The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-02-2017, 01:50 PM

Default How to record my music

What is the fastest and cheapest way to record myself with guitar and vocals. I have a good sound system, a Macbook Pro, nice guitars, mics, etc. I have a handheld Tascam digital recorder which has never been used. But how to get from that to a CD or some vehicle to share with others. Appreciate any help on this.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 05-02-2017, 05:14 PM

Nice guitar collection!

In general, there should be a cable that connects your TASCAM to a computer.

You should be able to set up recording format on the TASCAM. If WAV is one of them, set up for that format. Record your song then connect the USB cable to your computer and import the WAV file.

Your computer may have a program like ROXIO that allows you to insert a blank CD and "burn" WAV files.

This is a very general overview of how to do it. Where are you located? Maybe one of us is near enough to lend a hand in person. The TASCAM user manual should have a section on how to do this.

Once again, nice guitar collection!!
Old 05-02-2017, 07:03 PM

Thanks for the comments on the guitar collection. I haven't yet added my brand new Emerald X20 Custom Woody.
About recording, sounds simple and when I try it out I will know. When I connect the Tascam to my Macbook Pro, do you know if my computer will read the connection. If so, where might it take me. I have Garage Band but I don't know if its any help at all. Just a newby here. Thanks for the help.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 05-02-2017, 07:41 PM

This probably isn't what you want, but....

The short answer is this:

1) You need an A/D interface (they range from the very simple to the very complex; here's a two channel one that I used for a while)

2) You need a DAW. GarageBand. Reaper. Logic. ProTools. Whatever.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:47 PM

I have a Zoom handheld and a PC. Your Mac and TASCAM should act similarly.

Plug the TASCAM USB cable into the Mac and then power up the TASCAM. For me, the Zoom appears in my COMPUTER window as a device/folder. Not sure how the Mac does this, but your TASCAM should appear where you can open and see the WAV files.

I create a folder on my PC. I can then use my PC to drag the WAV files from the Zoom into the folder. If I double click the WAV file, it will play in the default player.

Then, insert a blank CD in the Mac. I think Macs are more intuitive, so it may launch burner software automatically when it senses the CD. Click the WAV files you want to burn to the CD.

You may be able to use Garage Band, but that's a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) that you could use to record directly.

You can also record music on the TASCAM in mp3 format if you have a player that can play them. File size for mp3's is much less than WAV files if that's a concern.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
What is the fastest and cheapest way to record myself with guitar and vocals. I have a good sound system, a Macbook Pro, nice guitars, mics, etc. I have a handheld Tascam digital recorder which has never been used. But how to get from that to a CD or some vehicle to share with others. Appreciate any help on this.
Use what you have, at least at first. Record with the Tuscan, download the recorded files to you Mac (likely via a USB cable), use GarageBand to pull up the recording and play with all the features (learning curve here).

Listen. Well, you'll at least need a decent set of headphones or, better yet, a pair of nearfield monitors and a table to place them on. You can connect either through the Mac's analog sound output jack.

If you get into recording, you'll have plenty of time to research how you can upgrade from that basic setup and to get your wallet out to spend bucko bucks to get there.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:05 PM

iPad or iPhone, garage band and iRig condenser mic.
You can get professional level recordings. My GarageBand recordings sound way better than recordings made in a professional studio with hired hand on 16 track desk ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD