The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-14-2016, 02:13 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by baimo View Post
No they just put a hole in the bottom like Martin and most other brands. The peg is in the guitar case's compartment. I do not understand why. Once the hole is drilled they might as well twist the peg into it. As someone previously mentioned, why put a hole in the beautiful woood if you have no intent on using it.
To avoid possible damage during shipping. If dropped with the bottom of the guitar taking impact, even in a case and boxed, an intsalled end pin could cause a lot of damage that wouldn't occur with the end pin safely in the case compartment.
Old 11-14-2016, 02:43 PM
Guest4562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norml View Post
To avoid possible damage during shipping. If dropped with the bottom of the guitar taking impact, even in a case and boxed, an intsalled end pin could cause a lot of damage that wouldn't occur with the end pin safely in the case compartment.
Interesting. Seems to point to a design flaw of the case, which should allow for this pin not to be impacted in such an incident, which can happen even after the customer takes delivery and puts the instrument into service. Why is it assumed that this type of damage could only occur during the initial shipping?
Old 11-14-2016, 03:00 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Mac View Post
Interesting. Seems to point to a design flaw of the case, which should allow for this pin not to be impacted in such an incident, which can happen even after the customer takes delivery and puts the instrument into service. Why is it assumed that this type of damage could only occur during the initial shipping?
I think most good cases have a cutout in the padding so the actual body of the instrument would make contact with the padding in the case rather than the end pin.

You are correct that it doesn't only occur during shipping but once the owner takes possession, this kind of damage is no longer the problem of the dealer or manufacturer. Some drivers for shipping companies are less than careful when handling packages.
Old 11-14-2016, 03:33 PM

Pre-drilled on the bottom to accommodate an output jack/ pickup system eg. LR Baggs Element and tons others, if the owner wishes to do so. Hole is centered correctly at the factory. LOTS of (beautiful) wood and bracing to drill through if that hole wasn't there. Now imagine it was Cocobolo or Brazilian rosewood you'd have to drill thru. One slip of the bit or the hole gets drill crooked, or DIY'er doesn't read the installation instructions and uses a drill bit that's way to big, or doesn't know the difference between a cincrete bit and a wood bit...disastrous results. There must be tons of horror stories out there concerning the ruin of many a beautiful guitar. Stupidity is not covered under warranty btw.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2016, 04:08 PM

No pins for me. I don't like drilling the heal of the neck.
Old 11-15-2016, 04:58 AM
Charter Member

I've always put strap buttons on my guitars. But not the last guitar I bought. I got me a strap button. I cut the screw. I always shorten the screw as those long screws seemed like over kill. But I couldn't bring myself to drilling into it. It was made to perfect for me for me to harm it. I did get a good price on a old (NOS) thin guitar strap from the 50s. Way cool!

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 11-15-2016, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsch4me View Post
Pre-drilled on the bottom to accommodate an output jack/ pickup system eg. LR Baggs Element and tons others, if the owner wishes to do so. Hole is centered correctly at the factory. LOTS of (beautiful) wood and bracing to drill through if that hole wasn't there. Now imagine it was Cocobolo or Brazilian rosewood you'd have to drill thru. One slip of the bit or the hole gets drill crooked, or DIY'er doesn't read the installation instructions and uses a drill bit that's way to big, or doesn't know the difference between a cincrete bit and a wood bit...disastrous results. There must be tons of horror stories out there concerning the ruin of many a beautiful guitar. Stupidity is not covered under warranty btw.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
This doesn't quite work because the hole is not big enough for an endpin jack. In fact, one could argue it would be easier to just drill a hole in the guitar rather than enlarging the one that's there. As I understand it, the endpins are left out of the hole tp avoid possible damage from the guitar being set on the endpin and slipping or getting banged. On the other hand, I watched a Guitar Center employee put the endpin into a new Martin CEO7 and bang it repeatedly on the floor to seat it firmly. Guitar seemed to survive OK.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:43 AM

Wink

I used to strap my guitars, at the headstock, in order to take pressure off my fretting hand. Over the years, I learned to tilt the neck more upwards, so switched to the heel strap pin, at #5. It works, for me...and, no, there is no distortion of the neck, brought on by headstock straps...

What I wish the manufacturers would spend a bit of R&D on, is the bottom button...why does it have to be so difficult to attach a strap to this area, and have it stay on, without either unscrewing the button, over time, or having the strap come off, at the worst possible moment? It seems there's a whole cottage industry, committed to locking straps and such. Why don't the makers either design a button that works for most straps, or combine the button with a special strap? It should not be that difficult, as compared to, say, designing a guitar, right?

Ok, that's my rant...
Taylor 150E
Taylor Limited Edition 326ce 8-string baritone
Various other instruments
Old 11-15-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepoet View Post
I used to strap my guitars, at the headstock, in order to take pressure off my fretting hand. Over the years, I learned to tilt the neck more upwards, so switched to the heel strap pin, at #5. It works, for me...and, no, there is no distortion of the neck, brought on by headstock straps...

What I wish the manufacturers would spend a bit of R&D on, is the bottom button...why does it have to be so difficult to attach a strap to this area...
I leave the bottom pin off and place my Dunlop button just forward(towards the top) of the original existing pin hole. I can use the same strap(s) for all my guitars, and the next owner can fill the small screw hole easily or continue using it, whichever they like.

rct
Old 11-15-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon Soul View Post

Cause strap button placement preferences are subjective.
FINALLY, the strap button setup that I've always wanted!
Old 11-15-2016, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norml View Post
Thanks for the response. I have heard this before. I am unsure of how many guitars are actually damaged because of the pin. I have guitar cases with a little cutout in the padding for the pin.

I still would prefer no hole at all unless ordered that WAY. Could you imagine someone standing up playing a froggy bottom model "L" parlor with a strap. I can't but different strokes
Old 03-15-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknblues View Post
Many don't, my Froggy came with just a hole drilled in the bottom.
Interesting...do all Froggy guitars have this? Reason I ask is that I may be buying one in the near future and am concerned about being able to play it with a strap.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:06 AM

When I picked up my D-18 it only had the end pin. Salesman said "You want us to put a strap pin on it?" I said yes. It took almost a full 3 minutes but was well worth the wait and I didn't have to come back later after I got home a realized it didn't have one.
Dirty 30's Parlor 7 series
2007 Redline Rambler Square Neck Resonator

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB1...K6oxpANeRr1_oQ
Old 03-15-2018, 11:58 AM

If you are building 500,000 guitars and those strap buttons cost you $0.05 each, you save $25,000.00 plus a little more for the installation costs which might be another $0.05 or $0.10. A few cents saved here and there can save a large manufacturer millions of dollars. I doubt they would tell us that, though.

BTW, I used to work for a large manufacturer and they look for these little cost saving measures all the time.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiousDevil View Post
Why do so many guitars ship with only an end pin? What am I going to do with that? Attach the strap to the headstock? Screw that, it distorts the neck, and on slot heads it isn't even an option due to the lack of clearance under the strings. What is the reasoning behind this?
I'm with you on the headstock thing but I don't worry about the why of it all, I just put the strap button where I want it, which in my case is the treble side of the heel pretty much where Taylor puts them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion