The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-28-2014, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

So Ted...do you think Martin will convert to 2 3/16" saddle spacing on all their 14 fret 000/OM size guitars?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 03-28-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
So Ted...do you think Martin will convert to 2 3/16" saddle spacing on all their 14 fret 000/OM size guitars?
I have no way of knowing what Martin is planning, nor would I broadcast inside info if I had any, all I know is that the 2-3/16" saddle spacing seems to be the "default" choice with a 1-3/4" nut with most builders these days. If I have a choice, I will opt for a 2-1/4" saddle spacing with a 1-3/4" nut, but given how much I love my Taylors and Rainsong's, the 2-3/16" saddle spacing is obviously not a deal breaker for me.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

I hear you...2 3/16" isn't a deal breaker depending on the particular guitar but like you I'd prefer 2 1/4" with a 1 3/4" nut. Shouldn't have asked to to speculate...sorry?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 03-29-2014, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Most dealers haven't received the new OM-28 yet so opinions will be few and far between, but I just spent some time with one alongside the now discontinued OM-28V and tonally they are as identical as two all solid wood guitars can get. So if you have played the OM-28V than you will know what to expect from the new OM-28 tonally.

As far as tonal differences, he OM-21 is lighter built so it's a bit more responsive with a more open tone, while the OM-28 will have a bit more headroom and also more of that vintage Martin growl. No wrong choice here, just depends on the tone you are after. If you search these forums I'm sure you will find more detailed decryptions of both the OM-21 and OM-28V as they are both quite popular.

BTW, you are not the first to ask about this so look for a side by side video of the two on our Youtube page tomorrow.
I am interested as well Can you post a link to the video once it's up? Thanks so much for the info.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvmatt247 View Post
I am interested as well Can you post a link to the video once it's up? Thanks so much for the info.
Here you go Matt!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1rQleFhTI4

Old 03-29-2014, 06:41 PM

Thanks for that Ted. Which guitar is which?
Old 03-29-2014, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for that video, Ted.

New OM-28 takes it in a landslide... (much richer sound, more complexity, more sustain). The OM-21 sounded very raw -- a more one-dimensional tone.

Can't wait to try the new 28 in person myself.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4250 shipped
Old 03-29-2014, 07:19 PM

Your very welcome guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgilmor View Post
Thanks for that Ted. Which guitar is which?
Pierre started with the OM-28.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:30 AM
Charter Member

Good little video, Ted. I definitely preferred the OM-28.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:43 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Ted! Good to hear the new OM-28 in action.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsanfilippo5 View Post
Im sorry if this had already been discussed, but I am trying to figure out the main differences, other than cosmetic between the new om-28 and the new version om-21…

Looking at the 2 I thought they looked very similar, unless I am missing something?
Getting back to this initial question . . .

I have compared the redesigned OM-21 and redesigned OM-28 on several occasions since the OM-28 first arrived at my local dealer and I can say unequivocally that I’ve found a pronounced and difference between the two. Although they share the same basic voicing, the OM-28 has considerably more sonic depth, projection, and resonance. The OM-21 has slightly more note-to-note clarity and the notes are slightly thinner, not that that’s necessarily a bad thing.

The local Martin dealer to which I referred stocks nearly every Standard Series model so they’ve routinely had both OM’s in stock even though they’ve sold one or the other at least a few times over the past few months. So every time I’ve conducted the comparison, it was with a different OM (21 and/or 28) in hand, yet the differences between them remained.

Befuddled by this mystery, I’ve even enlisted friends to compare them, in some cases blindly. They’ve all formed an opinion very similar to mine. Based on their responses, if I had to describe what you might conclude if you did a blind comparison, you could be forgiven for mistaking the OM-28 for being a GP model. In fact, compared to the OM-21, the OM-28 sounds like what I’d imagine a GP-28 would sound like, if such a model existed.

The only difference as far as I can tell between the two that might have an impact on tone is the herringbone purfling on the 28, but the difference is so dramatic that it can’t be the purfling alone.

I hope more of you, who have actually done a side by side comparison, share your findings here.
2013 Gibson Fuller's '39 Reissue J-35
2013 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
2012 Martin OM-21
2011 Martin S1 Uke
1987 Martin D-18
1983 Guild D-25-CH
1972 Martin D-45 (inherited in '13)
1972 Yamaha FG-180 (retired in '13)
1961 Martin 000-18 (semi-retired in '14)

Wish list: Kopp L-02
Old 10-16-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima9426 View Post
Getting back to this initial question . . .

I have compared the redesigned OM-21 and redesigned OM-28 on several occasions since the OM-28 first arrived at my local dealer and I can say unequivocally that I’ve found a pronounced and difference between the two. Although they share the same basic voicing, the OM-28 has considerably more sonic depth, projection, and resonance. The OM-21 has slightly more note-to-note clarity and the notes are slightly thinner, not that that’s necessarily a bad thing.

The local Martin dealer to which I referred stocks nearly every Standard Series model so they’ve routinely had both OM’s in stock even though they’ve sold one or the other at least a few times over the past few months. So every time I’ve conducted the comparison, it was with a different OM (21 and/or 28) in hand, yet the differences between them remained.

Befuddled by this mystery, I’ve even enlisted friends to compare them, in some cases blindly. They’ve all formed an opinion very similar to mine. Based on their responses, if I had to describe what you might conclude if you did a blind comparison, you could be forgiven for mistaking the OM-28 for being a GP model. In fact, compared to the OM-21, the OM-28 sounds like what I’d imagine a GP-28 would sound like, if such a model existed.

The only difference as far as I can tell between the two that might have an impact on tone is the herringbone purfling on the 28, but the difference is so dramatic that it can’t be the purfling alone.

I hope more of you, who have actually done a side by side comparison, share your findings here.
Please excuse my ignorance but what is a "GP" model?

We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:45 PM

Cheers Ted,

finally get to hear this wonderful guitar in action. Yes, very much compares to my OM-28V.

The 21 is a wonderful guitar, but, it doesn't compare to the 28.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fongie View Post
Cheers Ted,

finally get to hear this wonderful guitar in action. Yes, very much compares to my OM-28V.

The 21 is a wonderful guitar, but, it doesn't compare to the 28.
Two different guitars for sure, makes me wonder if the specs on the Martin site mean anything.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:52 AM

Default OM28e vs OM21

both great guitars for the money. I have owned an OM28e for three years now and it has opened up very nicely and the new neck style is wonderful. Just purchased an OM21 with Swiss spruce top and I must say the clarity of the OM21 is more balanced across the spectrum than the OM28e. I had purchased a Lowden last year and was looking for something with that sound with a smaller body and the OM21 has created that. I have only had the OM21 for a few days and have taken it on vacation with me, and can't put it down. Again both great guitars, but if you are looking for a balanced tone across the spectrum the new OM21 is the guitar. I won't part with either one. The Lowden build is amazing and really shows the difference in guitar building as their is more personal attention paid to the Lowden and they build 1 Lowden to every 100 Martin guitars. But I have to say, I LOVE MY MARTINS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion