The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Which guitar do you think is best suited for beginners like me?
Yamaha FG730S 30 58.82%
Seagull Entourage Rustic 7 13.73%
Yamaha FS720S 4 7.84%
Washburn WG16S 0 0%
Seagull S6 5 9.80%
Taylor Big Baby 2 3.92%
Cort Luce L450C NS 1 1.96%
Epiphone EJ200 1 1.96%
Lag Summer Series GLA200DCE 1 1.96%
Fender Kingman SCE 0 0%
Crafter D-6 0 0%
Aria AW75 0 0%
Vintage V1300 Series 0 0%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2011, 06:12 AM

I'm new here, and this is my first post.

I really don't have the experience of some of the others, but I'll throw my 2 cents in.

I started playing about 20 years ago. My first guitar was a Washburn that I bought new for about $150.00. Had 2 beginning teachers, and then found a 3rd that I actually paid for lessons, he thought it was time to get a new guitar for me. He helped my find and purchase a Vantage VS-25SCE solid cedar top guitar. It is a nice looking and great sounding guitar. Unfortunately that teacher moved away shortly after that, and I didn't find another teacher, eventually putting the guitar in it's case and in the closet never to be played again until just recently.

My seventeen year old son expressed an interest in learning to play, and asked to "borrow" my guitar. I know how that goes with kids, and possession becomes reality for them. So I asked if he were serious about really wanting to learn. He said he was, so I told him I would try and find another guitar for him to play.

That's when the fun began. I started doing research for the best guitar for the money for a beginner.

These two links helped me make a decision. Best Acoustic Guitars and The Guitar Medic

After a lot of searching, I found a Seagull S6 that I purchased solely on what I had read on the internet. I know, that's not the way to do it, but I had forgotten most of what I learned 20 years ago, so I had the guitar shipped into the local store where I could at least see it and have someone play it before I took it out. I could have rejected it, and gotten my money back, but there was no need.

The sound was amazing. Full rich and mellow. It actually played, and sounded better than my beloved Vantage.

I ended up letting my son use the Vantage, and I am now playing the Seagull.

I got the "Learn & Master Guitar" DVDs and books, and my son and I are learning together.

There has been a lot of advice already given, but what I would say is to buy the guitar that feels good, and sounds like you want it to sound to you. You'll be happier, and will stick with it if what you play yourself sounds good even as a beginner.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:24 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaxeman View Post
I'm new here, and this is my first post.

I really don't have the experience of some of the others, but I'll throw my 2 cents in.

I started playing about 20 years ago. My first guitar was a Washburn that I bought new for about $150.00. Had 2 beginning teachers, and then found a 3rd that I actually paid for lessons, he thought it was time to get a new guitar for me. He helped my find and purchase a Vantage VS-25SCE solid cedar top guitar. It is a nice looking and great sounding guitar. Unfortunately that teacher moved away shortly after that, and I didn't find another teacher, eventually putting the guitar in it's case and in the closet never to be played again until just recently.

My seventeen year old son expressed an interest in learning to play, and asked to "borrow" my guitar. I know how that goes with kids, and possession becomes reality for them. So I asked if he were serious about really wanting to learn. He said he was, so I told him I would try and find another guitar for him to play.

That's when the fun began. I started doing research for the best guitar for the money for a beginner.

These two links helped me make a decision. Best Acoustic Guitars and The Guitar Medic

After a lot of searching, I found a Seagull S6 that I purchased solely on what I had read on the internet. I know, that's not the way to do it, but I had forgotten most of what I learned 20 years ago, so I had the guitar shipped into the local store where I could at least see it and have someone play it before I took it out. I could have rejected it, and gotten my money back, but there was no need.

The sound was amazing. Full rich and mellow. It actually played, and sounded better than my beloved Vantage.

I ended up letting my son use the Vantage, and I am now playing the Seagull.

I got the "Learn & Master Guitar" DVDs and books, and my son and I are learning together.

There has been a lot of advice already given, but what I would say is to buy the guitar that feels good, and sounds like you want it to sound to you. You'll be happier, and will stick with it if what you play yourself sounds good even as a beginner.
Have you ever had any experience with the Yamaha FG730S? How does it compare to Seagull S6 or maybe you can give me some review on this Seagull guitar, please?

Thanks you.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:52 AM

The Seagull S6 is probably a better guitar but it cost way more than the Yamaha so I don't know that it's a fair comparison.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:59 AM

I thought so too, but judging by:

This
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVultlBCf40

and this
http://soundcloud.com/sinopsycho/set...-vs-seagull-s6

seems like its wise to choose Yamaha cause then I'll spend less and the sound produced actually quite similar, only thing is that Yamaha has 'weaker' bass sound..if i may say
Old 10-04-2011, 09:02 AM

Just buy one already!! j/k... my FG730S has as much bass as an HD28, just not as loud. Seriously though, reason i like to play mine is the tone. it's perfect to my ears. not too loud, not too soft, not too jangly, but not too woody. All my other guitars I've had either had too much of one thing or not enough of the other.

Last edited by Irondale; 10-04-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einziger171 View Post
How do you think does the above string compare to D'Addario EJ16 or Martin 80/20?
Einziger, interesting thread.

Phosphor Bronze ("PB") strings such as the Pearse strings typically have a warmer sound than 80-20 strings such as the D'Addario EJs or Martin 80-20s. So, when a guitar is overly bright using 80-20 strings, it's possible to take the edge off the brightness with PB strings.

On the other hand, some guitars can sound muted and lifeless with PBs, and they do better with 80-20s. I use PBs on a couple of my guitars but I prefer 80-20s on one.

Strings are cheap and it's fun to try a bunch to pick the one that sounds best to your ear.

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor (by Harv L), Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irondale View Post
Just buy one already!! j/k... my FG730S has as much bass as an HD28, just not as loud. Seriously though, reason i like to play mine is the tone. it's perfect to my ears. not too loud, not too soft, not too jangly, but not too woody. All my other guitars I've had either had too much of one thing or not enough of the other.
HAHA lol soo sorryy for asking lots and lots of questions. I actually learned from these guys over here at the forum that we need to consider a lot of things before deciding what to buy, so... hehe

Don't worry as soon as i get mine i'll post it here, promise.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einziger171 View Post
HAHA lol soo sorryy for asking lots and lots of questions. I actually learned from these guys over here at the forum that we need to consider a lot of things before deciding what to buy, so... hehe

Don't worry as soon as i get mine i'll post it here, promise.
Hi Einziger,

I think you are doing the right thing researching it first but there are 2 important rules to buying guitars in this price range as far as I'm concearned...

1. Guitars vary, hugely! Some FG730s will have plenty of bass, others less. Price does not always = quality tone also. For example, when I bought my Taylor 214ce it beat the pants off both the other 214ce in the shop and the 314ce in the shop. Even though the 314ce is 50% more in cost and has solid back/sides etc. Why? the 314ce might have been a worse guitar than a typical 314ce.

2.Try before you buy. Make sure you can play the guitar and compare against others in the same price range if possible.

FB

2007 Faith Venus Hi Gloss
2010 Taylor 214ce
Tanglewood TW40 SD VS
2008 Taylor Baby (Mahogany)
Cheapo Jose Ferrer Nylon
Old 10-05-2011, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleabyte View Post
Hi Einziger,

I think you are doing the right thing researching it first but there are 2 important rules to buying guitars in this price range as far as I'm concearned...

1. Guitars vary, hugely! Some FG730s will have plenty of bass, others less. Price does not always = quality tone also. For example, when I bought my Taylor 214ce it beat the pants off both the other 214ce in the shop and the 314ce in the shop. Even though the 314ce is 50% more in cost and has solid back/sides etc. Why? the 314ce might have been a worse guitar than a typical 314ce.

2.Try before you buy. Make sure you can play the guitar and compare against others in the same price range if possible.

FB
These are important words. Let me add numbers 3, 4, and 5 to that.

3. Although it's important to enjoy the sound while you're playing it, also have someone else play it while you're listening. It gives you a different perspective.

4. Recognize that human sensitivity to high and low frequencies decreases as audio volume decreases. What sounds balanced at loud volumes may sound weak in bass at low volumes and what sounds balanced at low volumes may sound over-bassed at high volumes. Make sure to audition the guitar at different volumes of play and with the different styles of music you want to play.

5. Recognize that different people may have different hearing response in addition to response preference, and that different listening environments effect the response curve they hear. The former partially explains the different opinions of a particular guitar model's frequency curve, while the latter explains why a guitar may sound different when you get it home than it did in the shop, different in a smaller room than a large one, and different when played outdoors around a campfire.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:26 AM

With all the buying and selling over the years. If I could do it all over again, I'd just go and buy a FG700S. Absolutely the best value IMO.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:28 AM

Cort Earth series, 100 or 200, but the Yammie will be just fine also.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 10-05-2011, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe View Post
These are important words. Let me add numbers 3, 4, and 5 to that.

3. Although it's important to enjoy the sound while you're playing it, also have someone else play it while you're listening. It gives you a different perspective.

4. Recognize that human sensitivity to high and low frequencies decreases as audio volume decreases. What sounds balanced at loud volumes may sound weak in bass at low volumes and what sounds balanced at low volumes may sound over-bassed at high volumes. Make sure to audition the guitar at different volumes of play and with the different styles of music you want to play.

5. Recognize that different people may have different hearing response in addition to response preference, and that different listening environments effect the response curve they hear. The former partially explains the different opinions of a particular guitar model's frequency curve, while the latter explains why a guitar may sound different when you get it home than it did in the shop, different in a smaller room than a large one, and different when played outdoors around a campfire.
Hey thanks for the tips! WIll definitely consider all of it...
Old 10-06-2011, 09:01 AM

I have both the Seagull Entourage Mini Jumbo and the Yamaha FG 730S and i much prefer the sound of the Yamaha FG 730S also its best for strumming if you like such ..the Yamaha with Solid Spruce top and Rosewood back sides i found to be best for me ..but its your choice and best trying also others out for sure.. before making your mind up..Meantime all the best in your choice
Old 10-06-2011, 10:24 AM

Plenty of replies here but just to add mine .

I owned the FG730S for over a year and it truly is an excellent guitar. I must point out after reading a few comments on the bass response of it. It is a little tight when new but it plays out nicely after a short while and new 80/20 Martin strings will help on day of purchase, as pointed out the factory ones are not great. It is one of the stand out guitars i've owned even in the company of guitars costing 4 figure sums.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:47 AM

The 730 is a nice guitar but I really like the 720 folk. My new LS6 is also a very nicely put together guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion