The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 05-28-2017, 12:54 AM

Default Saw Jake Shimabukuro last night

Last night I had the pleasure seeing Jake for the third time. He played a lot of prices from the Nashville Sessions cd, as well as some of his older stuff. Mind blowing fantastic musician, oozes joy and enthusiasm for music and is such a warm, gracious human being. He had quite a line of kids who had brought their ukeleles to be signed after the show. I took my almost-12 y/o niece and she was pretty impressed. As we were leaving she said, "I didn't know you could do that on a ukelele," which was pretty much my reaction the first time I heard him. If you've never seen him and you get a chance, I highly recommend it. Can't imagine anyone being disappointed.

Guitar will always be my first love, but today I got out my uke and worked on a tab of his arrangement of Bohemian Rhapsody for a while. Challenging, but doable, I think, with time.

2015 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
early 80's Ovation Ultra 1517
2011 Seagull Entourage Rustic
2011 Taylor Limited NS214ce
2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa e
2018 Loar LH 301t
1998 Breedlove Fall Limited # 10 of 20 Redwood/Walnut
Old 06-04-2017, 01:09 AM
Guest 1478

I saw him over Easter at Bluesfest and yes, he is certainly a master at his chosen instrument. Very uplifting & inspiring.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanray1113 View Post
Last night I had the pleasure seeing Jake for the third time...today I got out my uke and worked on a tab of his arrangement of Bohemian Rhapsody for a while. Challenging, but doable, I think, with time.
You're obviously planning to live a lot longer than I am...

FWIW my wife and I joined a uke group at the local community center a couple months ago - turned her on to Jake S. (via YouTube) and she had the same reaction as your niece; he's on our must-see list if he ever shows up in these parts...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments