The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-25-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Martin View Post
...It would be fun if it was an early prototype. I may check the neck number next time I change the strings. Pot numbers seem to be less reliable, as large numbers may have been bought at one once and then gradually used over time...
Precisely my point - if the neck date is mid/late-'63 and the pots predate that, you've got a Holy Grail guitar on your hands...
Old 01-31-2017, 10:08 AM

Smile

Ok then:

The neck code seems to say Mustang, December 1964, neck size A.
The potentiometer code is 1964.

So it's a pre-CBS, which is nice. Perhaps not a Holy Grail, but at least a favourite mug.
It still works after reassembly, which is a plus.

Thanks for the interest.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Martin View Post
...The neck code seems to say Mustang, December 1964, neck size A...Perhaps not a Holy Grail, but at least a favourite mug...
Still a bit of a rarity FYI; virtually all of the instruments you're likely to find from that period have the 1-5/8" "B" neck that most players associate with "early-60's Fender," with an occasional "C" thrown in (the only one I ever played myself - many years ago - was 1-11/16" IIRC, and felt very much like what they now call their "modern C" shape). The "A" (nominally 1-1/2" like the J-Bass, reportedly closer to 1-9/16" in practice - very much like their Gibson competitors) and "D" (a P-Bass style 1-3/4"; heard of - but never personally seen - examples as wide as 1-7/8") are the rarest of the lot - I've been in this game for 55 years, seen exactly one "A" neck (a candy-apple red, transition-logo Strat with matching headstock - same time period as yours, interestingly enough) and no "D" necks in all that time - so you might still be on to something here...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars