The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-20-2002, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Default Goodbye i-Beam, hello ?

After a couple of weeks of fiddlin' around with this beamer, I have pulled it from the 355 for good. The problem I could not get past was a mid to low range honk that just couldnt be eq'ed out. I even stuck the beam in my Takamine solid koa and spruce dread and got the same results so, That is it, next, I'm thinking maybe the b-band? Anyone want to buy a couple of i-Beams?
Old 04-22-2002, 10:06 PM

I definetly recommend the B-Band. I don't think you'll be disapointed. I have one in my 815, and have not yet once regretted it.

I also recommend the L.R. Baggs ParaAcoustic DI. It'll enhance your sound and give you volume/EQ controls.

3 thumbs up.
Old 04-22-2002, 10:11 PM
Charter Member

Chris, I just e-mailed you about the b-band.
Old 04-23-2002, 12:04 PM
guitar, amp fixer upper.

I went to Cassells yesterday and they have a Big Baby there with a B Band in it. It really sounds full. Of what my ears have told me the B Band might be one of the best out there.

Ron
Old 04-23-2002, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Anyone wanna post specs on this B-Band? Being clueless about amplification beyond the pre-existing onboard fishmans, I have no clue what y'all are talkin about

(Insert one line representation of cleverness here)
Old 04-23-2002, 04:35 PM

Ryan,

There are two type of B-Band pickups, the UST (undersaddle type) and AST 1470 (soundboard) models. I'm not sure what type the others are refering to but I would guess it's the UST.

I like the B-Band USTs. However, I have an older version which can be a pain to get good string balance and has a lower output relative to other USTs. The new 4th generation B-Band UST in conjunction with the newest preamp B-Band offers solves pretty much solve both problems. The new B-Band stuff should be out by May or June of this year.

The B-Band UST is definitely more feedback resistant than the Matrix (stock pickup in my 714CE). To my ears, it also has more clarity and a wider dynamic range than the Matrix. It also has much less 'quack' to it than the Matrix. However, if you don't plan on playing at high volume levels to compete with electric bass and drums, consider the B-Band AST. It sounds more natural than their UST and you'll never run into string balance problems. At NAMM, I heard both in the same guitar and I thought the AST sounded better. B-Band offers several dual source systems if you want both the UST and AST.

I'm debating if I should upgrade my B-Band system to the UST (cheapest route), AST or both (most expensive route). Decisions, decisions, decisions ...

GL
Old 04-24-2002, 12:20 AM

I am a big fan of the K&K pure western in my 710ltd. I use it with a PADI or a Strawberry Blonde with great results. Excellent balance and a nice warm tone. It won't feedback in most situations either.
BTW...it is a soundboard transducer...not the UST type.
Old 04-24-2002, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

YIKES!!! I just put the b-band with the core 99 pre amp in the 355 and plugged er' direct into the Genz and hmmmm. I got a very workable tone quite quickly. Good enough to play live with too! It has a warm mellow tone about it. The top isn't thumpy either, I may like this. I tried the fishman pro eq II but that didn't work too well. I am going down in a minute to try the padi. More later................
Old 04-25-2002, 12:14 AM

Uh oh...is there a chance you'll keep the PADI??
Old 04-25-2002, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

Relax Jerome!! That is not the way I do business. You will get your padi as we have made a deal and I honor my deals. The padi sounds good with this combination like you said.
Old 04-25-2002, 08:50 AM

Haha...nah, I was just joking around. Seriously though--that PADI is a sweet machine with many different kinds of acoustic instruments. If you change your mind, just let me know.
Old 04-25-2002, 10:04 PM
Charter Member

Just to update everyone, I did some more foolin around tonight and I am convinced. the B-band ust with the core-99 active pre is working in my beloved 355. I just spent about an hour with the padi and my Genz and this IS the idea setup. Chris, you were on the money on this one. If anyone has been thinking about wiring up one of their acoustics, I would be more than happy to give you a few pointers, I've been through a few of these.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification