The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-18-2014, 05:07 PM

Default How to adjust a carbon fiber guitar?

I recently bought a CA Cargo Raw and I am planning on buying an OX or GX in the near future. However I have a question.

Is there any way to adjust the guitar in terms of fret buzz? On my Cargo, it plays and sounds very nice, but I noticed that there is a bit more fret buzz when playing barre chords than I am used to with my traditional wood acoustics. I realize that the neck cannot be adjusted (as far as I know), but would any other adjustments be recommended or possible to correct this issue?

Thanks for any advice! ---Joe
Old 09-18-2014, 06:16 PM

You might try higher tension strings ( I use mediums on my Cargo) and/or a new taller saddle or a saddle shim.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:24 PM

You adjust the action on a CF guitar just like you do on a wood guitar. String height at the saddle and at the nut is changed by raising or lowering the nut slots and saddle height. For CF guitars that DON'T have truss rods, you cannot change the neck relief easily. But truss rod adjustments are not really a major part of a set up anyway - just a final tweak when the rest of the set up is basically good. Truss rods adjustments are NOT a substitute for basic setup parameters.

Neither of my Rainsongs have truss rods, for example, but I don't care because they never seem to change their neck relief perceptibly with either light or medium strings, or with various tunings (higher and lower than standard).
Old 09-22-2014, 11:39 PM

New or used? Some of the pre-Peavey Cargos were reputed to have neck issues.
-----Alvarez MF75S
-----Guild F20SB
Old 10-03-2014, 01:20 PM

Brand new. Again, it's pretty slight.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:02 PM

Other than what's been said already, all I have got is trying for a lighter attack. If the buzz is consistent across all the strings you might be able to teach yourself to play (strum or pluck) just a bit lighter than an effort that causes a buzz.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:59 PM

Thanks for all the info, guys, much appreciated.

Are carbon fiber necks (with no truss rod) affected by tension like a standard wooden neck? Like will heavier or lighter gauge strings cause the neck relief to change?

On my cargo, it plays pretty sweet in most spots except for a bit of buzz at the 3rd fret, most noticeable when playing barre chords. Someone else suggested to have the frets leveled & crowned. The action is pretty much perfect so I'm considering going this route.

On a side note, I love the guitar and it's a minor issue, but I'm trying to get it as close to perfect as possible.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:32 AM

I had an older Emerald X7 with no truss rod (now have an X7-OS) and it measured 0.004 relief with lights and with mediums. No change. But this might have been an exception as I know other Emerald owners have measured at least "some" change with heavier strings. Far less change than with wood, of course.

Rainsong in the past (maybe now too) used to recommend using lights as their guitars were designed for light strings. But they also said that heavier strings would not do any damage. If I recall correctly, instead of relief concern, their caution was that the belly of their guitars might pull up a tad which would mean some players might want action adjusted to compensate. This might be true for other carbon guitars also though I haven't noticed changes on my smaller sized Emeralds.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecontra View Post
You could raise the action with a new saddle or try heavier gauge strings, but if you purchased it new than I would suggest letting your dealer take care of it.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
if it's brand new, I'd take it back and let the dealer set it up properly.

As already mentioned the saddle and nut can be adjusted, plus the frets can be leveled.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

I have only owned my OX so I am not an expert...

If the guitar is brand new and you have not changed the strings than it is surprising. How low is the action at the 12th fret?

If you fret the e string at the 1st and 12th fret how much relief does the neck have?
Martin OM-42 Martin OM-42 Koa Martin 00-42K Robbie Robertson. Martin GPCPA1 Martin OMC Aura Orchestra Santa Cruz 00. Santa Cruz 00M Taylor custom 12 fret GC Adirondack Taylor 912e Taylor GA4 Blueridge BR-371 Rainsong P12 Atienza Parlor An embarrassingly long list of others...
Old 10-07-2014, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

How "tense" do the strings feel? If you fret the bar cord firmly does the buzzing stop? Just to rule out string tension.
Martin OM-42 Martin OM-42 Koa Martin 00-42K Robbie Robertson. Martin GPCPA1 Martin OMC Aura Orchestra Santa Cruz 00. Santa Cruz 00M Taylor custom 12 fret GC Adirondack Taylor 912e Taylor GA4 Blueridge BR-371 Rainsong P12 Atienza Parlor An embarrassingly long list of others...
Old 10-12-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83SanDimas View Post
I have only owned my OX so I am not an expert...

If the guitar is brand new and you have not changed the strings than it is surprising. How low is the action at the 12th fret?

If you fret the e string at the 1st and 12th fret how much relief does the neck have?
I did change the strings, but simply went from Elixers to D'Addario EXP 12 gauge. Same gauge that it had from the factory.

The action is pretty low which is nice. Just a hair above 2/32" at the 12th fret.

I'm not really sure how to check relief, but if I fret the e string at the 1st and 12th fret, there is literally just a hair of space between the E string and frets, it's nearly touching.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:50 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
I did change the strings, but simply went from Elixers to D'Addario EXP 12 gauge. Same gauge that it had from the factory.

The action is pretty low which is nice. Just a hair above 2/32" at the 12th fret.

I'm not really sure how to check relief, but if I fret the e string at the 1st and 12th fret, there is literally just a hair of space between the E string and frets, it's nearly touching.
Same gauge does not mean same tension, and 1/16" is way too low as far as I'm concerned.

HE
Old 10-13-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Same gauge does not mean same tension, and 1/16" is way too low as far as I'm concerned.

HE
So should I go back to 12 gauge Elixirs? And if that doesn't work, try raising the saddle or nut?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber