The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-22-2009, 04:56 PM

Question Can You Play An Electric Like An Acoustic

Can You Play An Electric Like An Acoustic?

I'm not saying get an acoustic sound out of an electric, but just play it like an acoustic with a nice chorus'y clean sound. Like strumming patterns, flat picking, finger style etc...
for example.

Like This

Or Like This

Or Like This

Does anyone do this?

Last edited by bobc; 05-22-2009 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:10 PM

You probably could with your T5
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-22-2009, 05:19 PM
Guest 720

That's exactly how I play my T5. Of course, I was never an electric player, so couldn't play like an electric player if I wanted. I do as much finger style on my T5 as anything else, and the rest of the time strumming. But I really like all the different tones I can get out of it. Makes it fun for me.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:43 PM

Sorry, I forgot to change my signature. I have a Gibson Les Paul Standard Traditional Pro.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:02 PM

I think in some ways similar but in many ways very different. Long time electric lead players tell me that it's much different playing the 2. I definitely play rhythm differently on an electric and that's just for starters.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:14 PM

Ut oh... T5 is gone...now what?? You like the Casio?? I had one awhile when looking for a good mono piano for my Bose.
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-22-2009, 06:31 PM

This question sometimes get controversial. I know one guy who insist that if you set up your acoustics right that you play exactly the same. Others say that with electric you need a lighter touch and you don't want those strings ringing as when you play open chords.

Some see the acoustic and electric as different instruments. Just as some see steel and nylon strings as different instruments. Is there an ultimate right or wrong or just artistic choice?
Old 05-22-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Ut oh... T5 is gone...now what?? You like the Casio?? I had one awhile when looking for a good mono piano for my Bose.
I had to return it cause the neck was cracked. They did not have another one so I got the Les Paul.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:01 PM

I'll pick B. Artist choice.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:10 PM
.tom the übergeek

Not entirely but....kinda. I modify my technique when playing electric. Lots more palm muting and other stuff to make my playing more percussive.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:17 PM

I just posted 3 quick samples in the original post so you can hear what I'm talking about.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:34 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Yes you can. Much depends on the sounds you create to play in this style. I will use a clean or chorused sound and fingerpick the electric in some cases. Sometimes I'll strum a clean sound as well. A pretty good foundational song to study is the Youngblood's song "Get Together." There are the arpeggiation and strummed fill accents in the verses followed by the strummed accompaniment in the verses. If I'm not wrong, it was all done on a Gibson ES-335.

Stacking acoustic strumming or fingerstyle with the electric techniques mentioned above is the basis for the Doobie Brothers early sound.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-23-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
I'll pick B. Artist choice.
By B, do you mean the Les Paul?
Old 05-27-2009, 07:11 AM

The difference is in the dynamics. There is a certain "feel" and "touch" to an acoustic or even a T5 with acoustic tone. I find it much more difficult to get the dynamics out of an electric which is totally amp dependent. But the real answer is yes. Listen to people like Tuck Andress (Yes, I know it is a Gibson L5 hollow-body)or even Doyle Dykes when he plays the T5. With a Les Paul, you have a big chunk of wood there. With the humbuckers, a clean amp, maybe a bit of chorus and some delay, you can do some very nice work to accompany your vocals or a vocalist. It just requires a different touch. Another great piece that comes to mind is Sting's version of Message in a Bottle done solo on a Strat (I think it was a Live AID concert). Very nice guitar work for a solo performer and no acoustic in sight.
davidc
Old 05-27-2009, 08:19 AM
.tom the übergeek

That awesome Sting performance is from the Secret Policemen's Other Ball.

There are many players who do WONDERFUL things with dynamics on solidbody guitars. The truth is, the dynamics just manifest themselves differently from player to player, guitar to guitar, amp to amp and setting to setting. The pallate available to you is astounding (actually very confusing). I have been looking for a second amp for a few months now. I am in anaysis paralysis. Every amp that I admire based on someone else's tone just does not suit me. I have found some awesome candidates in highly unlikely candidates. All that to say, I have experienced first hand what a really dynamic amp will do for you. With a nice Strat and something like a Matchless Lightning, you can be crazy dynamic to the point where it will show all the flaws in your right hand technique.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification