The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-28-2017, 03:46 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Default Which CF guitars interest you?

Out of all the current CF builders and models, which are on your radar for serious consideration, and why? Here's my list...

Emerald
- Chimaera: I have owned a 6/12 for a number of years and have a new coco woody on order. I like this guitar for a number of reasons. It's fun.
- X20: Although I'll be considering the others listed, an X20 Opus may be in my future for my Florida home.
- X7: Only if for some reason my CA Cargo were to disappear.

Rainsong
I'd have to do more research, but the only RS that really appeals to me from a visual standpoint is the APLE, or maybe APSE. I find the Black Ice model kinda cool, but I don't think I'd buy one. Personally, I'm not a fan of the shark fret markers or their abalone rosette. At some point I expect to seek-out some RSs to give them a fair shot.

Blackbird
The Savoy is quite appealing though perhaps a bit pricey. The El Capitan is interesting, but I wouldn't seriously consider unless a cutaway and redesigned headstock would be offered.

Composite Acoustics
The GX. I've owned a GXi (gloss tobacco burst) and still own a Cargo RT. I'd take a serious look at a GX.

Journey
If I ever get another motorcycle and travel on it, I'd get an OF660M (M for matte finish).

There are other builders and many models (I consider some Ovation models as being in the composite realm), but the foregoing are the ones that are capturing my attention for future serious consideration.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:10 PM

Like Kramster, I pretty much already own every CF acoustic I'm interested in, but I could get interested in a couple that don't exist yet, like an Ekoa Rider, or another Rainsong 12-String, but one based on the Shorty like the Taylor 12x12.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

I've never owned a CF guitar, but think I'd like to get one for outdoor "all weather" playing (though I do now have a GS Mini Koa for that).

Anyways, the CF guitar that most intrigues me is the Composite Acoustics Legacy.

Composite Acoustics because:
  • I've been impressed by what I've learned researching the company
  • I like the specs on their guitars (YAY 1-3/4" nut width & 14" fretboard radius)
  • I like the looks of their guitars
...and the Legacy because it's a Dreadnought. Try as I may intellectually to like small bodied guitars, I am a Dreadnought player at heart.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 06-28-2017, 05:17 PM

I've owned half a dozen or so CF guitars over the years. Right now I'm interested in:

1. Emerald X7: Because I've never had an Emerald and it seems like a great couch size.

2. Blackbird Savoy: This would be #1 if it weren't so much money, because it's a great size and the tone on the recordings I've heard sounds so warm and natural.

3. Emerald X20: I'm afraid of this seeming too big (OM is the biggest I typically go), but I can't help being curious about it too.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

X7 Opus but custom with a Taylor-esque neck/nut/scale

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 06-28-2017, 05:50 PM

I have a CA GX (which dropped off my playing rotation for a long time but now is now fully back, probably getting 90% of playtime at the moment)

A Blackbird Lucky 13 and/or Blackbird Savoy would be very nice to own - not sure which (I haven't tried a Savoy), so lets just say one of each.

I'm quietly gassing for a nice 12 string, I think an Emerald X20 12-string would fit the bill nicely.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 06-28-2017, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

Well, all of them interest me. I have what I like, but I also know enough to not say, "I'm done."

In regards to the comment about the X20 perhaps being "too big": I really appreciate a comfortable guitar. The X20 is close in size to my Taylor 814, but feels more comfortable and intimate because of the ergonomic shape. And the sound... oh, how I love the tone.

One of my favorite things about CF: the builder can consider the ergonomics in the build process and design in all those great curves, rolled edges, and arm rest bevel. Hold one, and you will feel the difference right away. Play it for several hours and you will not want to go back.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
In regards to the comment about the X20 perhaps being "too big": I really appreciate a comfortable guitar. The X20 is close in size to my Taylor 814, but feels more comfortable and intimate because of the ergonomic shape. And the sound... oh, how I love the tone.

One of my favorite things about CF: the builder can consider the ergonomics in the build process and design in all those great curves, rolled edges, and arm rest bevel. Hold one, and you will feel the difference right away. Play it for several hours and you will not want to go back.
Well, that's exactly why I'm still interested in it.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:10 PM
Guest 928

When the nylon strung Savoy shows up, I'll probably be in line.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:11 PM

Oh man, this will be fun to answer:

From RainSong I would love to try/ see

A guitar that does not have a cutaway.

The use of color more like what Emerald is doing (a transparent finish
rather than solid).

More flexibility in the customization area

Test drive a dread or WS

From Blackbird

The Lucky 13. I like the body size and that is does not have a cutaway- I also think the neck to body joint is super cool on those!

From CA

Anything, I’ve never even ever seen one in the wild (of course I’ve not seen a Blackbird either). I think these sound great

From Emerald

The X20 just because of the buzz that is around them

An Amicus

A Baritone

Guitars with a traditional soundhole placement!

Last edited by steelvibe; 06-28-2017 at 06:24 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:12 PM

I have three already. Rainsong WS-1000, Blackbird Lucky 13, and a CA Cargo covering a wide spectrum of sizes and tones.

I have interest in owning a CF twelve string, which right now means Emerald X20-12. The Blackbird El Capitan holds some interest, but is too much like my various Taylor GA's, and would be redundant -- until they sell off.

El Cap's headstock looks much cooler in person than in photos. Not a deal breaker, but I still might wish for a more conventional paddle head (unslotted). I realize that would requiire a whole new neck mold ($$$$), so is unlikely to
happen.

I have played various CA full size guitars, and they are quite nice, but my six string needs are largely met. No bad reflection on them, just others got there first.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:24 PM

The X20 feels small and very comfortable to hold, but it is still a dreadnought and is my goto guitar.

I could be talked into a Journey for when I need to pack a guitar in tight spaces and maybe a Rainsong because I really like the one I played recently. I think the sharks would look cool next to the birds on my PRS electric.

That said, I am trying to decrease the number of guitars I have but somehow keep heading in the wrong direction.

I came very close to getting a Taylor 814 a few years ago but then found a Taylor Koa that I absolutely loved. I decided to wait because I didn't have a secure place for it at the time and grabbed the X20 on a lark for its toughness figuring at the time I would sell it a year or two later. I thought CF varieties were probably OK but really gimmicks more than guitars before it arrived. Boy was I wrong. I have kept it for its ergonomics, playability and sound and don't see myself getting another wood guitar. I might get another CF or two, but will probably pass on another high end wood acoustic guitar.

I also have a Lucky 13 and it is incredible too. What a sound.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 06-28-2017, 07:58 PM

Number 1 would be one that does not exist, a Rainsong 00.

I'd also really like an Emerald Chimaera. (standard 6/12 config)

The Savoy looks interesting but is definitely priced out of my league.

In all likelihood my next CF guitar will be either a Rainsong CH-PA or PA-12S
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 06-28-2017, 08:01 PM

I own a Blackbird Lucky 13 and a CA Cargo. I would primarily be interested in a Blackbird Savoy, and also an Emerald x20 in short scale.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:38 PM

Cool

Within the choices given, I think Rainsong is my pick, like the APSE.

By the way, I have a Leviora guitar ordered from Thomas, which give me much more options and do have better sound in my opinion. You may consider that since it almost have indefinite useful life

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber