The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-05-2017, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Thanks again everyone. Nothing good comes easy, lol. Time for more woodshedding and finding the sweet spot for a mic will be a challenge.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-06-2017, 11:22 AM

I can only agree with most of what been said by others. Here a recording with my NT5 pair (in ORTF) position, made in my attic. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MDSCWWkXBa8. You may criticize my rendition, but I do believe the sound quality of the guitar is ok.

My lyrics and music on Youtube
Old 06-06-2017, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Default Aloha TB Man - ROOM TREAMENT

Aloha TBMAN,

" It appears the Rodes is the wrong mic for my recording space which is in a corner, facing the walls and the computer."

If you don't treat your space & record into a corner, NO mic will be the right mic for recording acoustic guitar & vocals for your songs. In the space you describe, you can only close-mike. Anything farther out than 6-8" & those pesky early reflections will muddy things up with no separation.

As you already know, the information for DIY treatment is all over this site. Make a few OC 703 broadband absorbers & then re-record the same pieces - in stereo (two mic's). I think you'll be amazed at the improvement.

It's not the mic choice, as much as it's the space, my friend. What is the Biggest Bang for the Buck for improving your recordings, TB? Adequate Room Treatment. Go for clarity & frequency separation, TBMan. Once the space is treated, then you begin your mic upgrade journey (God help you, Ha!).

Good Luck!

alohachris

PS: I know some like it, but I absolutely hated the self-noise, plus the distracting shrill sound of the upper mid's & trebles on the NT5. That's about as un-neutral a sounding mic as is out there. -alohachris-

Last edited by alohachris; 06-06-2017 at 02:37 PM.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
Aloha TBMAN,

" It appears the Rodes is the wrong mic for my recording space which is in a corner, facing the walls and the computer."

If you don't treat your space & record into a corner, NO mic will be the right mic for recording acoustic guitar & vocals for your songs. In the space you describe, you can only close-mike. Anything farther out than 6-8" & those pesky early reflections will muddy things up with no separation.

As you already know, the information for DIY treatment is all over this site. Make a few OC 703 broadband absorbers & then re-record the same pieces - in stereo (two mic's). I think you'll be amazed at the improvement.

It's not the mic choice, as much as it's the space, my friend. What is the Biggest Bang for the Buck for improving your recordings, TB? Adequate Room Treatment. Go for clarity & frequency separation, TBMan. Once the space is treated, then you begin your mic upgrade journey (God help you, Ha!).

Good Luck!

alohachris

PS: I know some like it, but I absolutely hated the self-noise, plus the distracting shrill sound of the upper mid's & trebles on the NT5. That's about as un-neutral a sounding mic as is out there. -alohachris-
Thanks Chris!

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD