The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-25-2017, 03:28 PM

Thumbs up Quality Guitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeplaysblues View Post
I have seen quite a few listings for Breedlove guitars recently and was interested in general opinions of their range.

I owned one of their higher end guitars in 2009 that I bought sight unseen based on reviews. (I know my fault). I ended up selling it as I couldn't warm to the tone nor the neck and setup.

A friend bought one of their Korean(I think) models at about the same time and its her go to performing guitar; even though she owns a number of Martins and a Taylor.

So two very different experiences of the make

How do you feel about them?
All the Breedlove guitars from China or Korea or Bend must be inspected and stamped by Breedlove. The guitars are fantastic values for the money and sound second to none! Discovering Breedlove was the best thing that ever happened to my acoustic pilgrimage.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:16 PM

I had a custom shop concert with an LR Baggs system (dual source) installed that I thought at the time was one of the best buys I ever made. No complaints. Got out of steel string acoustics so off it went to another player.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:18 PM

Default How about the 12 strings

I find the Breedlove difficult to find around me. I would like to play some of the 12 strings. Anyone have a thought there? Likes them you do? Likes them not?

-- if you are wondering if a thread is dead just check to see if Raebrek was the last person to post. That is usually a pretty good sign. --

Raebrek!!!
Old 06-26-2017, 02:16 AM

Always been a big Breedlove fan since I got my first one in 1998 (which I still have). Never played the foreign-made ones but the American-made ones were excellent and the best bang for your buck guitars IMO. Haven't played the newer ones though (after they were bought out by the Hippies outfit) so can only attest to those with the "B" on the headstock (below the top tuning peg).
Buscarino Starlight nylon, Martin 000C-RGTE, Godin nylon duet ambiance, Breedlove Bossa Nova, cedar/EIR, Breedlove SC-20, cedar/walnut, Ovation Nylon LX1773, CA Cargo, CA GX, Larrivee 00-03, sitka/hog
Old 06-26-2017, 03:35 AM

I have a Breedlove American C25 SME....pleasing to the eye and yes I love the Bridgepons and the headstock. I got this thing for under a grand and it gives my triple that price Taylor 812 CE a tremendous run for its money. Tone is great, playability to die for.

Great guitar I will not sell

Breedlove American C25 SME--Neumann KMS 105---Fishman Loudbox Performer---KORG PA 4X--Tascam DP 24
God, My Guitar, & Me
Old 06-27-2017, 12:37 PM

I have a Breedlove Premiere Auditorium in Rosewood and freakin' love it.

To my ears, it blows away comparable Taylors that cost (at least) $300-400 more on the street, particularly because of how dynamic it is: the different tones you can get out of the thing by playing lightly or by really digging in are impressive.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:58 PM

I would consider buying an American made Breedlove. I nearly bought an Oregon Concert late last year. Crystal clear tone and a nice ring without being boomy. I love their use of alternate woods and modern designs. I liked the bridge and designs on their older focus and similar range models.

I've only owned imports. A Korean Atlas Series dread that seems like it's in between a dread and a jumbo in both size and shape. Great guitar. High quality build, great tone. More boomy than I want these days. But preferences change over time.

I bought a lower end Discovery from a pawn shop to clean up and flip. It was a great guitar, but I didn't need it and sold it for a profit. A third one that I bought on Craigslist was a cedar top 000 sized body. It was made to look like an traditional Martin. I don't remember the name of the series or model. It was a dog. I know how to set up guitars and I tried everything. It sounded awful. It don't know what went wrong. It was not merely intonation. I won't even go near a cedar top guitar. It's irrational, but I won't touch one.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

I played one of their newer "Concerto" models (this one was all mahogany) and was fairly impressed. Would have rather tried the all Myrtlewood or the Sitka/EIR model but neither was available. If I was in the market for a small jumbo or an oversized OM I might have pursued one. Looked to be good build quality...pretty light weight. Wasn't crazy about the .13's it was strung with but overall a nice sounding guitar. Still, I don't think it's capable of doing "battle" with a good dread. Like most cinched waist SJ's or oversized OM's it was more balanced but just didn't have the power of a dread.
That being said I've owned several Breedlove's and have always liked the brand. Especially the old American Series.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 06-27-2017, 08:32 PM

My 2014 Breedlove Studio 12-string feels great to play and I love the sound. It's a Korean model but the build quality seems excellent, as do the design and tone-wood quality. The neck is slick, the nut width makes it easy for me to play in conjunction with a 6-string, and the sustain is killer. And the grand auditorium body with the cutaway gives a sweet, warm sound without boomy-ness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gone and not forgotten:
Gibson LG1 (1957 model)
Norman B15 12-string (2003 model)
Old 06-28-2017, 08:40 PM

Would usually consider myself as a Taylor guy, but have always wanted to own a US-made Breedlove. Unlike most folks on AGF, I do like the asymetrical headstock and I think it goes beautifully with a cutaway body.

Had a Korean-made Atlas AC25/SM for a period. Thought it was sweet-sounding but a very soft guitar acoustically and eventually sold it. Didn't really buy into the bridge truss thingy, thought it added weight to the top and actually dampened vibrations. YMMV.

Recently managed to snap up an Oregon Concert 25th Annv. Hoo boy, is this thing sweet... and loud! Was told by Anne at Breedlove that the Oregon series used a different bracing pattern and eschewed the bridge truss. This is definitely a fingerstylist's guitar with clean and crisp-sounding notes, very balanced across the register. In comparison, my Taylor seems to take better to strumming and its high notes ring out with more sustain.

Now if I can only convince my wife to keep both...
'15 Fender AmStd Stratocaster SB

Last edited by Cisraeler; 06-29-2017 at 12:13 AM.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:43 AM

I've never owned one, but have played a number, and have also worked on several that have come through my shop. I've always been impressed at the quality of workmanship. I'm not a fan of the Bridge Doctor. Had a Breedlove in my shop a few months ago that really sounded dead. The owner was quite disappointed in it, and was wondering what could be done to brighten it up....strings... different saddle? I loosened the Bridge Doctor a bit, and the guitar came alive. The owner thinks I'm some sort of genius!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion