The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-03-2017, 11:24 AM

Default Mandolin Re-Stringing....NOT Fun

Been a looooong time since I re-strung a mandolin. Since I need the practice, I pulled out an old Sigma that needed a change badly. Had just received some new sets of D'Addario J74's in PB and bought some J67 Nickel wound to try.

Putting the J67's on, all went pretty well. I used a slight revision of the Taylor method. G 's and D's went on with too much complaint. High E pair was trickier due to the very small diameter but managed to get them on. Last pair were the A's. All going well until the tension caught on the first one and the loop end let go. Loop just pulled out of the securing wraps. Bummer, but I had another set I could pirate an A from, so I went ahead with the second A. Loop on that one let go as well. Took both A's from another set and proceeded to put them on. No loop failure on those so finally got the job done.

Do like the sound of the nickel wound but it was a pain to get there.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:56 PM

I've twisted new loops in mando and fiddle strings several times. I don't know the names of the "methods" but I've been at this a few decades. Change one course at a time, low to high. Place the loop on the hook, keep some tension on the string then hold it in place with one hand, wrap around the post with the other (3 wraps for wound strings, 4 to 5 for plain). Poke the wild end through the post hole and pull snug. A couple turns on the tuner and you're done. Snip off the wild end. This ain't rocket surgery. Same thing for guitars.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

I take off all the strings on a change and clean the fretboard and such. I've got used to using the piece of masking tape over the tailpiece to keep any string from popping off, and over the last year adore sticking a capo around the 2nd or 3rd fret-put a string on, place it under the capo with a little pulled tension, and there you go-it will stay put, you wind on the tuner, snug it a tad, there you go. next string.

d
Old 06-08-2017, 06:21 PM

I just bend the loops a little with a pair of pliers.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:50 AM

Yes, using a capo makes it a tad easier. I have a Collings MT2, which has small posts instead of those teeth, so it's even more prone for the loop for pop off at the wrong time. I could still use a third hand, but the capo helps.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:45 AM

Remove 1 side at a time; that lets you clean the peghead and fretboard easily while keeping tension on the neck and bridge to minimize the possibility of anything moving.
Re-string 1 pair at a time, using capo.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:18 PM

Try this next time you change your mando strings...

Old 06-09-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 815C View Post
Try this next time you change your mando strings...

I pretty much solved it for me by putting a small piece of masking tape on the pin to hold the loop until its up to tension.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments