The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-14-2014, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Yes, raise one or the other. If you have a good local tech, they should be able to do that pretty easily. This was one reason I did go with a Rainsong...I realize that, once the neck is set, it shouldn't (in theory) move, but I wanted the ability to fine-tune with a truss rod adjustment. Hopefully the saddle/nut height will do what you need.

Re: heavier strings, I was told by a builder that builds for mediums, that lights vibrate too much and might buzz, so if you're comfortable with mediums, that might help.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 11-05-2014, 07:07 AM

I have a CA OX that I got from Artisan a few weeks ago. I strung it with D'addario ultra lights 10/47, shaved about a half mil off the composite saddle and leveled, re-dressed two frets. Very low, clean action, almost feels like my Tele build. Some minor fret buzz, mainly when capoed at 3rd fret. The neck is very straight so that helps. I feel the nut as shipped was a little too low but not going to mess with that now. Overall I am very happy with the action now that I have been playing it for a few weeks and had that "bonding" experience
Old 11-24-2014, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecontra View Post
I did change the strings, but simply went from Elixers to D'Addario EXP 12 gauge. Same gauge that it had from the factory.

The action is pretty low which is nice. Just a hair above 2/32" at the 12th fret.

I'm not really sure how to check relief, but if I fret the e string at the 1st and 12th fret, there is literally just a hair of space between the E string and frets, it's nearly touching.
Different guitar but my Rainsong Parlor has a similar setup and it is easy to play and has no fret buzzing.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber