The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-28-2017, 07:43 PM

If you want to go back far enough I snagged a 1930s Gibson L-00 for $225. Picked up a National Style O for about the same money.

Sticking within the last 15 or so years I would say my best score was a late 1930s Regal jumbo 12 string. Rare as it gets. The guitar was found sticking out of a trash can and my total investment in it came to just under $500. Next best deal would be a 1956 Epiphone FT-79. It had been sitting unloved and unwanted in a music store for well over a year. I did not really want it either but the store owner kept telling me to take it home and live with it for a bit. When he dropped the price to $400 I could not refuse and it never went back to the shop. Interestingly, over the years I have really warmed up to this guitar to the point I have pulled the plug on a couple of deals to sell it for quite a bit more than I paid for it.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:16 PM

i had a friend year ago who did antique lighting and house fixtures for really rich people. he hunted high and low for stuff but when he found a musical instrument he brought them to me. i stopped by the store one day. he had a martin d 28 1954. 18 cracks, top had been caved in. he knew it would take a lot. he said 400 bucks and i couldn't give it to him fast enough.

i took it to ed myroniuk a genius repair man at the time in vancouver, he saved the top!! did his magic with cracks neck set etc. for 1000. (this was the early ninties.) came out one of the best sounding guitars i have ever heard , and i am nit a martin guy(i like the good ones but i like a lit of other guitars better), but this one was special. when i was broke and moving across the country i sold it for 4000 bucks. i would regred that but a week after i sold it my house burnt down and i kept it in the back room and i didn;t rescue anything from the back room. so when your standing outside with what you saved its good to have 6 grand in your pocket---i sold a harp the same day for 2000.

i have found a few other great deals but that was one great guitar.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
Early 1970's when I was young, a guy gave me a Gibson B-25. A few years later, probably 1976, another fellow gave me his beloved Gibson J-50. Different times, those were . . .
Yeh, they now charge for guitars.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:56 PM

8 years ago aprox 1951 Martin O-15, $200 from an antiquing coworker who bought it at an estate tag sale for $20.

1 year ago 1959 Gibson J50 found in a local antique mall with mint logo case for $59. More to come...
Old 06-28-2017, 11:12 PM

It would either be my first guitar or my last one.

The first was an S & P Cedar 6 in very good condition for $125.00 CDN.
The last was an Alvarez Masterworks MD-60 in excellent condition for $300.00 CDN.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looburst View Post
Best deal I ever got was for a 2015 Farida OT22, with a free Guardian hardshell case, couple sets of D'Addario J16 strings and winder for $379! The guitar is amazing tho.
One of the Elderly instrument Specials? Those are great guitars, been debating on getting gone of the wide neck (1 3/4" Nut) models they have out now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion