The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-28-2010, 10:57 AM

Default GS Mini 23.5" scale - I'm hooked

Got a GS Mini with ES Go pickup and V-Cable for Christmas.

I can't put the thing down. It is so easy to play and I find myself doing things that I can't do on a full 25.5" scale guitar. Easy to grab multi-fret chords.

I am running it through my Roland AC-33 Acoustic amp and my Fishman Loudbox and both sound fantastic - equivalent to a full sized guitar.

I really hope Taylor expands their 23.5" scale offerings. I'd love a nicely decked out guitar with the Expression system and perhaps even a cutaway.

Gerald's Website
Gerald's YouTube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/gbross

Last edited by Gbross; 12-28-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:26 AM

Although I don't own one I did buy one for my cousing for Christmas so I had a chance to give it a whirl. In short, it's an outstanding guitar! A local Taylor dealer told me these will be offered in higher end versions which will mean I will have to have one but for now I'm all set on travel guitars.

Congrats on the new mini..
Old 12-28-2010, 12:21 PM

I agree. I was lucky enough to happen upon two of them at a small dealer in my hometown. I had the pick of the litter and it is a great little guitar. I am holding off on the es-go as it seems taylor is working on a version 1.2. I have some bling in the mail for it now- gold/ebony mini gotoh 510s, colosi bone saddle, ebony/abalone bridge pins, and a nichols TRC. I have been playing all kind of music on it and it does great. I tuned it down to DADGAD last night and really enjoyed playing one finger chords up and down the short scale neck. I would like a more high grade version, but would have a hard time justifying what they would cost, which if equivalent to the GS Mini to 110 cost comparison, would put an all solid GS Mini well over $1k list.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 12-28-2010, 01:13 PM

I see nothing wrong with Taylor charging more than 1K for an upscale 23.5" scale guitar.

This guitar would not be a "mini" as we know it today it would just be a short scale guitar.

One would need to change their headset about this scale length.

The Gibson Byrdland is 23.5" it sells for a lot more than 1K.

Gerald's Website
Gerald's YouTube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/gbross
Old 12-28-2010, 01:37 PM

I have always had a thing for short scale as well as smaller guitars and I am just loving my new GS Mini. Spent the weekend butchering Christmas songs on it. As for an all solid version, although the market would be much more limited, given the chance I know I can sell a few dozen of them as soon as they are announced.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:48 PM

Congratulations, I recently purchased my GS Mini and i am hooked. What i did to make it even easier to play? The Mini comes with medium strings, i replaced them with lites. Now it has the feel of an electric guitar (Minimum STRING TENSION) with the shortscale it is much easier to stretch my fingers and get to play chords i had difficulty with. Plus with lits i did not lose any volume. (at least not to my ear)
Old 12-28-2010, 03:09 PM

Same thing happened to me with my 24" scale Larrivee Parlor. It ruined me almost immediately. I highly recommend trying a set of these: http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...gs-?sku=105296

My Parlor loves them. They're a heavier gauge, but Sunbeams are slightly lower tension than other strings of the same gauge, which gives you just a hair more tension than a typical set of 12s and just a bit less than a typical set of 13s. It takes them a day or two to settle in, but they sound amazing and last forever.

What I Got:
Larrivee Mahogany/Spruce Satin Parlor
Martin OMC-16GTE
Martin DSS-17
Alvarez MF60CEOM

Fender Special Run Standard Jazz Bass - Flame Maple top - Tobacco Burst (Moderately modified)
Old 01-01-2011, 12:57 AM

Glad you like it - welcome to the GS Mini fan club. 9 out of 10 Dentists (and plumbers, pastors, teachers, cops) and everyone else agree it's a fantastic guitar.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbross View Post
I can't put the thing down. It is so easy to play and I find myself doing things that I can't do on a full 25.5" scale guitar. Easy to grab multi-fret chords.

I am running it through my Roland AC-33 Acoustic amp and my Fishman Loudbox and both sound fantastic - equivalent to a full sized guitar.

Yes, yes, yes. I bought the AC-33 too and I agree it's a great match with the mini - very lightweight, and convenient for travel due to the battery power option.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

I swore off true acoustics a few years ago in favor of semiacoustic thinbodies, but the GS Mini is giving me pause. I tested two of them Wednesday, I'm impressed!

Ken
Emerald Balor 5 string, Taylor GS-Mini Bass, RainSong SGA-FLE, WS1000 Classic N1 and WS3000 N1, Republic Resolian Style 804, Royall Teardrop Tenor Reso
A few electrics, a bunch of basses
Wandering the continent - CA > IL > NH > TX (for good, hopefully)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion