The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-07-2010, 03:12 AM

Default eastman vs martin?

I have been looking to buy a new guitar. I origanally was looking at the ovation 1778tx. I played this guitar and loved the tone, but hated the back shape. I decide that while I am a novice I would like a martin. My father always played martins so that is what I was raised on. I am a believer that nothing sounds like a martin. If I were to get a martin my budget dictates that I stick with the D-1 Series or the X-Series. One of my favorite musicians however plays an Eastman. I have been looking at Eastmans, and for the money I feel that I can get a much nicer guitar. I am hoping that all of you can give me some help. Do I go with the laminate martin, even solid body martin with a laminate head stock and neck, or do I go with the eastman all solid wood. The fact of the matter is I can get a nice used eastman 4 series or better for cheaper than I can get a martin 1 series or x series. What does everyone think. Thank you for all of your opinions.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:18 AM

Not sure what your budget...but a nice used Martin if you can swing it, will last you a while. I would try and stick with D-18 or higher if you can swing that. But buy used, you will get a better sounding guitar for less or same money, often much better.

Olson Brazilian Dread #1325
Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
Olson Tiger Myrtle Dread #1355
Olson Brazilian Jumbo #1351
Olson 12-string Jumbo (one of only a few)
Martin D-42 Johnny Cash #51/200 (only 80 made)
And a few others

Quite a few limited edition and rare Martins
-----------------

http://www.kekomusic.com
Old 04-07-2010, 03:36 AM

My general rule of thumb is to buy the best guitar you can afford -possibly used in this case .The old saying " buy it cheap, buy it twice " comes to mind .Im not a fan of the cheaper Martins-those stratabond necks make me cringe -thou for the money their not terrible .Id look for a used HD-28 , or a well played in D-28 - Ask yourself if that Eastman would really be what you want for the long run . Many Martin owners have theirs for their entire lives -they get better after all those years of playing -
Old 04-07-2010, 03:54 AM
Charter Member

neither all martins nor all eastmans sound alike. that being said, one of the nicest guitars i played last year was an eastman AC822, which is an om. sounded incredible, great finish and look, nice build quality, too.

if a major reason you're buying a martin is the name, there are some nice guitars out there in other brands for reasonable prices. seagull's all solid guitars, blueridge solid guitars, larrivees, all-solid yamahas are just the first few brands that come to mind - there are more.

perhaps you could get out there and try all the guitars you can get your hands on for a while.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:58 AM

eastmans sound nothing like a martin. best deal out there are blue ridge. i recently bought a br140a for just over 6 bills. sounds just like a d18ge[almost 3000]. adirondack top and solid mahogany sides and back. amazing guitar.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:11 AM

Default thanks all so far for your opinion

What are some of you opinions to the responses to this thread? I feel like martin is the overall consinsess, but not a cheap on. I am at a bit of loss because the only local store sells Ibanze's and that is it. I haven't ever had the opportunity to play a blueridge, but I have heard they are great guitars. Do you all think that is a more reasonable option than an Eastman?
Old 04-07-2010, 04:20 AM
Charter Member

i've played a lot of blueridges, and they sound good - and much more martinlike than eastmans. i feel eastmans may have the edge in quality, but blueridge makes some good guitars with a warm, full sound and more bottom end than some guitars have. they're also a great value.

check out these all-solid bluerigdes:
http://www.maurysmusic.com/blueridge...dy_guitars?b=1

i also recommend guild GADS as great bang for your all-solid guitar buck. good sounding, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acehigh08 View Post
What are some of you opinions to the responses to this thread? I feel like martin is the overall consinsess, but not a cheap on. I am at a bit of loss because the only local store sells Ibanze's and that is it. I haven't ever had the opportunity to play a blueridge, but I have heard they are great guitars. Do you all think that is a more reasonable option than an Eastman?
Old 04-07-2010, 04:29 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

You ought to watch used stuff. Chinese guitars, no matter how nice are usually 50 cents on the dollar used. For how the economy has been I have seen Martins in the same boat. Patience and scanning used stuff will get you alot more guitar.
Another vote for Blueridge quality. Thin necks BTW
Old 04-07-2010, 04:35 AM

If you want a Martin get a Martin, but I absolutely agree with cpabolting about going used and getting an all wood model, even if it means saving and waiting a little longer.

There are a lot of very good clones out there, some come close to the Martin sound but none of them sound "exactly" like a Martin, period. The only thing that sounds exactly like a Taylor is a Taylor, exactly like a Collings is a Collings, etc.

If you don't need the Martin sound get the Eastman. If you want the Martin sound get a Martin, and a used all wood model is my recommendation.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 04-07-2010, 05:00 AM

My advice is to make sure to use a seller that has a "try before you buy" policy, and who has a liberal "no questions asked" return policy.

With those two things you have some protection from buying a guitar with problems, or from buying a guitar that you don't like.

Shill - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shill
Sockpuppet - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sock_puppet_(internet)
Forumspam - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forum_spam
Old 04-07-2010, 05:41 AM

As a Martin fan, it just about shocked me to read the OP's question.
I do understand that market forces have caused Martin to develop more affordable product. Martin was has been the revered benchmark.

That said, Eastman Strings impresses me. I have three of their products each well made and playable.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:08 AM

Default Eastman's are great!

Eastman makes a great instrument, and don't let anyone here tell you otherwise. They are handmade, have nitro or varnish finishes, and if they were made in the U.S. instead of China would probably be priced closer to Collings, high end Martins, SCGC, etc. The one drawback is because they aren't that well known and are often considered "just another import" they take a bigger hit in value on the used market. That being said, if you find a 2nd hand Eastman you will get a ridiculous deal on a great handmade instrument. I've owned 1 of their mandolins (and will probably end up with another) and have come very close to pulling the trigger on a couple of their guitars.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:29 AM

Well, this is a chance to honor your dad. Believe me, this could mean a lot to him, and although I like an Eastman, " nothing sounds like a Martin" probably means a lot to him.

Guitars come and go.

You are fortunate to have a dad that played guitar, double so that he played acoustic.

Does he still play?

Anyway, here's my 'vote' ...MARTIN as the best thing to do.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:36 AM

I have and play both Martins and Eastmans....there is no comparison to be made. They are entirely different creatures. Each has its merits and limitations (that can be said about ANY manufacturer comparison) and BOTH are excellent instruments.
However, if you like and can afford a solid wood Martin..shop until you find that fits your hand, your ear and your body size and go for it...you will never regret buying a Martin Guitar.
Eastman Guitars will be around for a long time to come...one may be in your future...or not.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:40 AM

I'm anxious to try out (or hear about) the new Eastman E10D and E20D dreads. Adi tops with mahogany or RW b/s.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion