The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-06-2017, 03:48 PM

Default Mandolin Restringing Cheat

I'd forgotten what a PITA restring mandolin can be.

For years, I've used the Taylor method on guitars. Pre-measure, cut, wrap, done. Very reliable and repeatable system.

Problem with mandolin is the loop end strings fitting to pins on the tailpiece. As you futz around at the headstock end, the loops invariably come off the pins. Unlike a pin bridge guitar, you have to deal with both ends of the string at the same time.

Most methods indicate attach the loop, pull the string through the post, throw a lock wrap on and wind. I guess this works Ok as I see a lot of mandolins with one or not even one full wrap on the post. I've always felt it was the wraps on the post that give the stability. But, this does deal with the loop ends pretty well.

Got all sorts of crazy ideas for a tailpiece with a locking mechanism for the loops but I'm not a machinist so that's out.

Found the solution in masking tape. Put the loop on the pin, put a small piece of masking tape over the end of the pin to hold the loop in place, measure two tuner gaps of slack, cut string, insert end in to post, apply a "Z" bend at the post, wind to tension with no loop slip.

I'm sure this isn't an original idea but no one makes any note of it in any of the stringing methods I've seen. I do like that you end up with 3-5 tight wraps around the post and the string feeds back to the nut from a lower angle.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:58 PM

I've never had the loops come off the tailpiece tabs. For whatever reason a restring is about a 15 minute job for me, incuding cleaning off the fretboard and soundboard area. I change one course of strings at a time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments