The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-26-2024, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickLikeTrimble View Post
Was wondering for those that have used the QSC CP8, is a single speaker loud enough for a solo acoustic act that plays small bars and patios?
Hi KLT…
If you pole mount it and get it up in the air, probably fine for small to medium situations.

I love the 8" QSC, as a solo guitar system. If you are going to add bass or keys you need to consider that they have to bring a decent amp, or move up to the 12" models (which are amazingly flexible and much louder with great fidelity).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-26-2024, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Smile CP8s…

I have two CP8s on small sticks which get them up to about head height

They work just fine for me and Saturday I had invited acoustic jammers at my gig. About 50 folks in two adjacent rooms.

Three different guitar duos played.

Sounded real good out in front, and off to the side room too. Never turned the board up past 7 even when the room got fairly loud. I always turn the CP8s all the way up and adjust volume with the mixer.

I do love that they weigh only 22? Pounds each!!!

No one playing bass but my feet on a hardwood floor over a sub basement…

In a rectangular room I bet one in a corner would do the job for a solo acoustic act.

I say try it and see…

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

Last edited by Guitars44me; 02-26-2024 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-26-2024, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
Are some also missing the OPs phrase "solo acoustic act"? If all you have is acoustic guitar and vocals, you don't need a sub, or even a 12-15" speaker. The CP8 specs go down to 56Hz; the low E on a guitar is 82Hz. I have a CP8 that I've used for small solo gigs, and I agree with jonfields who has practical real-world experience: a CP8 will be fine for "small bars and patios".

And if it doesn't suit you, or you move to bigger locations, add a second one, or get a bigger speaker and use the CP8 as a monitor (which I do for bigger venues, along with two K10.2s).
My comments probably got derailed about by what others were saying. Personally though, a CP8 still wouldn’t sound full enough for me for a solo acoustic setup. Volume wise it would be fine but it’s not going to provide a solid low end. Again, I think it’s up to the OP to try. It’s so subjective as some will love the CP8 and others will find it limiting.

On a side note, the K10 for me was an odd speaker for QSC. I own one but find it’s harsher sounding than their other offerings. Not really sure why.
Old 02-26-2024, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
Are some also missing the OPs phrase "solo acoustic act"? If all you have is acoustic guitar and vocals, you don't need a sub, or even a 12-15" speaker. The CP8 specs go down to 56Hz; the low E on a guitar is 82Hz. I have a CP8 that I've used for small solo gigs, and I agree with jonfields who has practical real-world experience: a CP8 will be fine for "small bars and patios".

And if it doesn't suit you, or you move to bigger locations, add a second one, or get a bigger speaker and use the CP8 as a monitor (which I do for bigger venues, along with two K10.2s).
Agree on both counts! One's use determines what one needs. Vox and guit sound excellent through a good 8 or 10 like the CP or the DXR10s that I also use. And the best thing about using any good-quality speaker is you can always scale up for when you need a bigger PA for a larger venue, or a full band that is going through the system.

Edward

Last edited by edward993; 02-26-2024 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-26-2024, 05:16 PM

My experience with owning and gigging with a cp8 is yes its perfectly capable volume wise for a typical solo gig in a loud bar/restruant. Ive played bass through mine and it does not sound thin in any way with an acoustic. I also have some k8.2's and its pattern is a little wider at 105 degrees which makes it perfect to cover a small room as a single main. You may have to crank a single cp8 more to cover the room which could make it too loud for people in the front row so 2 cp8s would be better.
Old 02-27-2024, 08:42 PM

In a home setting/large living room/high ceiling CP8 will max out at 110dB before clip light at 4 meters. K8.2 has audible fan/CP8 no fan.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification