The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-28-2015, 09:26 AM

Default Safe to use John Pearse new medium on Taylor 812 12-fret?

Hi all - I'm wondering if anyone has any insight on this. I have the Elixir HD Light strings (.13 - .53). Would it be safe for the guitar to us the John Pearse New Medium (.13 - .55)? I'm worried about getting too much tension on there if the Grand Concert body is not designed for a proper set of mediums.

Anybody have any experience with this?
Old 04-28-2015, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Default Safe to use John Pearse new medium on Taylor 812 12-fret?

I believe string tension should be fine.

I just tried my first set of JP mediums on my 2014 816ce. I may be one of few, but these did not work for me on this guitar. Lost a lot of the "chime" the 816 had and seemed to go very dead pretty quickly. I like the strings. Just not for my 816. YMMV.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:01 PM

Those strings will be just fine on that guitar. The John Pearse New Mediums have less tension than regular medium gauge strings. You could also use regular medium gauge strings, as well, but the new mediums might be the best set for you.

Another option to experiment with are bluegrass gauge strings, which have medium basses and light gauge trebles. I've got those on a couple of my guitars.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 04-28-2015, 12:42 PM

Thanks guys. I don't dislike the Elixir HD Lights on the 812, but I've heard so many good things about the JP strings that I wanted to give them a try. I like the feel of the thicker treble strings, that's why I wanted to go with the new mediums instead of lights.

I also have a Taylor 816 and was using the HD Lights on that as well. I just changed to DR Sunbeams (lights) on that to see if I could give it a little more brightness, but don't like them at all. I may end up trying the JP new mediums on that as well.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:56 PM

New Mediums should be fine. In fact, their tension is not too different from the HD Lights that came from the factory on your guitar. So, no worries.

And, as a long-ago JP convert myself, I can promise you're going to love the results.

John
• AGF-only discounts
Free Shipping + Free Returns
Shoreline Rewards
Videos
• Guitars from Taylor | Mcilroy | Larrivee
• Stage gear from K&K | Fire-Eye

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...s/namm_x_6.jpg
Old 04-28-2015, 04:32 PM

Thanks John. The confirmation is much appreciated. By the way, I really like your videos and hope I can make it down to your store some day soon. I'm in Denver.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion