The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-26-2018, 09:18 PM

Default Solo Guitar Music

recorded this evening

Old 02-26-2018, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

Whoa!

That is some wonderful playing, Jane
Old 02-26-2018, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Whoa!

That is some wonderful playing, Jane
thanks very much bob!

a lot of the impetus for this video was to post on the Delcamp classical guitar forum...in their 'classical guitar recording' sub-forum...many strictly-classical guitarists are kinda behind the curve when it come to home recording & gear thereof...lots of baffled discussions about software, interfaces, garage band, pro tools, smart phones etc...most of which seem needlessly convoluted for something as basic as recording an acoustic guitar...so here's the full-details text from my Delcamp post:

This video shows the home recording gear I've used for several years and how the results sound. I'm of the 'less is more' and 'keep it simple' mindset. I dont own a smartphone and don't like recording via computers & software. The video shows the 3 items used to make the recording (minus Sony headphones used to ascertain mic placement or for private listening.)

Recorder: Tascam DP-008EX. An 8-channel digital multitrack recorder. About $125 (the AC adapter is extra, but it can also run on AA batteries). Compact: 8.5" x 4.75" x 1."" Loaded with features and easy to use. Two integral omnidirectional condenser microphones, Assignable inputs, EQ, 6 types of (user-editable) reverb, editable compression, limiting & de-esser etc, phantom power, USB, mastering programs, all kind of editing features.

I'd recorded nylon-string guitars on this using a wide variety of mic's and wasn't satisfied. THEN I tried recording guitar in mono, using one of the integral omni mics--voila! I was tickled--there was a sound which satisfied my ears. For solo guitar I use little or no EQ and usually use some reverb for 'ambience'.

Mixed-down and then mastered in stereo. The mastering program offers 'auto' or 'manual (editable) settings. 'Auto Mastering' works good for solo guitar. In 'Auto Mastering' there are three choices: 1. No effect. 2. Natural Sound 3. Maximum Sound. I use the 'Natural Sound' setting for solo guitar.

Guitar: a 1962 Levin made in Sweden, branded 'Goya G-10'. Spruce over birch. 630 mm scale. This guitar is normally brighter than it sounds here, but the strings have been on it for about 1.5 years! (red treble LaBella's) I kinda like the resultant way-mellow tone anyhow.

Monitor Speaker. I'd used a variety of speakers for mixing/monitoring with mixed results. I had two small bluetooth speakers which worked well but after awhile their integral rehargeable batteries failed to charge. The speaker shown here sounds better than they did, and uses AAA batteries. Best of all, it's sold at the 'Five Below' stores, so it only costs $5!! It's called the 'Retro Speaker'--presumably due to the fake wood-grain look of the plastic front! I'm gonna get 2 more and put them aside should this one die. The specs claim 20-20,000 frequency response and (oddly for something so inexpensive) I kinda believe it. It also seems to have a very flat response. MP3 and CD players also sound very good through it.

Note: Though I love classical guitar (it's what I mostly listen to) I can't play it. My reading skills are poor and I play left-handed on righty-strung guitars. I mostly use a flat-pick, using the 'crosspicking' technique. Nonetheless, my intent when playing solo guitar is 'formal', seeking to create small compositions (or improvisations) which are musically interesting.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:29 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for sharing. You might want to share your ideas on the Record part of the forum as well as read what other people are doing with recording.
Nylon string guitars record decently in mono with one mike, steel string guitars less so.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-26-2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Thanks for sharing. You might want to share your ideas on the Record part of the forum as well as read what other people are doing with recording.
Nylon string guitars record decently in mono with one mike, steel string guitars less so.
thanks rick, that's a good idea.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell