The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-20-2017, 01:56 PM

Default How Musical is Your Family?

I tend to assume many musicians have music elsewhere in their family. I was introduced by my father when I was 5. Unfortunately I was more into Mario Brothers at the time. When I turned 10 I actually become interested. I wish I was interested when I was 5 though. How musical are your families? Super musical or not at all?

Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcZ...rBJYC5yufPaVAg

Last edited by M19; 06-20-2017 at 02:06 PM. Reason: There are two sexes on the forum you know
Old 06-20-2017, 02:03 PM

Default musical family

on the generations before me, it's abysmal. I have a cousin who is a piano whiz, and and aunt and a second cousin who played for the silent movies. Any of them could easily keep up with JoAnn Castle. But the rest of them....nothing. My parents did not even sing, but indulged my interests, God bless them.

Kids, that's a different. Music is important to ll of them. But none of them play much. Number 1 Son can play a little guitar but has never been serious about it. And he won't sing. Number 1 Daughter plays some piano and doesn't sing. Number 2 Daughter can play piano, some guitar and flute nd can sing - but doesn't. Maybe when the ads are off, she'll ick it up again. She's the one with some talent. My wife sings with several large choral croups and can play piano, concertina and violin a bit - but doesn't. She shakes her head about me, and allows me to keep playing and singing and buying fun stuff.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:15 PM

Come from a family of six kids. Older 3 brothers all got piano lessons growing up, I missed out. Only one of them still plays piano and only rarely. I'm the only musical one out of my original family.

Had a large family myself, most of the kids got music lessons. None of them still play. I only took up guitar once all the kids moved out on their own. One son did play for a short while. I dream that he'll pick it up again and that we can do something together musically. My wife, seeing the pleasure I've gained from the guitar has learned to play the uke. And she sings along with me from time to time. Otherwise I'm the only musical one.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:16 PM

Both parents musical - mom sung and had perfect pitch. My dad taught himself piano. He was pretty good.

Three of my four kids play strings - my son viola, the other two girls violin. Oldest tried flute but was a bust - she sings Gregorian Chant. The wife works with the kids w/their string lessons because I work and am not a good teacher! Yet, she's the least musical. My son has also taught himself classical piano - you'd think he's been taking lessons for years. My youngest is following in his self-taught piano key-steps!

Funny, but my sister and two brothers... None play an instrument! Sis sang, but not always in key!

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 06-20-2017, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Both of my parents are great singers. My mother performed the lead female role in Oklahoma! once in a local production. My mother also played piano and violin. My youngest sister is a gifted violinist. My two brothers are tone deaf. The older of my two sisters is a great singer. I'm the only one who went the guitar route. I'm a pretty decent singer. I have sung in choirs and ensembles since high school. I'm a poor music reader, though. I quit piano lessons after 1 year. As is often the case, I wish I'd have stuck to it.
2017 Eastman E10 OM
Old 06-20-2017, 02:29 PM

My grandfather was a piano teacher during the Depression. My Dad played cello as a kid but both my parents had beautiful singing voices and were world class whistlers!

Of three kids, I'm really the only one that has stuck with it. Had my first church solo at age 5 and never looked back. Been playing guitar for 43 years this Summer.

My three kids all love music. My oldest son has little time for learning guitar though he does talk about it. My youngest son is a pretty good guitarist and has a good ear but sings like he's being tortured. My daughter has great pitch and a lovely singing voice but no interest at all in learning guitar.

We all have different gifts...
Old 06-20-2017, 02:33 PM

Nobody in my immediate family, not my brother, sister, mom or dad. Nor my mom's family. Nor my wife's family, or her boys. While negative for my dad, however, his mother and sister both played piano, his father played mandolin, and his sister-in-law played cello.

So, I guess I get it from my dad's bloodline, although he never felt inclined, despite his musical family.
'86 Flatiron A5-JR
'15 Pono N-30DC
Old 06-20-2017, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Not at all.

I had a grandfather who played trombone as a young man, but that is about it.

I'm not very musical, either, I just enjoy trying
Old 06-20-2017, 02:51 PM

Biological family: Very musical. Mom was on the faculty at the San Francisco Conservatory of Music when I met her (I was 37). Her brother was a professional guitarist/singer, other brother a professional choir director. Her parents met onstage doing musical theater.

Regular / Adoptive family: Not at all. When my kindergarten teacher called after the first week of school to say, "How long has he been in music lessons?", my folks had zero idea that music was in my blood. My sister was not musical.
• AGF-only discounts
• Free Shipping + Free Returns
• Shoreline Rewards
• Videos
• Guitars from Taylor | Mcilroy | Larrivee
• Stage gear from K&K | Fire-Eye

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...s/namm_x_6.jpg
Old 06-20-2017, 02:54 PM

There was always music in our house. My dad lead singing in church back in the 1930s and early 40s. My mother always sang in the church choir, she is where I think I got most of my talent although I believe it was God given. She would tell me later that while I was just a baby of 2 or 3 years of age, in the nursery, I was constantly singing even though I couldn't talk yet. I also sang in the church choir and when I was around 14 or 15 and my voice began to change, my choir director would not let me switch to bass from tenor. He said he couldn't afford to lose me at tenor, so I stayed there. This is when I developed my wide range. Not even aware of it at the time but it had a profound effect on my vocal range. In high school I used to be able to sing all the Boston and Foreigner stuff in full voice! Can't do that now but still can sing pretty high. I'm 56 now and went to the vocal doctor last year, he said, after an examination, that I had the vocal chords of a 25 year old. I was happy with that.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:57 PM

I have a cousin that is somewhat musical but other than that, no one. My dad is a physics genius though.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:06 PM

None, really.

I picked up guitar at age 17 by chance. A friend wanted to start playing and asked if I wanted to join them. So I did. And I got extremely bitten by it.

Never had a hiatus since then. Sometimes I don't play and practice as much, but I try to play at least a little every day.

Now my wife's family is very musical. She started singing at the age of 2 and playing piano at the age of 4. Her sister played saxophone and sings as well.

I try to be musical and improve my ear, time and groove, but it ain't easy.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

My Dad and my Grandmother were naturally gifted musically...very gifted. My grandmother taught my dad to play guitar although she couldn't actually play an instrument. She was a heck of a singer though. Dad died when I was 12 and I didn't inherit his natural capacity for music so I had to work extra hard to get to where I am. At this point I'm the only musician in the family. My wife took piano lessons but basically didn't progress past playing from the church hymnal. She doesn't understand why she plays the notes, she just reads them from the book and plays. My daughter doesn't have an interest. Maybe one day I'll have musical grandkids.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 06-20-2017, 03:21 PM

My father used to sing Kay Starr songs in the car. That's about it.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:24 PM

Neither of my parents were involved. I started by going over to my friends house. His big brother got me started. Two of my three kids play guitar, drums, or mandolin. My wife is an excellent singer. I wished I could sing like my wife, and play like my youngest son. We have fun when we get together which is usually to play at church.

( @ )===:::

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic