The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Which guitar do you think is best suited for beginners like me?
Yamaha FG730S 30 58.82%
Seagull Entourage Rustic 7 13.73%
Yamaha FS720S 4 7.84%
Washburn WG16S 0 0%
Seagull S6 5 9.80%
Taylor Big Baby 2 3.92%
Cort Luce L450C NS 1 1.96%
Epiphone EJ200 1 1.96%
Lag Summer Series GLA200DCE 1 1.96%
Fender Kingman SCE 0 0%
Crafter D-6 0 0%
Aria AW75 0 0%
Vintage V1300 Series 0 0%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-03-2011, 10:19 AM

Default Yamaha FG730S and its competitors...

Hi everyone,

I am a beginner guitar player, looking for an acoustic guitar which will accustomed to my need. I have been playing guitar since probably 10 years ago, but never dedicated myself to learn fully (for example, taking guitar lessons) or spending a considerable amount of time practicing it. Hence, i am still in a beginner stage in terms of guitar playing. I do know my simple chords, but still having a rough time remembering some more complicated ones. It just happens to me that lately I've been thinking of playing guitar again to fill up my spare times in studying and working. Hence, the idea of looking for an acoustic guitar.

I've been told by my brother, who is a musician slash accountant that Yamaha FG730S would fit my requirements. Thus, I was looking for informations on the internet regarding this and I did found myself fond of this type of guitar. In fact, I have gone to Yamaha store and tried some of their guitars to assured myself. Problem is, I've been getting mixed informations about the type of acoustic guitar that i should get. After a few days of looking for answers, i am getting even more confused about the possibility of another brand, such as Cort, Takamine, Seagull, etc.

I would like to ask you guys for recommendation, which guitar should i pick to fit my needs. I trust that you all know the price range of the Yamaha FG730S, so I would consider another brand that the price is more or less close to it. Pardon my English, it is not my first language.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Einziger171; 10-03-2011 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Title editing.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einziger171 View Post
I would like to ask you guys for recommendation, which guitar should i pick to fit my needs.
Thank you in advance.
Einziger171,
Welcome to the forum! I think you have come to the right place for advice. You are asking for reccomendations for a guitar that will fit your needs but you haven't really explained what your needs are. What kind of music do you play or will you be playing? And, what other "needs" are you trying to satisfy with an acoustic guitar?
Old 10-03-2011, 10:36 AM

You will be hard pressed to find a better guitar for the money.
The Yamaha FG730S is a quality guitar for the money.
What ever you do get though, have it set up for your playing style.

Last edited by L20A; 10-03-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:53 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by williejohnson View Post
Einziger171,
Welcome to the forum! I think you have come to the right place for advice. You are asking for reccomendations for a guitar that will fit your needs but you haven't really explained what your needs are. What kind of music do you play or will you be playing? And, what other "needs" are you trying to satisfy with an acoustic guitar?
Hi, Williwjohnson, first of all thanks for replying..

Well, as i've said before, being a beginner myself i think i don't really quite define what my playing style is. I certainly cannot describe to you how am i going to play my guitar nor how do i like to play it. But, as far as i'm concern and what i can say to you is that i listen to various type of music, i don't define myself as liking only certain type of genre. I listen to pop, rock, reggae, even heavy metal. I have my own preferences and i don't like people to judge me or other people of what kind of music they should listen to. Therefore, i think i would prefer myself to learn various ways of playing the guitar as well, a hybrid maybe (i don't know if this is a right term)?

To better explain my needs, i forgot to say that i like to sing as well, and so far i feel better when i can play along with guitar at the same time. Thus, i want to be able to explore various musics that i like, sing and play it at the same time. Therefore, in order to be able to do that i think i need to be able at least accustomed to guitar playing and learn my way through it...

I hope this answer your question.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
You will be hard pressed to find a better guitar for the money.
The Yamaha FG730S is a guality guitar for the money.
What ever you do get though, have it set up for your playing style.
Yes, that's why i am confused of deciding which guitar i should pick...

so far i haven't decided my playing style, as i've explained above.

Thanks for replying.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:57 AM

Hi Einziger171,

The Yamaha FG-730S is a well built and very nice sounding guitar. You cant go wrong with that one if it is what you are looking for.

Some other suggestions...

Seagull Entourage Rustic : Very well made guitar. This guitar should be on everyone's short list if they are looking in this price range. The Entourage Rustic has a Solid Cedar top. The Cedar will sound a bit different then a Spruce top (like the Yamaha). So, I would try one, see if the tone is more pleasing to you.

The Yamaha FG-730S and the Seagull Entourage Rustic are both Dreadnaught sized guitars. If you are looking for something a bit different in size, then I would recommend these two.

Yamaha FS-720S : The FS-720S is another great Solid Spruce-topped guitar for the money, but it is in a "Folk" size. The smaller size may appeal to you. Not as much bling as the FG-730, but a nice guitar all the same.

Washburn WG16S: The Washburn WG16S is another Cedar topped guitar. The Grand Auditorium size is almost the size of a Dreadnaught, but it has a thinner waist. For me, I find this size much more comfortable. Has all the bling the FG-730S has (and then some, lol). I have the electric/acoustic version of this guitar (with cutaway) and I like it much better then my FG-730S, if I'm being honest (I like the size better, and I found I like the sound of Cedar better as well).

There are many more out there as well, and I'm sure more people will chime in with some suggestions. I think the FG-730S was hard to beat not to long ago.. but other companies stepped up their game and there are quite a few nice guitars to be had in that price range these days.

Good Luck!

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 10-03-2011, 12:05 PM

Wow Thank you so much for the suggestion, Wasper. I would definitely check all those brands that you've mentioned, hopefully i can find those guitars here so i could compare the sound and the quality. But being a beginner like me i don't think i can correctly decide on that. hehe. Nonetheless, thank you very much. really appreciate it.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:06 PM

The FG730S is a sweet guitar

I've bought and sold many guitars in the last 3 years, from Epiphones to Martins, and I have to say my FG730S is my favorite. Is it the best sounding guitar I've ever had? No, but it's the right sounding guitar. It's a dread, but at the same time, it's comfortable to play on the couch.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:18 PM

I owned one of these for a couple of years, it was a great guitar for the price. I sold it to fund my new Taylor.

In my opinion this would make a great guitar for a beginner, but what's very important as it was said before, that it is setup properly by someone that knows how to do this. Mine had the action way too high and it made it tough to play, once this was corrected it was great.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:21 PM

Your Brother is right. There are a lot of choices, but the Yamaha FG730S is a great guitar for the money. When I started (not too long ago) I decided that I liked the feel of a smaller guitar. So be sure and check out the FS720s if you can. The sound will be different so be prepared for that. Not as big or boomy. Wasper also made some great suggestions. Play as many as you can and find the one YOU like. You'll find it. Good luck and happy hunting. Also, Welcome to the forum. You're among friends.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:26 PM

As mentioned in an earlier post, try different sized guitars. OM's are much more comfortable to play. I didn't know about that when I started... Lots of other factors to consider other than what brand you get... Best of luck.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:54 PM

Welcome to the forum, Einziger. By the way; don't worry about your English. You're doing fine. It's better than my Deutsch! That's for sure.

Play everything you can get your hands on in your price range. Some of them are going to "speak" louder to you than others.

Your brother, I'm sure, knows you better than any of us do, so I'm thinking his suggestion of getting a Yamaha FG730S is probably the best one you could get. You can't go wrong buying a Yamaha But, like I said, try everything before buying.

Last edited by Opa John; 10-03-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

the yamaha fg730s is a very good beginner guitar as is the seagull s6. my slight preference is for the s6's tone, but both are good quality with good tone.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:39 PM

Yamaha FG730S is an almost bullet-proof choice at this price range. But if you can spend a little more, in my opinion Yamaha LL6 is actually even better deal because you'll get a case and an overall better guitar.

As others have said, Seagull S6 is also a very good choice. Others to consider at this price range: Epiphone Masterbilt, Eastman, Blueridge.

If you're interested in Yamaha FG730S or LL6, I can give you a pretty good deal. Just contact me via email.

Taylor GS Mini mahogany/sapele with LR Baggs M80
Voyage Air VAOM-06 sitka/sapele with LR Baggs Anthem
Yamaha Guitalele black
Taylor T3/B honey burst
Fender American Stratocaster tobacco burst
G&L Fullerton Deluxe Legacy blonde

Gone but not forgotten..... ReviveMusicStore.com
Old 10-03-2011, 04:59 PM

I've played the Yamaha a few time and thought it was nice but not really my sound. The ones I played were kind of jangly to my ears. But everytime im in a music store I am drawn to the Seagull Entourage Rustic. Evey one I've held had awesome playability (I guess that's a word) and I love the mellow sound. The neck feels awesome and the shorter scales made it a dream to play. I will have me one someday. But the Yamaha is a nicely built guitar as well. I would ask an employee to play a "bright" guitar and a "mellow guitar for you so you can get a sense of which sound you prefer. Good luck and HAVE FUN.

Guild F-130NAT
Alvarez RD-8

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion