The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-05-2017, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Default D'Addario Nickel Bronze strings...

I obviously can't predict if you'll like them, but I've had these on three different small bodied (two "00" & one "0"), 12-fret, all-mahogany guitars, and they sounded incredible on every one. FWIW, I've tried them on a few other guitars too and they were just okay, but for whatever reason--at least to my ear--they really shine on small bodied all-hogs. Worth a shot if you're thinking of experimenting a little...

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 12-05-2017, 08:00 AM

They are my favorite strings at the moment - but I won't pay the $12 asking price for them. They are just not that much better than the std EJ16's that I'm willing to pay 2x the $$ for them.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
They are my favorite strings at the moment - but I won't pay the $12 asking price for them. They are just not that much better than the std EJ16's that I'm willing to pay 2x the $$ for them.
agree,on the other hand the Martin monel strings are quite reasonable in price
Old 12-05-2017, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
For me, I easily get twice the life out of them...probably closer to 3-4X the life, so not any more expensive in the long run; in fact, maybe cheaper.

Martin 000-28EC

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 12-05-2017, 08:48 AM

I have them on my Collings D2HT at the moment and is my first time with it. So far i like it and it is lasting longer than the EJ16s.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drplayer View Post
For me, I easily get twice the life out of them...probably closer to 3-4X the life, so not any more expensive in the long run; in fact, maybe cheaper.
They do seem to last a very long time. That could be a mitigating factor in a purchasing decision. But, I'm content to wait until a very good sale comes along. Plus, I just picked up a doz sets of EJ16's at guitar ctr for really cheap - so I'm stocked for a while.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:14 AM

Well, I'm primarily an Elixir user. In fact, I have never liked or used D'Addario PB's. But, a few months ago I decided to give the NiBr a go, and I am totally smitten with them. I have them on several guitars, and have not been disappointed at all. Great strings, and do seem to have a nice life to them.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Nickel Bronze Acoustic strings sound amazing on my old J45. On my other acoustic guitars I prefer phosphor bronze or 80/20. On the J45 the Nickel Bronze Acoustics just sound right.

FWIW I think you have to try these on a guitar to see whether they're a good match for the instrument. You can't really predict that based on size, type, or brand of guitar.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:27 AM

I put a set on my Gibson J15 and liked them so much I will be trying them on my other guitars. I just got an Ibanez AW hog dread that I'm thinking could sound pretty good with them.

Best,
PJ
Old 12-05-2017, 10:31 AM

Yep, my primary string of choice. NBs are very well balanced and like many D'Addario strings, you can count on them for a consistent sound.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

Agree. Good strings- I dig em.

madhat.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Are you saying that these strings will last 6-8 years, on average?

So far, I've had my Martin SP7100 strings on my custom 000/OM-18 for over two years and they still sound excellent, to me.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:00 AM
Guest 728

Quote:
, I've tried them on a few other guitars too and they were just okay, but for whatever reason--at least to my ear--they really shine on small bodied all-hogs.
I feel the same way about Martin Retros. Good on some spruce tops, but great on hogtops!!
Old 12-05-2017, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
Are you saying that these strings will last 6-8 years, on average?
Don't know, and don't know if I have enough years left to find out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
So far, I've had my Martin SP7100 strings on my custom 000/OM-18 for over two years and they still sound excellent, to me.
Might be time to consult with others...

Martin 000-28EC

-Andrés Segovia
Old 12-05-2017, 11:17 AM

I've currently got them on my 1981 MIJ Epiphone and they sound very good on that guitar. They have a markedly different tonality than PB's for sure. There are a number of vids on YouTube comparing these strings to others and in every one there is a demonstrable difference that NB's bring.

That being said, there is no one set of strings that is best for every guitar. In fact, I've done extensive testing over the past year and can say that every guitar has a set of strings that will optimize it's sound. There is no substitute for testing every guitar if you want the best sound from it.

For those who think their guitar might have a little something extra to give, NB's are definitely worth a try. Yeah, they are a little pricey and I don't think I'll be ordering any more, but for some they might be the ticket.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion