other brands as well.

There is no doubt that Taylors are great guitars, but the fact that they are made in the USA means that it costs them alot more to manufacture them and they have to charge more for them in order to make money.

Are they over priced?

Yes and no.

If you want a quality instrument that is made in the USA... then no.

If you want a quality instrument and don't care if it's made in the USA or not... then yes.

I currently own a five hundred dollar Yamaha that sounds just wonderful both acoustically and plugged in. Does a three thousand dollar Taylor sound better acoustically?... Maybe a little... Does a three thousand dollar Taylor sound better plugged in?... to me, the five hundred dollar Yamaha blows the Taylor (ES) out of the water.

I know sound is subjective and this is JMO.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion