The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-20-2014, 09:00 AM

Default Most under appreciated Carbon of 2014

Blackbird Lucky 13 Revoiced
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 12-23-2014, 11:55 PM

I've shown my (2014) Lucky 13 to a few guitar friends and they absolutely loved it. I do too. It's not as loud as my (late 2013) Emerald X20. I reach for the Lucky when I want to try something quiet or with finger picking. I reach for the X20 when I don't know what I am going to do or if I am going to jam with someone. I'll bring the Lucky if I have a specific reason, but I consider the X20 my general purpose guitar. Those are the only two I ever play anymore as I find that I just don't consider grabbing any of my wood acoustics.

I would offer that something by Emerald could be considered the most under appreciated guitar of 2014 also. I love my L13, but Alistair has so many innovations and will build pretty much anything you can imagine that it boggles the mind. For 2015 I would love to see a stock 12 string based on either of these two models though if I had my druthers I would want something in-between such as an X20 with a slightly shorter scale (but not the super short Amicus 18 inches).
Old 12-24-2014, 06:23 AM

I don't disagree about Emerald guitars, kind of in a class by themselves. But I do hear a lot of discussion about them. You hear the most about Rainsong here. My thought was the Lucky 13 is very much like Rainsong very traditional and is not really discussed here like Rainsong.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 12-24-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
I don't disagree about Emerald guitars, kind of in a class by themselves. But I do hear a lot of discussion about them. You hear the most about Rainsong here. My thought was the Lucky 13 is very much like Rainsong very traditional and is not really discussed here like Rainsong.
Before pulling the trigger on the Shorty this year I had to evaluate the L13. I love the looks and that it was getting such great reviews. Unfortunately for me (and a potential sale for the folks at Blackbird) I was never able to spot one to try. You can't even walk into a GC and play a RainSong on any given day much less a Blackbird of any kind. When corresponding back and forth with Michael at MacNichol, the guitars I was asking about were the revoiced Lucky and the Shorty, the latter of which I had tried. He agreed that, for my needs, the Shorty suited me better- especially since I play up the neck a lot and the Shorty has a cutaway.

Would my decision have been different if I had not missed the L13 road show? I suspect it would have made the decision much harder.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Before pulling the trigger on the Shorty this year I had to evaluate the L13. I love the looks and that it was getting such great reviews. Unfortunately for me (and a potential sale for the folks at Blackbird) I was never able to spot one to try. You can't even walk into a GC and play a RainSong on any given day much less a Blackbird of any kind. When corresponding back and forth with Michael at MacNichol, the guitars I was asking about were the revoiced Lucky and the Shorty, the latter of which I had tried. He agreed that, for my needs, the Shorty suited me better- especially since I play up the neck a lot and the Shorty has a cutaway.

Would my decision have been different if I had not missed the L13 road show? I suspect it would have made the decision much harder.
You raise the tuff question, how can I evaluate what I can't play. Relying on advice from trusted vendors makes sense. I think Michael gave you the right advice, I don't like cutaways. Would be great to have a Carbon Fest weekend where we go somewhere and swop guitars around.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 12-24-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
You raise the tuff question, how can I evaluate what I can't play. Relying on advice from trusted vendors makes sense. I think Michael gave you the right advice, I don't like cutaways. Would be great to have a Carbon Fest weekend where we go somewhere and swop guitars around.
I don't think the Lucky is under appreciated at all. I would love to spend some time with one but suspect that explaining to my wife why I need yet another guitar would be indeed more complicated than making the first decision on which guitar would be my first CF.

If money were no object I would add to my collection:

Larivee OM-09
Blackbird Lucky 13 (of course sight unseen at this point)
Emerald Synergy

But alas, I have been awfully naughty this year......
Old 12-24-2014, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post

But alas, I have been awfully naughty this year......
From my experience, you still get stuff, even when you're naughty. I look for the packages that say:

To: Me

"Oh, look - it is just what I wanted!"
Old 12-25-2014, 03:35 AM

rainsong is definitely the company of conversation of this forum but then they have the biggest production. I'd love to try one and an emerald and even the revoiced L13 to compare to mine. By the time composites become more common place, these wishes will be vintage.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:53 PM

Question

Quote:
Blackbird Lucky 13 Revoiced
How does the revoiced model compare to the original?
Old 01-08-2015, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveR View Post
How does the revoiced model compare to the original?
Original bluesy but I only played one very briefly. New voicing sweeter, warmer, more wood like.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 01-08-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
I've shown my (2014) Lucky 13 to a few guitar friends and they absolutely loved it. I do too. It's not as loud as my (late 2013) Emerald X20. I reach for the Lucky when I want to try something quiet or with finger picking. I reach for the X20 when I don't know what I am going to do or if I am going to jam with someone. I'll bring the Lucky if I have a specific reason, but I consider the X20 my general purpose guitar. Those are the only two I ever play anymore as I find that I just don't consider grabbing any of my wood acoustics.

I would offer that something by Emerald could be considered the most under appreciated guitar of 2014 also. I love my L13, but Alistair has so many innovations and will build pretty much anything you can imagine that it boggles the mind. For 2015 I would love to see a stock 12 string based on either of these two models though if I had my druthers I would want something in-between such as an X20 with a slightly shorter scale (but not the super short Amicus 18 inches).
__________________________________________________ _____

I think the Emerald X20 deserves more attention.

I agree that my Emerald X20 has become my go-to guitar - especially if I'm doing a gig or playing with friends. It's got a big, clear voice and the electronics are terrific. It can hold up well in an unplugged jam or on a stage.

I have a Composite Acoustics Cargo travel guitar that I really like for taking on trips or playing by myself. For wood guitars, I've got a Martin and a Breedlove as well, but at the end of the day, I'll still find myself picking up the Emerald X20... it plays so nice and sounds so good, I'm continually amazed.

Agree too that a 12-string version of an X20 body, with a slightly shorter scale neck would be really nice. I want a big voice from a 12...not a trebly one. The Amicus just doesn't do it for me.

Just one man's opinion.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber