The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-11-2017, 11:02 AM

My advice, beveled picks are quieter, you'll be amazed how much more control you have, and, hold the pick so that very little of the pick is exposed, it gives you more control, prevents the slapping noise from thinner picks. And of course, experience. However, picks vary greatly in their sound, experiment to find the one you like best. Ultex are a start, Wegen bluegrass (beveled) and Charmed Life and Red Bear toirtoise are very quiet.

I play with experienced player who uses gorilla snot:

http://www.gorillasnotusa.com/pick-h...-gorilla-snot/

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfreggie View Post
I like Cotten's suggestion, and to add to it, I use a different brand pick (Charmed Life) but buy the sticky pads from Guitar Moose and put them on the pick. Works great.
I think the Charmed Life picks are a great product but when I asked if they had one that that gripped, I was told no. I don't know why I didn't think of your suggestion or the one I posted from YouTube. I guess that's why I am a member here. You guys have some great suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Sf

Relax your wrist, lighten your grip, shorten the stroke and move the stroke path up more over the center of the soundhole.

Also, if you rotate the pick so you are strumming off one of the rounded corners rather than the sharp tip, and put a speed bevel on it it may help too.
I can't lighten my grip or the pick will slip out of my sweaty hands and I do move up to the top of the sound hole. I like your point on the speed bevel and will give that a try. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianmay View Post
Damp the strings with the heel of your picking hand.

It can also result in a great rhythm too.
That will be a learning process but another good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyguy View Post
My advice, beveled picks are quieter, you'll be amazed how much more control you have, and, hold the pick so that very little of the pick is exposed, it gives you more control, prevents the slapping noise from thinner picks. And of course, experience. However, picks vary greatly in their sound, experiment to find the one you like best. Ultex are a start, Wegen bluegrass (beveled) and Charmed Life and Red Bear toirtoise are very quiet.

I play with experienced player who uses gorilla snot:

http://www.gorillasnotusa.com/pick-h...-gorilla-snot/
Good point on the bevelled picks.

Won't the gorilla's be upset?

Thanks for the good advice.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:45 AM

I just tried a nylon pick and it seems to be a good balance between even tone (not bright like a lot of others), not very loud (my guitar, an AJ, is already loud enough so I don't need a loud pick), and doesn't have a lot of pick noise.

You might be interested in this web site:
http://hubguitar.com/articles/comple...must-try-picks

Larry
Old 02-12-2018, 11:00 AM

You should be able to play as quietly as you want with any pick.
It's all in the stroke and power that you deliver.

Work on technique then think about pick choice.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Changing picks isn’t the proper answer. To lighten your attack, relax your arm from your shoulder down into your hand. Most likely your death grip on your pick is translating into a more rigid attack. Lighten up.
Good advice. In fact great advice. Relax your wrist as well and learn to strum with brush strokes.
You can strum lightly no matter what pick you use. It's 90% technique, same as darn near anything on guitar.
I taught my grandson how to achieve light strumming technique in one lesson.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-12-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
I use a small Davo Grip pick as I have sweaty hands and need something that won't slip. It is fairly hard. If I go to something softer, will that help a lot or is it more my technique?
Lots of great advice given... I will just add that if after experimenting with picks and adjusting technique still doesn't leave you happy, it may be time to consider a different guitar. They don't all respond the same and you'll likely find one that can handle your technique and deliver what you want.

For some adding a new guitar to the collection will make more sense than trying to adjust habits that have been long set.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 02-12-2018, 11:44 AM

Ive been working to 'control my strumming tone envelope' as well. Moving from electric guitar to acoustic guitar definately changes technique requirememts.

I am going for a darkish, deadened (eg. not open ringing) but not quite muted rhythm guitar sound to lay underneath the vocals. The clangy style of sustaining strumming just doesnt work for me.

I used to watch videos with old country singers rigidly chording while they sang and wondered why they would approach thier strum technique as they do. Now I get it. They are working very diligently to control the attack of the pick on the strings in order to keep the sustaining resonance from being unwieldy in the mix.

Probably the best lesson in strumming came from trying to learn a few jazz tunes on an archtop. There is a lot of technique to get that tone right.

The expression the jazzers use is "coaxing the silk out". Great words to have in mind so you know it when you get it.

Last edited by Tommy_G; 02-12-2018 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:50 AM

Strumming more softly is about technique. And using a lighter touch can be helpful in a number of ways. Picks? The discussion can be endless. But for the sake of narrowing the discussion I'll limit it to my experience with 3 picks: Tortex .60. Tortex .73. Ultex 1.0...

I love the feel and flexibility of the Tortex .60 for strumming. It provides a lighter feel because it flexes more and I really like the sound. But when I have to pick, for accuracy I go to the Tortex .73... but I do a speed bevel on it so it has stiffness, but that little extra "ping" that a lighter pick does. I do a speed bevel on the Ultex 1.0 as well. I use that because the sound is a little different and I seem to have a bit more speed with that material. When I want a lot of jangle I'll go to a Fender or Dunlop thin pick.

I've found that like everything else, you've got to be prepared to do some testing to see what works. Good luck.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 02-12-2018, 12:42 PM

A suggestion for a great practice song is Neil Young's Harvest Moon.
Very light strumming pattern...

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-12-2018, 01:02 PM

Remove strings?
Old 02-12-2018, 04:08 PM

I just adjust the pick attack angle and loosen my wrist a little. works perfectly.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion