The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-27-2017, 07:32 AM

I had an Eastman AC522 that was a joy to play and had great volume and tone. The GA sized body was too large for me to be comfortable playing it seated.

All OM's or smaller from now on.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 06-27-2017, 08:42 AM

I got bored of it.

It was a great guitar, but too similar to my other guitar and I wanted to branch out and try a significantly different body shape and wood combo.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:58 AM

I inherited 25k after my Dad died. 22k paid for my new roof. The tax bill was 6k. I sold the newest guitar, a Franklin OM 28. I took a loss, a BIG one, but the taxes were payed off.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sarad View Post
I inherited 25k after my Dad died. 22k paid for my new roof. The tax bill was 6k. I sold the newest guitar, a Franklin OM 28. I took a loss, a BIG one, but the taxes were payed off.
After reading the above I'm so pleased I'm British. 6k tax on 25k inheritance is just!!!!! In the UK inheritance tax starts at over 325k and many complain about how low that is.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:27 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I sold the last one I sold in 1977 to move up to a Les Paul. I still have the Les Paul.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-27-2017, 11:25 AM

Sold a wonderful sounding guitar that was somewhat uncomfortable to play to get a wonderful sounding guitar that is comfortable.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:26 PM

Taylor GS Mini hog, second one I've bought and sold... I sold it because after six months it needed adjustments which according to Taylor would require a neck reset. They offered to pay for this under warranty which I'm sure would be fine with many players but I was a bit annoyed and came to a few conclusions:
  • Taylor's bolt-on neck design makes their guitars easier to maintenance and dial in precision setup but their techs have to do the work and will always have to do the adjustments. I didn't want to have to hunt down an authorized Taylor service tech or worse ship the guitar and then get in line for a month to wait for repairs.
  • I like to do my own setup work and was annoyed a neck reset was going to be required after such short time. The innovation of the bolt-on neck is great and all but if it comes at the cost of more frequent resets that have to be done at a Taylor tech I question if the bolt-on design is really better for the customer or for Taylor. After the first reset they begin charging for these and even though the innovative design makes the job easier the setup involving neck reset was still going to be over $150 out of pocket.
  • After watching a few videos showing how easy the neck reset is with Taylor's bolt-on design I contacted Taylor and ask if I could buy the "shim kit" and the tool they sell to techs to remove the bolt. They refused and said it was only something they sell to authorized techs. This also got me a bit worked up. For many people this may be a perk, but I see the benefit of the bolt-on design a bit disingenuous if guitars with the bolt on need resets done a lot more often.
  • My other guitars have glued in dove tail neck joints. I know it's subjective, but I do think the bolt-on neck design changes the tone. I wasn't a fan of the changes it made.

This is my perspective of why Taylor's choices in design and maintenance just don't work for me. On the flip-side I think Taylor has exceptionally good customer service and although I wish they would sell the tools to the public they have their reasons for not doing this and I understand that perspective and respect it. I continue to love Taylor as a company. From listening to interviews and reading Bob Taylor's book and playing the Andy Powers redesigns I really keep an eye on what they are doing, but I just think for a lot of people a more traditional guitar is a better choice. If they happen to build something that works better for your style or tonal preference. I still contend the GS Mini is a better sounding easier to play instrument than I found the Martin Dread Jr to be, but that specific model is just too temperamental.

So that's the long story about why my last guitar was sold. I replaced it with a less expensive Alvarez Parlor, put Martin Retro strings on it and it's become my couch guitar which is what I end up playing the most.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine

Last edited by Rmz76; 06-27-2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

I needed to put some money towards a different guitar.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:09 PM

To fund a different one.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:15 PM

I recently cancelled a pretty sweet deal from GC realizing that just because it's a good deal doesn't make it the right guitar at the right time.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:20 PM

I sold my old Gibson LG1, that I'd had since new in 1957, because I'd always wanted a Martin and the Gibson had appreciated enough so the proceeds put the 000-15M in my budget.

I sold the Norman 12 because I wanted a smaller body instrument with more sustain and a more comfortable neck. The used Breedlove Studio 12 fit the bill and the proceeds of the Norman sale put it within my budget.

Is there a trend here? ;-)

I've never regretted either sale because in the end I got just what I wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gone and not forgotten:
Gibson LG1 (1957 model)
Norman B15 12-string (2003 model)
Old 06-27-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
For this guitar built by Australian luthier Dan Dubowski.

Oh, beautiful. I'll bet it sounds amazing too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gone and not forgotten:
Gibson LG1 (1957 model)
Norman B15 12-string (2003 model)
Old 06-29-2017, 01:39 AM

Going through a very dark period of my life which is still a 50/50 today. I sold a very nice knew, shiny LP. To buy a drugs basically. I can't sugar coat it
Old 06-29-2017, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex6strings View Post
Going through a very dark period of my life which is still a 50/50 today. I sold a very nice knew, shiny LP. To buy a drugs basically. I can't sugar coat it
I feel for you, I hope things are starting to look up for you.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Pete View Post
My wife went into the hospital with a potentially-life-threatening infection. We lost a week's worth of her wages.

While she was in the hospital, our family van broke down and burned to the ground. I've lost considerable income due to the loss of my work vehicle. The van was valued at over 6k when I bought it three years ago.

Needless to say, the money crunch necessitated a lot of difficult decisions.

Holy crap Pete, tough stuff. Hang in there!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion