The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 12-22-2009, 02:12 PM

Default My latest songwriting effort

Not me playing, and not guitar - plus this isn't the best way to capture a recording, especially when you have three schnauzers in the house. But I'd be interested in what you all think of the song (this shortened version, at least).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnEyCdDOK-Q
Old 12-22-2009, 04:21 PM

Hi, I like the vocals and the music in general. Nice melody. The lyrics don't speak to me that much, cause I am an atheist.

Do you only write secular music? My respect for your musical abilities!

Roland Kalus

https://rolandkalus.bandcamp.com/alb...le-autumn-blue
Mcilroy A30
Stevens 000-P
Yairi OM
Martin Duwe OM 12fret Cut
Stevens OM-P
Martin Duwe Crossover

AER Amps and PA-Systems
Old 12-22-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepnback View Post
Hi, I like the vocals and the music in general. Nice melody. The lyrics don't speak to me that much, cause I am an atheist.

Do you only write secular music? My respect for your musical abilities!
Thanks! That's not me singing and playing, though, it's our worship leader. Actually, secular music is non-religious, and yes, I write both. But I play in a praise band, so most of what I write is contemporary Christian or worship music. The guy singing just cut a CD, and I have another piece on that.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:48 PM

Brian, I think it is nicely done. The lyrics are good and the lyrics, melody & style makes a good "marriage". I'd like to hear the full version so whenever it's done, please PM me!

I also write P&W songs. Yours is a good & timely song.

Gary
Old 12-22-2009, 10:40 PM
Charter Member

Being a non-athiest, I liked it.

The performance was in a lonely reflective type style. Much of Christmas music is like that. It could work well also with some harmony and a little uplifting approach in parts. Sometimes you add poigninacy by including contrasting emotions. . . . , but I'm just rambling.

PS - I played it again, and there are some easy juicy harmony possibilities that would flesh out and strengthen the chorus very nicely.

Last edited by Marshall; 12-22-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:55 AM

Good song...
Old 12-23-2009, 12:25 PM

Thanks, all. Marshall, you're absolutely correct. Lance did it in a very simple style. And the part that was cut out speaks to the cross and the resurrection - they wanted to drop that part due to the sermon theme, but IMO you can't separate the Christmas story from the Easter story - the latter is the reason, after all, that "love came down" to begin with. You're also right about the harmonies. Our band did this song a week earlier at another church, and the harmonies were great. I have a video of that, and I'll be posting it on youtube later - tried last night but it crashed.

Gary, I'll send you a pm. I have an mp3 of me doing the demo (rough) for Lance, just on my acoustic guitar.

If anyone's interested (and I hope I'm not violating any rules by posting this), Lance's CD, Beyond the Endless, is available at The Well Bookstore at our church - http://thewell.cor.org/. I'd call them to order it; online orders all ship UPS, whereas if you call they'll ship USPS, which is considerably cheaper. The song I wrote on that one is called Highest Holy One. The CD was produced by Don Harris, for those familiar with his work (Don has produced and played with Paul Baloche, Michael Gungor and The Desperation Band, among others).
Old 12-23-2009, 01:31 PM

I like it. Would love for my P & W band to do this one!
Old 12-23-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hague View Post

Gary, I'll send you a pm. I have an mp3 of me doing the demo (rough) for Lance, just on my acoustic guitar.
Thanks, Brian. Looking forward to it! I think my email address is in my profile.

I'm also working on an acoustic number, inspired by a recent acquisition of a Yamaha FG735S. If I sent you a copy, would you give me your opinion of it?

Gary
Old 12-23-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary1953 View Post
Thanks, Brian. Looking forward to it! I think my email address is in my profile.

I'm also working on an acoustic number, inspired by a recent acquisition of a Yamaha FG735S. If I sent you a copy, would you give me your opinion of it?

Gary
Sure thing. And CCreyeder, I'd be happy to send you the demo mp3 and chord sheet w/lyrics if you like.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hague View Post
Sure thing. And CCreyeder, I'd be happy to send you the demo mp3 and chord sheet w/lyrics if you like.
Brian, I would love that and be honored. . PM me and I will get you my email address....
Old 12-23-2009, 07:53 PM

I thought the lyrics and the message were awesome! As a P&W musician myself, I love hearing new stuff like this.

BTW, I've got about 3 or 4 songs worth of music with no lyrics, and I would love to have someone to collaborate with on some praise and worship stuff. If you're interested, I could send you some rough mp3's to see if it's something you'd like to do. My email address is in my profile, so if you'd like to do something, just email me (I don't check pm's much here).

Again, great song
Old 12-23-2009, 08:10 PM

There is a great book by Sheila Davis called, "The Craft of Lyric Writing" that I use. It is available at Barnes & Nobel. (No affiliation.)

Regardless, I'm like you; Too many songs and not enough lyrics.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:30 PM

Here's the version our praise band, CrossFire, performed at my Mom's church in Topeka Dec. 13. Disclaimer: the acoustics of that sanctuary are not good - it's an octagon with a vaulted ceiling, and the PA system is lacking. After more than 20 minutes trying to get a good sound check, the pastor came in and had the sound guys turn off the monitors and had all of us playing acoustic guitar to go unplugged - rather chaotic, but as a friend of mine says, "Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not get bent out of shape." This rendition has some of the harmonies I mentioned earlier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnEyCdDOK-Q
Old 12-26-2009, 08:24 PM

It still won't be the full song, but "Love Came Down" (the abbreviated Christmas-only version) will be live-streamed during our worship service tomorrow a few minutes after 5:00 pm CDT: http://live.cor.org.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell