The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-05-2014, 07:51 AM

Default impressions on new CA OX

greetings!

Purchased a CA OX in white gloss from Artisan a few weeks ago. First ever CF guitar I've owned or played and overall I'm very pleased, feel I made the right decision (I did a lot of research in advance).

I set it up with D'Addario ultra-lights (10-47), shaved about a half mil off the saddle which was almost too much with the lighter strings. Nice, low, light action, does fret a tiny bit in a couple places, mainly with a capo at 3rd fret. I did level out and re-dress two frets that were showing slightly high on my fret rocker, that helped. I feel the nut is perhaps a bit too low as shipped but not going to mess with it.

The only issue I have with the guitar now is the L.R. Baggs Stage Pro Pick-up system, the volume slider scratches a tiny bit which will sound very bad amplified on a PA. Also the B and high E strings are abnormally LOUD. I was able to EQ a lot of that through my pre-amp (Rocktron Voodoo Valve) but it's still not normal. May just live with it; the guitar is pretty mid-rangy amplified anyway, also very hot output and distorts, just back way off on the volume and it's acceptable.

Wanted to see if any other CA owners have problems with or noticed the L.R. Baggs Stage Pro Pick-up sounds a bit "odd" (or scratchy volume).

BTW, the feedback notch works great, I can say that

THX,
Chris
Old 11-20-2014, 07:49 PM

Love my pre Peavey CA Ox. I think its an amazing sounding guitar with an easy play neck- at least for me.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:02 PM

I just got a Roland AC-33 acoustic amp and that CA OX sounds phenomenal through it. Much more balanced; amazing what using an acoustic amp with an acoustic guitar will do

Now that I have had this guitar for about 5 weeks and been playing it almost exclusively that entire time, I have to say I am feeling the love. It's got a great action, sounds great amplified, acceptable acoustically (a bit volume challenged but that is due to the small body size), definitely acceptable amplified with the correct amp and it's great to look at. Only down side is some of my musician friends don't know what to make of it and sometimes call it a "plastic guitar" ("um, actually, it's carbon fiber...").

I wanted something different and that is what I got. Why buy another acoustic guitar if it doesn't offer something unique?
Old 11-23-2014, 03:22 PM

Interesting I played a McPherson Kevin Michael with the same pickup and my only issue with the guitar were the E & B string were too hot?
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 12-15-2014, 08:08 AM

What I have discovered about the CA OX pre-amp is -- do not turn it up 100% volume, keep it at 60-70% volume and the EQ controls flat unless playing through badly behaved PA or somebody else's amp that really needs it (at church I have to cut the low end and add a treble boost). That is what I do with my Breedlove and the reason it sounds so good amplified. Funny that when I got the CA I immediately cranked the pre-amp volume up 100% thinking that was what it needed.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Tags
ca ox