The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Which guitar do you think is best suited for beginners like me?
Yamaha FG730S 30 58.82%
Seagull Entourage Rustic 7 13.73%
Yamaha FS720S 4 7.84%
Washburn WG16S 0 0%
Seagull S6 5 9.80%
Taylor Big Baby 2 3.92%
Cort Luce L450C NS 1 1.96%
Epiphone EJ200 1 1.96%
Lag Summer Series GLA200DCE 1 1.96%
Fender Kingman SCE 0 0%
Crafter D-6 0 0%
Aria AW75 0 0%
Vintage V1300 Series 0 0%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-03-2011, 05:19 PM

I just wanted to also reassure you that the Yamaha FG730S, FG720S, or FG700S are all great guitars. This series of guitars are what I recommned to beginers when asked. BTW, the S in the model number means it has a solid top (laminate back and sides). The top of a guitar is the soundboard (literraly) so it being solid can make a big improvement in tone over one that has a lamiate top.

I also like the Seagul S6 a lot, mostly because it has the wider nut (1 12/16 versus 1 11/16). Why, because 1 3/4 is the nut width on my Taylor as well.

If you want to save some money shop around for a used one. Typically a used guitar will sell for about 1/2-1/3 the new price depending on condition and age.

If you continue to play and decide you want something better, both of these is a great guitar to have around to take out with you (a "beater"). One you won't be so worried about getting damaged in some way.

Good Luck!

2005 Taylor 914CE
2003 Pavan TP-20
2004 Samick JZ4 Archtop
2005 Squire Fat Srat
2010 Laguna LD1 Little Brat
Old 10-03-2011, 06:54 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

You can't beat the Fg730s for 2x+ the money! The tuners hold forever, the tone is fantastic for strumming or picking. The weakest part is the factory strings! They are made to be on display and be played a lot. They are greasy and dead sounding. Put on your favorite set of strings and the guitar will sing even better!
IF you have large hands you may find the 1 11/16 difficult. But, for most it is very comfortable.
It is way beyond a beginners guitar. Don't let the price fool you. Many good, inexpensive guitars need a final set up to make the guitars really playable. The Yamahas set up is the best out of the box I have seen.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irondale View Post
The FG730S is a sweet guitar

I've bought and sold many guitars in the last 3 years, from Epiphones to Martins, and I have to say my FG730S is my favorite. Is it the best sounding guitar I've ever had? No, but it's the right sounding guitar. It's a dread, but at the same time, it's comfortable to play on the couch.
Hey thanks for this information. I thought so too, of course when I went to the guitar store there were lots of other guitars with better sounding, but comes with the price as well. hehe.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acmeseed View Post
I owned one of these for a couple of years, it was a great guitar for the price. I sold it to fund my new Taylor.

In my opinion this would make a great guitar for a beginner, but what's very important as it was said before, that it is setup properly by someone that knows how to do this. Mine had the action way too high and it made it tough to play, once this was corrected it was great.
Can you please explain what do you mean by setting up the guitar? And i've also heard this couple of times, "the action is too high or too low", what does that mean? And the last thing is when you say it was corrected, how and why did you do it? Thank you in advance...
Old 10-03-2011, 09:33 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.crabbe View Post
Your Brother is right. There are a lot of choices, but the Yamaha FG730S is a great guitar for the money. When I started (not too long ago) I decided that I liked the feel of a smaller guitar. So be sure and check out the FS720s if you can. The sound will be different so be prepared for that. Not as big or boomy. Wasper also made some great suggestions. Play as many as you can and find the one YOU like. You'll find it. Good luck and happy hunting. Also, Welcome to the forum. You're among friends.
Thanks, crabbe. I would try that FS720S the next time i go to the store, who knows maybe its going to be the right type for me. Not sure whether i've actually tried that guitar when i went to Yamaha store the other day, can't remember.

And thanks for the welcome greetings, much appreciated. I hope i can find a lot of information here.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeStuff View Post
As mentioned in an earlier post, try different sized guitars. OM's are much more comfortable to play. I didn't know about that when I started... Lots of other factors to consider other than what brand you get... Best of luck.
OM's? and what is that?
Old 10-03-2011, 09:35 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opa John View Post
Welcome to the forum, Einziger. By the way; don't worry about your English. You're doing fine. It's better than my Deutsch! That's for sure.

Play everything you can get your hands on in your price range. Some of them are going to "speak" louder to you than others.

Your brother, I'm sure, knows you better than any of us do, so I'm thinking his suggestion of getting a Yamaha FG730S is probably the best one you could get. You can't go wrong buying a Yamaha But, like I said, try everything before buying.
Hehe thanks, i just hope the communication will goes both ways. And yeah I will try different types of guitar to reassure myself of what i want.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake View Post
the yamaha fg730s is a very good beginner guitar as is the seagull s6. my slight preference is for the s6's tone, but both are good quality with good tone.
I saw a video on Youtube comparing these two guitars, its a direct comparison to compare the sound. I think both sounds great, and it makes me even more confused to choose between two, maybe if these guitars were the only choices, i'll go with the price and design to decide. So far i've not try Seagull S6, so I don't know the actual feel of this guitar.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revive View Post
Yamaha FG730S is an almost bullet-proof choice at this price range. But if you can spend a little more, in my opinion Yamaha LL6 is actually even better deal because you'll get a case and an overall better guitar.

As others have said, Seagull S6 is also a very good choice. Others to consider at this price range: Epiphone Masterbilt, Eastman, Blueridge.

If you're interested in Yamaha FG730S or LL6, I can give you a pretty good deal. Just contact me via email.
Hi, I don't think I can spend on LL6, its way above my budget, but I'm sure its a very good guitar. I will look into all those brands that you've mentioned as well. Well okay I will contact you, thanks.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einziger171 View Post
OM's? and what is that?
It's a different shape. The dreadnoughts are usually larger and have a deeper body. The OM's (Orchestra Models) are smaller and thinner. There are other shapes as well... The larger bodied guitars generally have more volume but to me, aren't that comfortable to play for long periods of time. The OM's (or other smaller bodies) are easier to pick up and play while your sitting on the couch etc. Like everyone says, try as many guitars as you can before you decide. That's part of the fun.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghale View Post
I've played the Yamaha a few time and thought it was nice but not really my sound. The ones I played were kind of jangly to my ears. But everytime im in a music store I am drawn to the Seagull Entourage Rustic. Evey one I've held had awesome playability (I guess that's a word) and I love the mellow sound. The neck feels awesome and the shorter scales made it a dream to play. I will have me one someday. But the Yamaha is a nicely built guitar as well. I would ask an employee to play a "bright" guitar and a "mellow guitar for you so you can get a sense of which sound you prefer. Good luck and HAVE FUN.
Hmmm, a "bright" and a "mellow" sound...I would need to get my ears accustomed to these sounds. hehe. I will try the Seagull Entourage Rustic if I find it. The price seems more or less the same with Yamaha FG730S, maybe this can be a good comparison. Thanks for the info,
Old 10-03-2011, 09:50 PM

I've only been playing (or, should I say-attempting to learn) guitar since January of this year. The problem with buying a guitar when you are first beginning is, you really don't have enough experience to know which guitar you'll be happy with. Take your time and hold a lot of guitars. Maybe learn a couple of simple chords so you can get an idea of how comfortable different sizes of guitars are and the difference in sound between them. I bought a dread and after awhile realized that I wasn't comfortable with a large guitar and also realize a bit wider neck with more space for my fingers was better for me as well. So, now that I knew what I really needed, I tried a bunch of guitars and ended up with a smaller size guitar with a 1.75 nut width. I'm much more comfortable playing now. I also like the sound of my guitar a bit better as well. Rather than making the same mistake and buying the wrong guitar to learn on, take the time to try out as many as you can in all price ranges and find out what you prefer, before you buy. There are also a lot of discussions in this forum about beginner guitars you might want to read.
Take your time so you end up with an instrument you really like and are comfortable with.
Larry
Oh yes. My dread was a Norman B18; a similar product to the Seagull only with a slimmer neck. My newer guitar is The Loar LO-16 and I'm very happy with it.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_harmonic View Post
I just wanted to also reassure you that the Yamaha FG730S, FG720S, or FG700S are all great guitars. This series of guitars are what I recommned to beginers when asked. BTW, the S in the model number means it has a solid top (laminate back and sides). The top of a guitar is the soundboard (literraly) so it being solid can make a big improvement in tone over one that has a lamiate top.

I also like the Seagul S6 a lot, mostly because it has the wider nut (1 12/16 versus 1 11/16). Why, because 1 3/4 is the nut width on my Taylor as well.

If you want to save some money shop around for a used one. Typically a used guitar will sell for about 1/2-1/3 the new price depending on condition and age.

If you continue to play and decide you want something better, both of these is a great guitar to have around to take out with you (a "beater"). One you won't be so worried about getting damaged in some way.

Good Luck!
I've also read and heard that a Solid Top, Back or Sides of a guitar has a uniqueness where the sound can 'evolve' over time. Is this true and how does it actually happens? Does this apply to the Yamaha FG730S as well?

I've tried looking for used or second hand guitar near where I live but up to this point I couldn't find anything.

Thanks for the delightful information, much appreciated.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Guitars View Post
You can't beat the Fg730s for 2x+ the money! The tuners hold forever, the tone is fantastic for strumming or picking. The weakest part is the factory strings! They are made to be on display and be played a lot. They are greasy and dead sounding. Put on your favorite set of strings and the guitar will sing even better!
IF you have large hands you may find the 1 11/16 difficult. But, for most it is very comfortable.
It is way beyond a beginners guitar. Don't let the price fool you. Many good, inexpensive guitars need a final set up to make the guitars really playable. The Yamahas set up is the best out of the box I have seen.
I have a small hand, and based on my experience of playing the guitar, my left hand got tired easily and need 1-2 minutes rest before playing it again. I think I need a small neck guitar, that's why I choose Yamaha FG730S, initially.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeStuff View Post
It's a different shape. The dreadnoughts are usually larger and have a deeper body. The OM's (Orchestra Models) are smaller and thinner. There are other shapes as well... The larger bodied guitars generally have more volume but to me, aren't that comfortable to play for long periods of time. The OM's (or other smaller bodies) are easier to pick up and play while your sitting on the couch etc. Like everyone says, try as many guitars as you can before you decide. That's part of the fun.
I see. Thanks for getting back to me. I will try different shapes to reassured myself.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion