The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-14-2018, 12:11 PM

Default Larrivée LV-03

Some pictures of my purchase to start first .

https://i.imgur.com/8w71NyT.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ThEh6wv.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/3KxKJOc.jpg

I was in the market for an acoustic guitar; dabbling in between all different kinds of brands, makes and models from RainSong, Halcyon, BreedLove, Taylor, Martin, etc. I ended up settling on this particular guitar.

The reason why I chose this guitar first is how it felt. I think it 100% has to do with how the cutout doesn't come right up to the neck like on most other cutouts. It's insanely comfortable to use and just allowed me to play without feeling cramped.

The tone & sound reminded me of listening to something in the past. Has an innate nostalgic sounding quality to it. Playing a harmonic on the bass strings and letting it right out while playing on the other strings just felt and sounded so right. I feel like that's the sweet spot for this guitar. Alternative tunings sounded equally great.

All in all, very happy with the purchase. It's not the shiniest or most ornate guitar, but it sounds amazing and feels amazing.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:20 PM

The reputation of Larrivees, and the L-03 specifically, is excellent. The one I played was amazing.

Enjoy!!!
Old 03-14-2018, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Nice guitars... congratulations! And welcome to the AGF.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Wish I still had my L03. Great guitar that can do anything.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:38 PM

Congratulations on the Larrivee. I love my (still new) OM-40.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:43 PM

I love the L-series. It grabbed me 38 years ago when I first played one. I now have 4 in the house.

I think Larrivee does the best cutaways in the industry.

I purchased an LV03 on Ebay for $695 shipped. I wanted a relatively inexpensive guitar for performing so I could leave my 40 year old cutaway home. It has exceeded my expectations and I even record with it.

BTW, every time I record with a Larrivee, it turns out fantastic.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 03-14-2018, 01:19 PM

Those are great guitars. I'm another Larrivée guitar owner; I own an Engelmann spruce and black walnut OM-03W and a Sitka spruce and Indian rosewood L-03R that a luthier friend of mine converted to an 8 string for me, with octave courses on the D and G strings.

The L body guitars are sort of the Swiss Army Officer's knife of the Larrivée product line: they can handle just about any style of music you care to throw at it. Most guitars seem to handle either fingerpicking or use of a flatpick, doing one better than the other. But the Larrivée L body guitars handle both just as well.

Anyway, congratulations. The guitar appears to be in excellent condition.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-14-2018, 03:15 PM

Very nice guitar. Enjoy!
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 03-14-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Those are great guitars. I'm another Larrivée guitar owner; I own an Engelmann spruce and black walnut OM-03W and a Sitka spruce and Indian rosewood L-03R that a luthier friend of mine converted to an 8 string for me, with octave courses on the D and G strings.

The L body guitars are sort of the Swiss Army Officer's knife of the Larrivée product line: they can handle just about any style of music you care to throw at it. Most guitars seem to handle either fingerpicking or use of a flatpick, doing one better than the other. But the Larrivée L body guitars handle both just as well.

Anyway, congratulations. The guitar appears to be in excellent condition.

Wade Hampton Miller
It's super versatile. Any recommendations on string setups?

I also agree with the cutout; I haven't found any other that feels nearly as comfortable.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:12 PM

Congrats, you're gonna have that guitar a long time I've got an L-10 that is a wonderful guitar. Larrivee makes very good guitars.
As far as strings, you might try the Martin Retros, they are very nice on Mahogany guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion