The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-05-2014, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Default Trying to be good for Christmas??

OK, it has been 5 days since a new post on the Carbon Fiber Forum - is everyone on their best behavior??

Just because...

A year and a half since I took delivery of the Shorty, while we were living on our boat that summer.

How long have you been playing CF? Feel free to add a photo with your post.

Happy Holidays!
Jim
Old 12-05-2014, 09:59 AM

"How long have you been playing CF? Feel free to add a photo with your post."

Seven and 1/2 years. Since I took a detour on my way from VT to MT so I could stop at Elderly. After I'd played the Rainsong OM for an hour, my wife sighed and said, "Buy it, and let's get going!"
Old 12-05-2014, 10:15 AM

Happy holidays Jim, nice to see that the Shorty is working out for you.

Got my first CF guitar back in 2000, a Rainsong OM1000. We had just purchased our vacation home in the local mountains and found out the hard way that humidity hovers around 12% up there so off to GC I went. Although our local GC is their biggest and best, the CF selection was sparse to say the least, basically one guitar, the Rainsong OM1000. I told the kid I would take it and he seemed surprised I would want to spend 2K on a "plastic" guitar but then he played it and realized these things were quite good. I then explained to him my purpose for buying it which convinced him they should start stocking more of them.

Fast forward fourteen years and my personal stable of CF guitar has grown quite a bit, and I can't recall the last time any of my wood guitars left the house. Rainsong is still by far my favorite but my Blackbird Rider is the one with the most miles on it. A few years ago Ashvin built a gorgeous 12-Fret Black Ice Dreadnought for me, and more often than not you will find this guitar in the back of my SUV. Here it is being put to good use in Malibu.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:11 PM

We picked up a WS-1000 about a dozen years ago (it was actually made in Hawaii, before Rainsong moved to WA). We made a side trip / pilgrimage to Elderly during a visit to family in Michigan. At that time Alaska was home, and were putting ten gallons of water per day through the humidifier just to get the house up to ~25% RH all winter. CF was the only option for a guitar to keep handy and not be a case queen with multiple humidifiers. We've loved the WS-1000 ever since. We acquired a second RS a few years later when local store in AK got a batch of PMJ-1000's on clearance. Rainsong tried making a Korean import series - still with the CF top only - as a way to get the price point down, but it didn't work out for them. We got it for a steal, and in retrospect I wish that I had bought more than one and a dreadnought or two as well.

Recently the wife picked up her CA Cargo. It was love at first play when she tried it, and she just loved the small body and shorter scale. She might have gone with the Shorty had we ever seen one in the flesh. The Cargo has completely replaced her GS Mini, which sits virtually unplayed now.

Most recently, I picked up a used 2001 vintage DR-1000 at a good price from Craigslist for a friend who has really wanted one, but lacked the cash. We are working out a trade / payment deal. I feel good about getting his dream guitar into his hands. Does that count as being good?
Old 12-05-2014, 04:03 PM

I happened upon a 12 string Rainsong in a small store in Sydney one time - I'd never heard of carbon fiber guitars before but it's playability was amazing. After having to discard my Washburn acoustic, due to an unfixable back bow on the neck from years of multiple, mostly humid, climates, I started investigating CF guitars and, after some research, ended up purchasing a Composite Acoustics GX from MacNichols just after CA went belly up - my GX being one of the last built, in September 2009. After an agonising wait of few months to get it (I had it sent to relatives in San Francisco, but I was still in Australia at this time) I finally picked it mid 2010.
Here's a recent pic, backyard, Los Angeles.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 12-05-2014, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for participating on this thread, folks. I was surprised to see this CF forum go that long without a post. I think we all enjoy seeing the photos, too.

Just for clarification: you still get stuff for Christmas, even if you aren't good. Wish I had known this when I was a kid.

Keep the CF firsts coming.

Happy Holidays!
Jim
Old 12-05-2014, 08:20 PM

I bought my first CF guitar on August 8, 2007. It was a Rainsong OM. I got bitten by the CF bug and now have many CF instruments. I am a happy camper!
Barb
Old 12-06-2014, 01:15 PM

Bought a CA cargo about two years ago, I really liked it, but didn't keep it due to the short scale length. A few months ago I bought a used but mint condition Rainsong P12 for a great price from a fellow forum member. I love that I will be able to leave it out on a stand all winter, even when the rh drops to 25! I'm very happy with it.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaichine View Post
Bought a CA cargo about two years ago, I really liked it, but didn't keep it due to the short scale length. A few months ago I bought a used but mint condition Rainsong P12 for a great price from a fellow forum member. I love that I will be able to leave it out on a stand all winter, even when the rh drops to 25! I'm very happy with it.
I'm bonding well with my new P-12 also, had it for a month now. No problems at all with NS neck. I loved the GS Mini I sold to get this guitar but I love the wider nut and the bigger sound of the P-12 even more.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 12-06-2014, 09:04 PM

I fgot my first CF guitar in 2006, one of the first CA Legacy models (Vintage Performer) to roll off the new production line when they opened their new factory.

Her's a photo of it in action,with me rocking' out a bit...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber