The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-30-2017, 09:38 AM

Default Yet another "New to Recording" post

Hi,
I am just now dipping my toe into recording myself and I have to admit it has the potential of either making me a better musician or driving me mad.

After researching the topic extensively, and realizing this is really more of a hobby than anything else, I purchased a Scarlett 2i2 and got to work learning GarageBand via Lynda.com lessons. For a free program, GarageBand is very deep! I know it isn't as comprehensive as Pro Tools but it's a heckuva program!

After learning how to get my guitar's sound into my computer, I've come to a very important realization about my playing: I DON'T PLAY ANYWHERE AS CONSISTENTLY AS I THOUGHT... It's a very humbling experience to hear one's mistakes over and over again.

I honestly believed I was playing very steady rhythm guitar but when listening to a loop of my playing, I found a sizable percentage of it cringe-worthy. Especially when I listen to the drum track at the same time.

I guess there's not much of a point to this post beyond my promise to the universe that I will practice every day to a metronome to try to improve my timing.

If anyone knows of something that helped them get better at playing more consistency, please share.

Thanks for listening,
PJ
Old 05-30-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post
Hi,
I am just now dipping my toe into recording myself and I have to admit it has the potential of either making me a better musician or driving me mad.

After researching the topic extensively, and realizing this is really more of a hobby than anything else, I purchased a Scarlett 2i2 and got to work learning GarageBand via Lynda.com lessons. For a free program, GarageBand is very deep! I know it isn't as comprehensive as Pro Tools but it's a heckuva program!

After learning how to get my guitar's sound into my computer, I've come to a very important realization about my playing: I DON'T PLAY ANYWHERE AS CONSISTENTLY AS I THOUGHT... It's a very humbling experience to hear one's mistakes over and over again.

I honestly believed I was playing very steady rhythm guitar but when listening to a loop of my playing, I found a sizable percentage of it cringe-worthy. Especially when I listen to the drum track at the same time.

I guess there's not much of a point to this post beyond my promise to the universe that I will practice every day to a metronome to try to improve my timing.

If anyone knows of something that helped them get better at playing more consistency, please share.

Thanks for listening,
PJ
You said it... a METRONOME. It works wonders for ANY musician, not just drummers. Even vocalists can benefit from practicing with it.

Of course it is easier and more fun to just jam along with a song on your MP3 player... and this in moderation is very useful. But if you want to develop your internal clock... a metronome is where it's at.

Pick a song, pick the correct tempo, practice. Then increase or decrease the tempo some and force yourself to play that tempo. Over time it will get easier.
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 05-30-2017, 12:00 PM

If timing is the only cringe-worthy thing that you noticed, then you're doing pretty good. Recording oneself is a very good way to learn, if you can handle it!
Old 05-30-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfsteve View Post
If timing is the only cringe-worthy thing that you noticed, then you're doing pretty good. Recording oneself is a very good way to learn, if you can handle it!
Yeah, totally. Most people tell me I have a good voice. But when I listen to a recording... it's cringe city. Yuck. Recordings just pick up ALL the imperfections. I could be wrong, but I think most musicians get their voices photoshopped more often than models do.
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 05-30-2017, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Good on you for taking these first steps!

A metronome is definitely a great way to improve your practice. If you get bored with the simple click you can always throw some drum loops together in GarageBand and practice to those. I prefer doing that a lot of the time as it teaches you a bit more about playing with different types of feels - behind the beat, ahead of the beat - than a simple metronome which can teach you to play on the beat consistently but can also force your playing to be more square that it could be. YMMV of course.

Outside of that, playing with other people for me is the best way to improve - especially people who play better than I do!

-Mike
Old 05-30-2017, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Most erratic timing playing a tune comes from either playing something you have not adequately memorized and/or something you are having technique issues with. Learn pieces within your current skill level stone cold and most timing issues will disappear.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 05-30-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Most erratic timing playing a tune comes from either playing something you have not adequately memorized and/or something you are having technique issues with. Learn pieces within your current skill level stone cold and most timing issues will disappear.
rick-slo,
That certainly makes sense as I've only recorded part of a song I'm writing. The cringe worthy part is a new track with strummed chords whereas the finger picked part is much better (and in time)...

Well, I'm still dedicated to practicing with a metronome!

Thanks again,
PJ

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD