The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-29-2015, 09:11 PM

Default Guitar Theory

Can anyone recommend some good guitar theory books?? I want to learn such things as the notes on the fretboard, why a G chord for example is called a G chord. Also pentatonic, major, and other scales and why they are called that certain scale...doesn't have to be one book, can be multiple books...thanks
Old 12-29-2015, 10:17 PM

One of my favourites is The Guitar Handbook by Ralph Denyer. It covers theory in a very non-technical way.

There are also sections on guitar heroes and innovators, guitar history, sound reinforcement, recording, maintenance, etc.

I've owned two separate editions, read every word and used much of the information contained within. The latest edition is from 1992, so some of the tech info is a little dated - but interesting nonetheless. I can't recommend it strongly enough.

Mike
Old 12-30-2015, 03:49 AM
Charter Member

The best there is the Skeptical Guitarist, by Bruce Emery. this is the best there is, IMO, and provides a wealth of reading and study and it is all about guitar theory, non technical and fun to read and study. It is GREAT! Google him or I think Elderly has it as well. I promise you, won't be disappointed.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:49 AM

This is the best theory-for-guitarists book I know:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/063406651X/

Otherwise, "music theory" applies to all instruments, and - once you can read music (and know where to find notes on the guitar) - there are many other great theory books around, as well as a few excellent websites, such as:
http://www.musictheory.net/
Old 12-30-2015, 06:22 AM
Charter Member

Another resource you may want to check out is the Music Theory Made Simple series over at The Gear Page.

D
Old 12-30-2015, 08:13 AM

I generally grab a book, skim it, glean a little and then move on.

These two have been helpful:

Fretboard Logic I & II:
Teaches all scales/modes in all positions
All 7 diatonic modes, and also the harmonic and melodic minors.
Pentatonic (major and minor)
Blues scale
Chord formation

It is a dry book... and doesn't teach you how to make music, but it is an invaluable reference if you need to learn some patterns and shapes to begin improvising and understanding "guitar" theory. Everything is in one place. I recommend it highly because it is cheap and very thorough. However, don't expect it to be fun. Use it in conjunction with other methods. It does not include music theory - but that can be picked up anywhere online really.

Fretboard Roadmaps:
This provides a mix of music/theory/guitar patterns. It is rather light as a reference book, but maybe easier to get into because it included musical ideas. I personally skipped through the musical and just gleaned the theory parts out. I wouldn't really recommend this unless you are more at a beginner level.

Last edited by Pualee; 12-30-2015 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:51 PM

in response to the OP
By the text of your question I would suggest to start with a basic beginning book so you can understand what you are doing.
Music theory is very analytical, one step leads to the next. If you skip a few steps you will more than likely stumble along the rest of the journey.
Pick up a Hal Lenard beginning guitar book or something similar. Once you have a grasp of notation, basic chords, time signature and keys then move on to the next step so that you have a grasp of what you are reading. It will save you a lot of (theoretical grief)
Old 01-15-2016, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arktrav View Post
The best there is the Skeptical Guitarist, by Bruce Emery. this is the best there is, IMO, and provides a wealth of reading and study and it is all about guitar theory, non technical and fun to read and study. It is GREAT! Google him or I think Elderly has it as well. I promise you, won't be disappointed.
I've recommended this series so many times people probably think I'm paid to! Totally agree, I have learned so much from these books.

2015 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
early 80's Ovation Ultra 1517
2011 Seagull Entourage Rustic
2011 Taylor Limited NS214ce
2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa e
2018 Loar LH 301t
1998 Breedlove Fall Limited # 10 of 20 Redwood/Walnut
Old 01-15-2016, 08:05 AM

Default Purchased this book

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
This is the best theory-for-guitarists book I know:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/063406651X/
Bought this book.

Somehow it clicked.

Have been doing all the exercises thus far.

Not that far along, but already learning all the notes on the fretboard and musical staff.

Just learning the fretboard was worth the price of admission to me. Sounds dense, I realize, but with all the talk about how unlike the piano, on guitar notes are duplicated often across the strings, -- now I got the idea that each string from frets 1-12 is just divided into the notes of the chromatic scale. The notes appear only once. So you can take a minute each time you pick up the guitar and find all the A notes, - one on each string! - next day, B and so on.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:48 AM

I'm going to go with the idea that you might do well to get at least one book about theory that is not specific to guitar. The Dummies/Idiots line of books are good for getting started.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughingboy68 View Post
One of my favourites is The Guitar Handbook by Ralph Denyer. It covers theory in a very non-technical way.

+1

The music section was written by the late, great Isaac Guillory.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustic_Stevo View Post
+1

The music section was written by the late, great Isaac Guillory.
+3

This is the only guitar hand book I have read cover to cover. I got a used one shipped for around $10.

http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Handboo...s=ralph+denyer
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 01-16-2016, 07:27 AM

Here's a clip of Isaac Guillory doing a quick workshop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ0HL2-1maQ
Old 01-17-2016, 04:13 PM

I would investigate intervals rather than actual note names. Not that note names are bad, and tbh, I still need to better learn all the note names on the neck. But once you understand intervals then it doesn't really matter what the notes are, so long as you know your starting position.

So instead of memorising, for example, that the C major chord is made up of the notes C, E, and G, and then memorizing every other key, all I need to know is that a major chord is always made up of the root note, the 3rd interval, and the fifth interval. If you you know your major scale then this is easy. The 3rd note of the major scale is the 3rd interval, in this case E, and the fifth note is the fifth interval, in this case G.

That's just scratching the surface, but once you understand it you can throw away your chord book because you'll be able to figure out chords. E.g. A C7, also known as a dominant 7th, is C chord with a flattened 7th. The 7th note of the C major scale is B, so if I flatten this, I'm left with a Bb. So a C7 contains a Bb (I can then figure out the fingering myself depending on what voicing I wish to use).

Again, I'm just trying to give examples of how knowing your intervals makes theory a whole lot easier.

Last edited by s0cks; 01-17-2016 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:36 PM

Not a book and I'm not a guitar player yet... just starting at 46... but I played clarinet in school years ago, and never really understood any of the minimal theory I memorized by rote...and have long since forgotten...

But I found the videos on utube by steve stine (guitar zoom) very helpful at making it all make sense. And explaining the basics... I've only watched the first couple but I was really impressed. And I have a better understanding now than I ever did.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write