The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-27-2014, 03:05 PM

Be sure to try some of the slope-shouldered dreads that Collings makes. I really like the 12-fretters - they seem to be somewhat sweeter (and louder) than the square-shouldered models, generally. I think they would slay people in a bluegrass jam, as long as you don't need the extra two frets free of the body. I haven't tried the CJ-35 yet.

Collings isn't my favorite brand of guitar at all, but I've played a bunch of them and every single one has been an excellent guitar. That has certainly not been my experience with the bigger manufacturers, or even many of the smaller shops.

Last edited by SJ VanSandt; 10-27-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:15 PM

I have played about 5 Collings and their playability, fit and finish can only be equalled by Bourgeois, though I much prefer the Collings tone. All were very nice sounding. Cj quite good, D2H very nice but a D1A was so nice I really wanted it. But around 2005 a D 1 was making me think about just running for the door with it...that good.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:17 PM

I bought a new Collings DS2H in 1997. I still have it. I can't imagine liking a guitar more or one that sounds better. Since then, I have bought a Vintage series Martin and an Authentic series Martin. They are all great guitars. Different than one another, but that was my intent. Different colors of an artist's palette if I may make that well-worn comparison. I don't get the whole "better" thing. Guitars are different and enable you to make slightly different sounds. I have never concerned myself with "best" anything except maybe a heart surgeon. I can't imagine anyone not being able to make beautiful music on any of Bill's guitars.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

I own two Collings OM1s (Sitka/Hog, and Sitka/Walnut) as well as a CW Indian. They are incredible guitars. For my novice/hack version of Bluegrass, the CW just roars... so loud and cuts through with ease. Perfect fit and finish on all 3 guitars, as another poster mentioned.

Someone also mentioned 'brash' or 'metallic' in describing the Collings tone. I'd clarify that by saying the tone is clear, solid, and direct. Whereas bass dominance is a defining feature of Martin and SCGC, clarity and balance are the defining features of Collings. The only time I've noticed even a hint of that metallic sound was from a brand new OM2HG (German top).

Get out there and try some!

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 10-27-2014, 03:26 PM

Collings a little under fire from some of these posts. Where's silly moustache when you need him!

Great guitars that punish foolish mistakes due to their almost brutal clarity. I like the various 12 fretters from collings the best. Huge tone and bass response but warmer, less brash as some might say. My 000-2H has a piano like bass response without any muddiness that one sometimes associates with EIR from other makers.
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 10-27-2014, 03:33 PM

Excellent and varying responses, and no fists thrown. A+!!

Thanks to all of you, I really appreciate your input.

Last edited by Pheof; 10-27-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:48 PM

I played 2 recently (see pics). The 1st one i did not care for at all. the fit and finish were great but i didn't like the feel of the neck nor the sound. the 2nd pic (the older one) was the 2nd best in the whole place for me and i tried probably 20 guitars that day. so for me with them u really need to try it before buying it.

Old 10-27-2014, 04:08 PM

Been listening and playing for 50 years.
Have an OM2H w/ german spruce top.
It's the best sounding acoustic I've ever heard.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:17 PM

I like Martin guitars, but I have always experienced Collings guitars as a step up from the D-18s and D-28s and D-40s The way I think of Collings is they are the kind of Martins that Martin would make if they could afford to put twice the effort into selecting the woods and building their guitars to make each one as close to perfect as is reasonable possible. If it were me I would take the money I had saved up for that D-18 you are about to buy and put it toward a Collings D-1 with the Adirondack top option and herringbone purfling, abalone rosette, and Collings Rose inlay on the headstock.
Member #12

Acoustics:
1995 Taylor 510
1997 Taylor Custom Shop 14 size
1998 Taylor K-65 12 string
1998 Larrivee C-10E with Mucha Lady IR/Sitka

Electrics:
1999 PRS Custom 22 Artist Package - Whale Blue/Ebony
1995 Fender Custom Shop 1960 Strat - Dakota/Maple
1997 Fender California Series Fat Strat - CAR/Maple
1968 Teisco e-110 Sunburst/Maple
Old 10-27-2014, 04:24 PM

Default Just played an OM

Took my Martin OM18GE (custom cutaway) to a gathering recently.
A guy there had a Collings OM1 and we swapped for about 20 minutes, at my request.

A fine instrument for sure! Felt substantial, yet not bulky or heavy. Sound was delightful. Perhaps a bit more mid-range than my Martin. Maybe a little louder overall. But all that could have been strings.

We traded back, at his request, and frankly, I was happy to get my Martin back.
Largely just cuz its mine, and the set-up was a tad lower as I prefer it to be.

The Collings was a fine instrument for certain. But then, so is my Martin.
Enjoy your quest.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorCocobolo View Post
Collings makes a great guitar. They have one of the best fit/finish in the business, as does Bourgeois. Their volume is very loud and brash and sometimes they can have a metalllic sound.
Can't help much here, but I have a similar impression of the few Collings dreads I've played. Piano-like, and the notes have more sustain and run-on than one might want (or not). I'm biased towards Bourgeois tone.

A good guitar shop not to far from me sells a lot of Bourgeois and Collings. The owner mentioned that bluegrassers seem to prefer the Bourgeois dreads. But then that's a sample of just one.

Only suggestion I have is A/B'ing Collings dreads against guitars from the smaller shops before settling in on one brand.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:36 PM

Only played one Collings, a 2002 D2H sunburst and it was one of the best ever guitars Ive come across.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 10-27-2014, 04:36 PM

I think the best dread I have played yet was a Collings D1A.
But I'm not a dread aficionado.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
I like Martin guitars, but I have always experienced Collings guitars as a step up from the D-18s and D-28s and D-40s The way I think of Collings is they are the kind of Martins that Martin would make if they could afford to put twice the effort into selecting the woods and building their guitars to make each one as close to perfect as is reasonable possible. If it were me I would take the money I had saved up for that D-18 you are about to buy and put it toward a Collings D-1 with the Adirondack top option and herringbone purfling, abalone rosette, and Collings Rose inlay on the headstock.
Great suggestion. Thanks!
Old 10-27-2014, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
+1 to this.

In fact the regular old standard D1 with Sitka top, Adi bracing, and 1 3/4 nut is also a killer guitar. They regularly come up for sale in the AGF classifieds, mint, for under $2600. This is a no-brainer purchase.

Keep your eyes open... there have been a few for sale lately.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion