The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-15-2017, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

For Red Label and dkstott, what to you are the main differences between the C-12 and the GK Pro? I'm interested in getting a nylon and will probably have to buy without trying (so will probably use Sweetwater for the excellent return policy) since I can't find any decent classical guitars locally at the music shops. I don't think I want a crossover. If you are going to dip your toe in this water, get a proper tool is my opinion.

The C-12 sounds appealing to me based on the demo videos I have heard of it so far. But the GK Pro is a bit cheaper and has the convenience of a cutaway and it is also ready for plugged in playing.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 05-15-2017, 12:45 PM

Consider a La Patrie nylon. I have their Collection model and have been very happy with it. It does have the 2" nut, but it is very comfortable. 1 11/16" is usually my max for a guitar and I have had no problems with the wider nut.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
For Red Label and dkstott, what to you are the main differences between the C-12 and the GK Pro? I'm interested in getting a nylon and will probably have to buy without trying (so will probably use Sweetwater for the excellent return policy) since I can't find any decent classical guitars locally at the music shops. I don't think I want a crossover. If you are going to dip your toe in this water, get a proper tool is my opinion.

The C-12 sounds appealing to me based on the demo videos I have heard of it so far. But the GK Pro is a bit cheaper and has the convenience of a cutaway and it is also ready for plugged in playing.
Having owned a C12 SP/IN and four GK Pros (2 blancas and 2 negras), my input is that if you're looking to perform classical repetoire in a live setting without amplification... then the C12 is definitely the way to go. If you're looking to play flamenco, jazz, new age, etc at home or live (amplified or unamplified), then the GK Pro may be your preference. Both the C12 and GK Pro models are from Cordoba's Chinese "Luthier" series. Build quality seemed the same. Neck feel was the same to my hands. The C12 has a raised fingerboard and a lattice-braced top. The feel was a bit stiffer to my hands, but that's likely because I was using D'Addario Pro Arte hard tension strings and the guitar was set-up with a higher action (as most classicals are). Whereas the GK Pro can be setup for easier playability and comfort... at least in my personal experience with what I owned. The GK Pro has a traditional fan-braced top. Both guitar could produce bolt tones with volume, but the C12 was bolder and louder than the GK Pros (unplugged).

So if you're looking for a general purpose nylon string guitar to play and aren't looking for a guitar that appears like a traditional classical, the GK Pros are hard to beat in my opinion. I've owned many nylon strung guitars over the years -- traditional classicals, crossovers, and flamencos. And the GK Pros are my favorite ones that I've ever had. I love them and it's why I've owned several and why my interest in other nylons has really dwindled as of late.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:43 PM

Red Label, have you ever tried a Camps Primera? If so, how does it compare to the GK Pro?

I actually don't want to play flamenco so much (maybe one day), but I'd like a general purpose nylon for folk, blues, John Fahey stuff. I don't want high action, so flamenco guitars seem to be the way to go.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 05-16-2017, 12:56 PM

Tendonitis caused me to want a nylon string guitar. I tried several but just wasn't satisfied. Riverwolf mentioned a C/L listing for a Tacoma. Wade Hampton strongly suggested I go check I out. The tendonitis is with me right now, so the Tacoma is being appreciated.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:09 PM

I have a Primera and have played it next to a Cordoba GK Pro. Camps all the way. More volume, more body, more clarity and consistency of note quality up the neck, more punch (very flamenco be warned), better factory setup, lighter build and better neck shape. The neck is thicker like a full classical neck but has a slightly flattened radius on the back which thins it slightly. But not nearly as thin as the Cordoba. Build and wood quality equal or better. Opinions will vary.

hunter
Old 05-16-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post
I have a Primera and have played it next to a Cordoba GK Pro. Camps all the way. More volume, more body, more clarity and consistency of note quality up the neck, more punch (very flamenco be warned), better factory setup, lighter build and better neck shape. The neck is thicker like a full classical neck but has a slightly flattened radius on the back which thins it slightly. But not nearly as thin as the Cordoba. Build and wood quality equal or better. Opinions will vary.

hunter
Thanks for help. As I live in Catalunya, where they are made, I have great access to them. I want to go back this weekend to try them again. My main worries are the neck profile and the flat fretboard. But when I tried the Primera Negra A this week, I was very impressed with the sound. I play quite "dirty" not at all classical, so the flamenco punch and fret buzz are welcome.

I think I could get used to a flat fret board, but I thumb wrap a lot (especially with blues and Fahey stuff). They told me that Camps have the thinnest neck available of any brand they know (they don't know Cordoba much around here).

I already have a Camps crossover and what I have been very impressed with is the care and quality control. Perfect frets (not heavily leveled and so have a great curvature to them. Great set up and action. My flamenco playing friend says they have a great reputation for being very ergonomic.

Anyway, looking forward to this weekend! If I get it, it'll be a journey from a 43mm acoustic, to a 44.5mm acoustic, to a 48mm crossover, to a full flamenca 52mm nut.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post
Anyway, looking forward to this weekend! If I get it, it'll be a journey from a 43mm acoustic, to a 44.5mm acoustic, to a 48mm crossover, to a full flamenca 52mm nut.
Post up another video once you're used to the new guitar. Please!!!!!!
Old 05-16-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post
Thanks for help. As I live in Catalunya, where they are made, I have great access to them. I want to go back this weekend to try them again.
Good luck. I bought mine at Casa Luthier. A young gentleman named Jordi was very helpful. With his assistance, I added a nice cibeles case with backpack straps at very reasonable price. Hauled that guitar all over Spain and Portugal and western Europe in that case.

I had informed them in advance I would be visiting with a particular interest in a Primera, and whether by coincidence or plan, they were unboxing a shipment that contained a few Primera blancas. I was able to test and pick among them. In the end, they were consistent enough that I might have picked a different one the next day but I got one I liked. I was specifically interested in cypress and didn't bother to seriously try a rosewood model.

As you are probably aware, the build philosophy on the Primera is the same as the Primera A but the A employs cosmetically premium woods and carries a premium price tag accordingly. I was watching my budget so the regular model was more than sufficient.

Good luck with shopping.

hunter
Old 05-16-2017, 11:39 PM

I live just 25mins walking from Casa Luthier, it really is a spectacular shop. Did the young lad have curly hair? He has been helping me.

Now, you mention that the Primera A has cosmetically better wood. So in terms of sound there's not much difference?

I will be looking to compare the Primera Negra A with the Primera Negra.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:01 AM

I think the Primera A also is reported to have lighter top construction too so you should get an audible improvement from that. Budget permitting, definitely worth checking the A out.

hunter
Old 05-17-2017, 06:06 AM

If you want the full classical sound, then the C12 is the way to go. The C12 has lattice bracing, raised fretboard and fancier Rosette.

But having said that, I think the C9 is a much better value for your money over the C12. My wallet tells me that the raised fretboard & lattice bracing in the C12 doesn't justify the difference in pricing between the C9 ($600) and the C12 ($1,300)

FWIW.. The C10 is the same as the C9, except that the C9 has mahogany sides and back, whereas the C10 has rosewood sides and back.

It comes down to your preference in wood on the C9 vs C10 selection.

I used to own a C10 crossover that sounded great. But my left hand didn't like the 1 7/8 width nut with fatter nylon strings. Yes, I probably could have modified things to improve the feel, but 1 7/8 with nylon is just not my preference.

I had also owned a GK Studio with Cypress sides and backs.. Awesome guitar... But I wanted a little bit more warmth.. So I sold it to buy my GK Pro Negra with rosewood sides and back.

The GK Pro Negra has been my everyday guitar for almost 2 years now. It is my everyday guitar. It has the snap of flamenco when you want it and can handle a wide range of music. It's got enough volume to hold its own at a weekly guitar gatherings that I attend.

I've just added a barely used 2015 Cordoba Solista to my "collection". It gives me the softer classical sound for a few songs that work better on it.

Hope that helps!!

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post

2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 05-21-2017, 08:35 PM

Do a Cordoba C5ce,play one and get it over with. I did.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:31 AM
Guest 2143

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
If you want the full classical sound, then the C12 is the way to go. The C12 has lattice bracing, raised fretboard and fancier Rosette.

But having said that, I think the C9 is a much better value for your money over the C12. My wallet tells me that the raised fretboard & lattice bracing in the C12 doesn't justify the difference in pricing between the C9 ($600) and the C12 ($1,300)

FWIW.. The C10 is the same as the C9, except that the C9 has mahogany sides and back, whereas the C10 has rosewood sides and back.

It comes down to your preference in wood on the C9 vs C10 selection.

I used to own a C10 crossover that sounded great. But my left hand didn't like the 1 7/8 width nut with fatter nylon strings. Yes, I probably could have modified things to improve the feel, but 1 7/8 with nylon is just not my preference.

I had also owned a GK Studio with Cypress sides and backs.. Awesome guitar... But I wanted a little bit more warmth.. So I sold it to buy my GK Pro Negra with rosewood sides and back.

The GK Pro Negra has been my everyday guitar for almost 2 years now. It is my everyday guitar. It has the snap of flamenco when you want it and can handle a wide range of music. It's got enough volume to hold its own at a weekly guitar gatherings that I attend.

I've just added a barely used 2015 Cordoba Solista to my "collection". It gives me the softer classical sound for a few songs that work better on it.

Hope that helps!!

Dave
The Cordoba C9 sells new for $859, not $600.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:40 AM

I have just transitioned from steel strings to Spanish guitars.

For me, it had to be a flamenco guitar and not a classical. This is due to the action of the strings. My understanding is:
  • Classical guitars are built to have high action, it's not just a high saddle.
  • Flamencas are built to have low action and they are built to have a low bridge, low saddle and therefore a low break angle over the saddle so that the strings feel nice and flexible.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical