The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-07-2014, 12:59 PM

Default Life Expectancy

Will a carbon fiber guitar last forever?
I can't think of anything on one that would degrade over time unless the epoxy that binds the fibers together deteriorated over time.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
Will a carbon fiber guitar last forever?
Last longer than I will that's for your.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:48 PM

When Michael at MacNichol delivered my GXi, he told me to enjoy it and take care of it because I would be giving it to my Grandkids (my oldest daughter is 14).

To answer your question, I'm thinking a couple hundred thousand years as long as it avoids anything traumatic.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:02 AM

About ten years ago a local folk singer named Eddie Foy said to me about my Rainsong, "That guitar will be around for three thousand years."
Variax 700/podXt Live
Yamaha C40 Classical
(Chinese) Acrylic Strat
Old 11-09-2014, 10:34 AM

Interesting that a carbon fiber guitar could be passed down to multiple future generations and only needing string changes and maybe a refret.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:32 AM

I don't think anyone knows how long a CF guitar will last. I suspect that some will be good for more than 100 years.

As far as possibly needing a refret, that's why I think all CF guitars should come with SS frets. I won't buy another acoustic guitar with SS.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

At this stage of my life, I'm not overly concerned about the life expectancy of my guitars. Of course, I'm hoping to be able to play 'em all for a lot of years. Heck, I'd like to make it long enough to get most of my money back from Social Security.

To show that some of us old dogs can learn new tricks, I do give my wood guitars more care now than I knew about just a few years ago. And my RainSong Shorty seems happy to travel... to the desert, or months on the water. And, sounds great doing it.

I guess I always expected my guitars to outlive me. Well, if they stay around that long. Of the 6 I have right now, one I've had for 48 years; the rest are within the past 5 years (the new kids).

Captain Jim
Old 11-14-2014, 10:43 AM

I was doing my monthly time travel thing (please don't tell the authorities as they will misuse the technology of course) and came across this...thought it might be of some interest. These particular guitars are Emeralds but I am sure they found all CF brands intact.

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber