The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: How do you feel about buying guitars online?
I have no problem buying online from a seller I trust 110 44.18%
I'm OK with buying online, but would rather buy in person if possible 68 27.31%
I don't like buying online but will if I have to (can't find it locally, much better deal, etc.) 32 12.85%
I rarely or never buy online 25 10.04%
It depends on the guitar/seller/circumstance (explain below) 14 5.62%
Voters: 249. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-27-2017, 07:47 PM

Default How do you feel about buying guitars online?

I've been lurking in this forum for the past few months, and I've read lots of different opinions about buying guitars online - several folks have said they never (or almost never) like to buy online, and many folks have happily reported NGD's from online purchases. I'm curious as to the general opinion on buying sight unseen - hence the poll.

Particularly for those who do not like buying online, what's your major concern?

(Note that I'm not a dealer or anything, just a regular guy who's thinking about my next purchase...)
Old 06-27-2017, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

I've bought one guitar in person and all the rest (acoustics and electrics)have been online. Never a problem. Buying from Maury's Music online is great, because he gives you two weeks to try it out.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:54 PM

I always prefer to play before I pay. When it's not possible I seek out a seller who I can develop a report with and get all the necessary information to form an educated decision and make the purchase.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:57 PM

It definitely depends on the seller or retail store and whether I feel confident with them. As of the last few days, Brendan, owner of HeartbreakerGuitars, gave me a 7 day trial period which I think is their standard policy for any guitar, but I could be wrong. Anyway, just bought a Santa Cruz used 1929 000 Mahogany guitar from them and it should arrive on Friday. That's far and away the best trial period I've ever gotten to try out a guitar. Yeah to HeartbreakerGuitars!

Last edited by Looburst; 06-27-2017 at 08:03 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:58 PM

I haven't had issues. Certain brands can be hit or miss. Certain brands are Mr. Consistent.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
I haven't had issues. Certain brands can be hit or miss. Certain brands are Mr. Consistent.
So the obvious question - care to name names?
Old 06-27-2017, 08:04 PM

I live in a area that none of the local music stores carry the higher end guitars I usually seek so online with lots of research about both the guitar and seller gets done.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:08 PM

I've been both lucky and unlucky with very expensive guitars from both individuals as well as 'certified dealers'. I was lucky with the individuals, enough said.

I no longer consider buying items unseen, a 50/50 chance or worse doesn't do it for me, especially not when 4000$ is at stake.

Ludwig
Old 06-27-2017, 08:08 PM

It is economics and regional. 15 years ago I could go to no less than 4 local shops and pretty much find anything I wanted or needed, 20 years ago add three more stores. Today there is one store in 40, 50 miles, so today, sure, I have to buy online. If we had any stores I wouldn't.

rct
Old 06-27-2017, 08:10 PM

i have found some great guitars on line when it's one i was really looking for. i recently bought a japanese lowden g7 made in the s yairi factory from an on line ad. top condition. i have been looking for one in good condition and at a reasonable price for quite a while. i bought a ted thompson jumbo t3 on line as well. a guitar i wanted for a very long time. in both cases i was able to check out the seller or the one on reverb i had the right to send it back.

usually i buy in person. but both those buys turned out great.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:17 PM

I did not want to buy online, but I was really interested in trying an Eastman guitar. Because of my nervousness about purchasing online, I decided to buy a used Eastman from Guitar Center because it kind of gave me the ability to buy online while having the support of a local store. The fact that GC has a 45-day return policy was what clinched it for me.
https://www.reverbnation.com/walthuntsman
1992 Seagull S6
2014 Eastman E10SS
Old 06-27-2017, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

As long as it's a reputable dealer who offers a trial period, I have no problem.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypressfog View Post
So the obvious question - care to name names?
Without offending people? Not sure.

Gibson and Fender are known for being a little hit or miss. Many will claim you have to play a lot of them to find the right one.

Taylor acoustics and electrics are very consistent. Tone may vary, but that's usually a function of the woods and shape. (Do your homework for the 2nd part.).
Old 06-27-2017, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

I feel like I've played enough brands and woods to know what I like and don't like and I'm happy to buy something online because I feel informed enough to shop/buy well.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 06-27-2017, 08:42 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Some of us really don't have much of a choice. We live in rural areas with few if any guitar shops within hundreds of miles...and very little selection even if we find one. Dunno what I'd do if I didn't have the option of purchasing online from quality dealers - including AGF sponsors like Ted and Maury.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion