The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Which guitar do you think is best suited for beginners like me?
Yamaha FG730S 30 58.82%
Seagull Entourage Rustic 7 13.73%
Yamaha FS720S 4 7.84%
Washburn WG16S 0 0%
Seagull S6 5 9.80%
Taylor Big Baby 2 3.92%
Cort Luce L450C NS 1 1.96%
Epiphone EJ200 1 1.96%
Lag Summer Series GLA200DCE 1 1.96%
Fender Kingman SCE 0 0%
Crafter D-6 0 0%
Aria AW75 0 0%
Vintage V1300 Series 0 0%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-03-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhoffman View Post
I've only been playing (or, should I say-attempting to learn) guitar since January of this year. The problem with buying a guitar when you are first beginning is, you really don't have enough experience to know which guitar you'll be happy with. Take your time and hold a lot of guitars. Maybe learn a couple of simple chords so you can get an idea of how comfortable different sizes of guitars are and the difference in sound between them. I bought a dread and after awhile realized that I wasn't comfortable with a large guitar and also realize a bit wider neck with more space for my fingers was better for me as well. So, now that I knew what I really needed, I tried a bunch of guitars and ended up with a smaller size guitar with a 1.75 nut width. I'm much more comfortable playing now. I also like the sound of my guitar a bit better as well. Rather than making the same mistake and buying the wrong guitar to learn on, take the time to try out as many as you can in all price ranges and find out what you prefer, before you buy. There are also a lot of discussions in this forum about beginner guitars you might want to read.
Take your time so you end up with an instrument you really like and are comfortable with.
Larry
Oh yes. My dread was a Norman B18; a similar product to the Seagull only with a slimmer neck. My newer guitar is The Loar LO-16 and I'm very happy with it.
I have a small hand and sometimes i got easily tired, as I've mentioned in above replies. That far i know. And yeah i agree that its better to try out as many guitars as i can to know what i really need and want. Thank you.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Guitars View Post
You can't beat the Fg730s for 2x+ the money! The tuners hold forever, the tone is fantastic for strumming or picking. The weakest part is the factory strings! They are made to be on display and be played a lot. They are greasy and dead sounding. Put on your favorite set of strings and the guitar will sing even better!
IF you have large hands you may find the 1 11/16 difficult. But, for most it is very comfortable.
It is way beyond a beginners guitar. Don't let the price fool you. Many good, inexpensive guitars need a final set up to make the guitars really playable. The Yamahas set up is the best out of the box I have seen.
Oh and one more thing, if somehow I decided to get the Yamaha FG730S, what type of string should I get, since you mentioned that its quite important to change the string, according to you?
Old 10-03-2011, 10:32 PM

I've created a pool to just to act as an additional information to decide the well suited guitar for beginners like me. I can't say that i've never played guitar, but I haven't really dedicated myself into learning. I feel like now is the time. I understand that I cannot judge my decision based on this poll, I just want to know how people think for these selections of guitars for beginners. I am compiling information from the suggestions of everybody up until the creation of this poll and from information I found on the website below. Thanks in advance for giving your thought on this one.

http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/gu...-300-217607/10
Old 10-03-2011, 11:03 PM

That's a big poll. I voted Yamaha fg730s. Really though, you can't go wrong with either a Seagull or a Yamaha. I have one of each.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.crabbe View Post
That's a big poll. I voted Yamaha fg730s. Really though, you can't go wrong with either a Seagull or a Yamaha. I have one of each.
Thanks for voting. I know, I almost decide my heart for the Yamaha FG730S as well but then more people gave their suggestions so i thought it would give me some better idea with this. Thanks.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:15 AM

Gotta say, and I know I'm in the minority, I didn't like the 730s. I bought one in Jan this year and by May I had to sell it on ebay cos I didn't like it.

Build quality is good, but the tone was seriously lacking in bass for a body of that size. It sounded thin and lifeless. I bought a Tanglewood slope-shoulder instead which I am happier with.

2007 Faith Venus Hi Gloss
2010 Taylor 214ce
Tanglewood TW40 SD VS
2008 Taylor Baby (Mahogany)
Cheapo Jose Ferrer Nylon
Old 10-04-2011, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleabyte View Post
Gotta say, and I know I'm in the minority, I didn't like the 730s. I bought one in Jan this year and by May I had to sell it on ebay cos I didn't like it.

Build quality is good, but the tone was seriously lacking in bass for a body of that size. It sounded thin and lifeless. I bought a Tanglewood slope-shoulder instead which I am happier with.
Thanks for voting.. hmm I didn't really pay much attention to the bass sound when I tried it, should focus on that next time around. Thanks for the insight.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleabyte View Post
Gotta say, and I know I'm in the minority, I didn't like the 730s. ....Build quality is good, but the tone was seriously lacking in bass for a body of that size.
I would agree with this statement. My Yamaha FG730 does not project any meaningful bass either. I wouldn't call it a bad sounding guitar though. I guess it all comes down to taste. In the hands on my friend, the Yamaha sings.. but in mine, it is kinda.. "eh". I have found I like my Cedar topped guitar better then my FG730s, because it sounds warmer.. something the FG730s lacks. Its all about finding what you like.

When I went to buy my first guitar, the two finalists after hours at the store were the FG730s and the Entourage Rustic. I went with the Yamaha because I fell for the gloss finish, the bindings on the fret/headstock, the fancy abalone .. basically the FG730s is built very well and has a lot of nice visual features. On the other hand, the Entourage Rustic is a very basic guitar.. very well made, but basic.

In retrospect, I probably should have went with the Entourage Rustic, because it did sound better. But, the satin finish and basic appointments made it look "cheaper" when compared to the Yamaha... I bought for "the whole package".. when I should have bought for the best sounding. That's why I voted for the Entourage Rustic... I think it would behoove you to at least try one to see if you like the sound better.

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 10-04-2011, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasper View Post
I would agree with this statement. My Yamaha FG730 does not project any meaningful bass either. I wouldn't call it a bad sounding guitar though. I guess it all comes down to taste. In the hands on my friend, the Yamaha sings.. but in mine, it is kinda.. "eh". I have found I like my Cedar topped guitar better then my FG730s, because it sounds warmer.. something the FG730s lacks. Its all about finding what you like.

When I went to buy my first guitar, the two finalists after hours at the store were the FG730s and the Entourage Rustic. I went with the Yamaha because I fell for the gloss finish, the bindings on the fret/headstock, the fancy abalone .. basically the FG730s is built very well and has a lot of nice visual features. On the other hand, the Entourage Rustic is a very basic guitar.. very well made, but basic.

In retrospect, I probably should have went with the Entourage Rustic, because it did sound better. But, the satin finish and basic appointments made it look "cheaper" when compared to the Yamaha... I bought for "the whole package".. when I should have bought for the best sounding. That's why I voted for the Entourage Rustic... I think it would behoove you to at least try one to see if you like the sound better.
I'm gonna make sure i'll try that Seagull baby.. I haven't got chance to really look around town to get my hands to one of it. Thanks man!
Old 10-04-2011, 04:23 AM

I bought the Yamaha FG730S after doing a Search for fg730s on this forum and seeing how many experienced players with much more expensive guitars such as Martins and Taylors were raving about their FG730S. I have small hands and wanted the thinner neck, but also wanted a dreadnaught. I know the audio on You Tube isn't that great, but I also searched there for fg730s. These really inspired me: Video 1, video 2, and video 3.

I went to the local Guitar Center and asked the salesman to play the one on the wall for me in comparison to a Martin, since a neighbor of mine has two I like, the HD-28 and HD-35. Now I'm not saying the Yamaha is built anywhere near as rugged as a Martin, but the salesman switched back and forth between the the D-28 and FG730S, and my wife and I both thought the quality of the sound of the Yamaha was right up there close. I went home with that very FG730S and a bunch of accessories.

I had three accomplished guitarists, including my neighbor, play it, and their response has been, "Wow!" It sounds good when played with my neighbor's Martins. When I asked about the action, their response was, "Don't touch it, it's fine." One plays hard and the FG730S is loud but clear when played that way. Another plays very softly, as do I because of RSI, and it still had a volume adequate to balance his voice. I have some D'Addario EJ16,and Martin 80/20 and PB strings for it, but my instructor said the strings were fine and to play them until they get dull. I have and have enjoyed it immensely. It's good to know those far beyond my beginner status appreciate it.

I've gotten so curious about the comments on Bob Colosi's bone saddles that I ordered one and some bone pins for it. I'll put a set of the EJ16s on when I change the saddle, just because I'm dying to know what the others sound like on it. I consider this a guitar I'll probably keep the rest of my life, which was my intent in buying a guitar. I didn't want one I'd feel was a beginner guitar I had to replace. That doesn't mean I wouldn't love to have a HD-28 or nice Taylor as well, but I don't feel I have to have one.

So that's this newbie's experience with the FG730S. I've mostly given you the opinion of others who inspired me to buy and keep this guitar since my own opinion must be weighted with my inexperience.

Last edited by Moe; 10-04-2011 at 04:38 AM.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:19 AM

I voted for the FG730S, but would suggest you also try out the lesser priced FG700S. It will save you about $100 and you might like the tone as much, or more.

In the past I've owned both the FG730S and the FG720S and both, along with the FG700S, make wonderful guitars for the beginning player. When I purchased my FG730S the store had 2 or 3 to choose from and they were different sounding. I chose the one with more bass.

Good luck on your selection and you have a wise brother.

Gary
Yamaha NTX700
Recording King ROS-06
Greg Bennett OM 8CE
Yamaha CGX 171 SCF Flamenco
Ibanez AG95 DBS

Last edited by gary0319; 10-04-2011 at 05:43 AM.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe View Post
I bought the Yamaha FG730S after doing a Search for fg730s on this forum and seeing how many experienced players with much more expensive guitars such as Martins and Taylors were raving about their FG730S. I have small hands and wanted the thinner neck, but also wanted a dreadnaught. I know the audio on You Tube isn't that great, but I also searched there for fg730s. These really inspired me: Video 1, video 2, and video 3.

I went to the local Guitar Center and asked the salesman to play the one on the wall for me in comparison to a Martin, since a neighbor of mine has two I like, the HD-28 and HD-35. Now I'm not saying the Yamaha is built anywhere near as rugged as a Martin, but the salesman switched back and forth between the the D-28 and FG730S, and my wife and I both thought the quality of the sound of the Yamaha was right up there close. I went home with that very FG730S and a bunch of accessories.

I had three accomplished guitarists, including my neighbor, play it, and their response has been, "Wow!" It sounds good when played with my neighbor's Martins. When I asked about the action, their response was, "Don't touch it, it's fine." One plays hard and the FG730S is loud but clear when played that way. Another plays very softly, as do I because of RSI, and it still had a volume adequate to balance his voice. I have some D'Addario EJ16,and Martin 80/20 and PB strings for it, but my instructor said the strings were fine and to play them until they get dull. I have and have enjoyed it immensely. It's good to know those far beyond my beginner status appreciate it.

I've gotten so curious about the comments on Bob Colosi's bone saddles that I ordered one and some bone pins for it. I'll put a set of the EJ16s on when I change the saddle, just because I'm dying to know what the others sound like on it. I consider this a guitar I'll probably keep the rest of my life, which was my intent in buying a guitar. I didn't want one I'd feel was a beginner guitar I had to replace. That doesn't mean I wouldn't love to have a HD-28 or nice Taylor as well, but I don't feel I have to have one.

So that's this newbie's experience with the FG730S. I've mostly given you the opinion of others who inspired me to buy and keep this guitar since my own opinion must be weighted with my inexperience.
Hi Moe, yes I've seen those videos as well. Truly one of the major reasons why i thought it would be a good idea to pick FG730S.

I stumbled upon some videos regarding the outcome of changing the pins and saddle to the bone type few days ago and it really inspire me. I think I want to change those things to the bone type for whatever guitar that I would choose, in the end.

Thanks for the insight.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary0319 View Post
I voted for the FG730S, but would suggest you also try out the lesser priced FG700S. It will save you about $100 and you might like the tone as much, or more.

In the past I've owned both the FG730S and the FG720S and both, along with the FG720S, make wonderful guitars for the beginning player. When I purchased my FG730S the store had 2 or 3 to choose from and they were different sounding. I chose the one with more bass.

Good luck on your selection and you have a wise brother.

Gary
Thanks, Gary!
I should really pay attention to the bass sound of the Yamaha FG730S, it seems. Would do that!
Old 10-04-2011, 05:34 AM

Try the John Pearse p/b ( phospher bronze ) 600 lights on your FG730s. These made a noticible improvement on the tone of this guitar. I have a small but varied collection of guitars and the Yamaha is the one that gets taken along most of the time.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
Try the John Pearse p/b ( phospher bronze ) 600 lights on your FG730s. These made a noticible improvement on the tone of this guitar. I have a small but varied collection of guitars and the Yamaha is the one that gets taken along most of the time.
How do you think does the above string compare to D'Addario EJ16 or Martin 80/20?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion