The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-24-2014, 07:44 AM

Great review, felt like I had attended myself after reading. I am planning to attend one here in the Houston area in November.

One of the things you mentioned brought up a question for me... you wrote this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTP View Post
After playing all five shapes, our hosts took an informal poll to see which one was everyone's favorite. Surprisingly, NO ONE raised their hand for Taylor's best-selling body style, the Grand Auditorium (the 814e), even though they claim that the GA shape makes up about 65% of total sales and is by far their best-selling shape. HOWEVER, I am NOT surprised; in at least one previous post, I lamented about my being underwhelmed with the 2014 814.
So how did they all stack up in the end? Specifically I'm most curious about the Grand Concert size/shape, but would like to hear your thoughts on the whole line.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:56 AM

Great review!!!!

I missed the road show when it came to my town this year. Just out of curiosity...I think I see it in the picture but did they say much about the 514ce FLTD with the Tasmanian black wood? My local shop has one and I am getting some major GAS from it.

Thanks for the post. Please don't enter me as well; I have been wearing XL for longer than I can remember.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:06 AM

Great review! Loved seeing the photos. I don't need counted in on the karma either but I wanted to share an experience I had at a Taylor Road Show a few months back. Wayne Johnson demonstrated all of the guitars. He did a masterful job of bringing out the subtle qualities of each style and body size. I asked him about a lick he played and he was kind enough to send me the tabs and a few follow-up lessons he had created. Awesome guy, awesome player. (For those that didn't know, he played with "Manhattan Transfer" back in the 80's).
Old 10-24-2014, 09:16 AM

Thanks for the post and review of your experience. It sounds as if it was a great experience.

I attended my first and only Road Show a few years ago and that is what caused me to spend money on my 814ce. I did not purchase there, but the temptation I was experiencing at the time was leading me towards a 714ce. I would have been very satisfied with it as it produced a great tone, but I am glad I held off he temptation and ended up with my 814ce.

Before my Road Show visit, I had received a wonderful gift of a T5 C2 as a "Father's Day" gift. It took a while to become accustom to the many tones and as to how to obtain them, but it was well worth it. I use it in different ways such as through an electric amp, a PA, or both with the aid of an ABY Box.

Wayne Johnson was present at the Road Show I attended and all I can say is, "Wow"! He is one heck of a musician. I was amazed at what he was able to do with each instrument he picked up.

Once again, thanks for your review and please enter my name into the drawing.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:20 AM

I have attended 2 Road Shows, won coasters and atshirt, so you don't have to put me in for the one you're offering.

No mention was ever made of a particular discount off regular prices at either one of the shows, but some store-stock guitars were sale priced.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 10-24-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken thumb View Post
I just checked on my son. That sound-hole coaster is on his bed! LOL!
Sound hole coasters! That's one thing the hosts didn't have at my event to offer as giveaways.

Oh well, they seem to be pretty common on eBay so I might grab one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeeaddict View Post
Did they do their normal joke about Canadian music being in the key of "eh"?
Hah! If they did, I might have missed it! I really liked the lighthearted atmosphere. Being a Taylor Road Show host might be a fun job. Travel, guitars, music, meeting people, telling stories, telling jokes, etc.; what's not to love about it?

Quote:
As to not bringing up the 150e - they don't tend to talk about anything below the 300 series, at least not at any Road Show I've been to.
I'm sure I've been told this before but I was still secretly hoping. For all the fanfare of the 2014 revoiced 8xx Series which debuted this year, the 150e (also released this year) isn't being given any spotlight time at the Taylor Road Show.

Quote:
Interesting about the L&M customs - may need to get out and take a look at it.
It made me feel more Canadian, especially after recent events, one of which obviously happened in our area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juice22 View Post
One of the things you mentioned brought up a question for me... you wrote this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTP View Post
After playing all five shapes, our hosts took an informal poll to see which one was everyone's favorite. Surprisingly, NO ONE raised their hand for Taylor's best-selling body style, the Grand Auditorium (the 814e), even though they claim that the GA shape makes up about 65% of total sales and is by far their best-selling shape. HOWEVER, I am NOT surprised; in at least one previous post, I lamented about my being underwhelmed with the 2014 814.
So how did they all stack up in the end? Specifically I'm most curious about the Grand Concert size/shape, but would like to hear your thoughts on the whole line.
814e: I hear that they always play the Grand Auditorium first, because it's their "flagship" shape and their "Swiss Army Knife" shape, proud that they make up about 65% of total sales from a shape perspective. On top of this, the 814 is supposed to be Taylor's overall flagship, so maybe my slight disappointment is the result of expecting the "ultimate Taylor" and a sound that stuns everyone in the room. I'm still ambivalent about the 814 guitar. It's obviously constructed well and plays like you would expect, but I think it's my fault for setting my personal bar too high for the tone of a flagship model. It's actually a very fine guitar though.

816e: The Grand Symphony was the second shape played. It was amusing listening to the attendees' different perspectives on the GA shape versus the GS shape. Some people reported hearing more mids, some people heard less mids, some thought it was muddier, some thought it was clearer... It just goes to show you how perspectives are subjective, and that different people hear different things. To me, it sounds like a slightly bassier 814, although I've heard the term "Grand Auditorium on steroids" being used to describe the GS.

812e: I've watched previous Taylor Road Show videos on Youtube where the Grand Concert shape was described as Taylor's "secret weapon". Now that I think about the sound of all five of the shapes, the 812e sounded the best in the circumstances provided (thru a microphone). I now see why smaller bodied guitars lend themselves well to recording applications. The sound is more focused, instead of an all-out assault across all frequencies with a larger guitar.

810e: I'm a Dreadnought guy (despite the fact that the two Taylors I own are Grand Auditoriums) and found this shape the bassiest of the five, with a lot of emphasis on the low-mid frequencies. When you're accustomed to constantly hearing "Taylor trebles", it is a bit of a surprise to hear a Taylor with that much low end.

818e: My only other experience with a Grand Orchestra shape was playing a 618e some time ago, which I did enjoy. I had stated that I had expected it to be a gargantuan shape, but in fact it wasn't obscenely large and was still comfortable in my lap. It's a loud shape, although I should have paid more attention to volume output between the Dreadnought and the GO. It's actually quite balanced-sounding for a large guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbfan32 View Post
I missed the road show when it came to my town this year. Just out of curiosity...I think I see it in the picture but did they say much about the 514ce FLTD with the Tasmanian black wood? My local shop has one and I am getting some major GAS from it.
You have a sharp eye! Unfortunately they didn't demonstrate that one, despite demonstrating the 326Kce-FLTD. I did get to play that 514ce-FLTD though. By the time I got around to trying it, I was starting to suffer from "every guitar's sound is blurring together and sounding the same" fatigue so I don't have any strong opinions about its sound at the moment. I'd probably have to return to the store with a clean aural palate and listen to it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostpicker View Post
Great review! Loved seeing the photos. I don't need counted in on the karma either but I wanted to share an experience I had at a Taylor Road Show a few months back. Wayne Johnson demonstrated all of the guitars. He did a masterful job of bringing out the subtle qualities of each style and body size. I asked him about a lick he played and he was kind enough to send me the tabs and a few follow-up lessons he had created. Awesome guy, awesome player. (For those that didn't know, he played with "Manhattan Transfer" back in the 80's).
Wayne is a superb player and very accommodating too! He was coaching at least one of the attendees during the petting zoo session.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
No mention was ever made of a particular discount off regular prices at either one of the shows, but some store-stock guitars were sale priced.
I might have been slightly misinformed and assumed too much. I wasn't sure a 10% discount applied across the entire selection because I was mostly inquiring about pricing for the two 12-string guitars available. The 150e was "too new" to be offered at a discount and the 356ce was offered 10% off, but I didn't inquire further about pricing for other guitars.

There was "special pricing" on the high end and custom models, although I'm not sure if they were truly discounted or if the "regular marked price" was actually inflated and then "slashed" down to a "discount price" to make it seem like you were getting a good deal.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:01 PM

Great review NOTP, basically mimics the road show I attended here in the west in April. Wayne Johnson's playing really highlighted the differences in body shapes and tone woods. And I believe Mike from Taylor is the only Canadian rep they have because, you know, Canada is such a small territory to cover. :-/

While they only briefly mentioned the 150e back in April, when I asked Mike about it at the end during the petting zoo, he was very excited about it and told me a lot about it and how they had pre-sold the initial production run. I'm lucky I put a deposit on one at the time and got one of the first ones that came in late May, because I haven't seen another one in the stores here since then.

Thanks but don't consider me for you giveaway as I'm more an XL or XXL guy. B^D
2014 Taylor 150e
Old 10-24-2014, 01:08 PM

Sounds like a cool thing to go to unfortunately they don't seem to come near me very often if at all oh well lol.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:25 PM

After much contemplation I opted for a 356ce which I really enjoy. It played well right after buying, but with a proper set up it's even better. A 12 string is not something you play everyday, at least in my case, but I do like the guitar and feel it too is a good value for the money. Good luck in your quest to find just the right 12 string.

I'd love to win that t-shirt, thanks for the offer!
Old 10-24-2014, 04:03 PM

I'll need to digest your review some more when I'm not working.

I haven't bought a new Taylor since 2006......lotsa catching up to do.

Please enter me in the drawing. Thanks
Old 10-24-2014, 10:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Please don't include me in the giveaway, just wanted to thank you for the excellent review.
+1. I asked a good question and have the shirt already.

Nice write up and pics. Thanks
Old 10-25-2014, 12:15 AM

I've been to a couple of the road shows and enjoyed them both. Please include me in the shirt giveaway.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:27 AM

Terrific, well-written, very informative post.

Thank you!

Greg Rappleye
Old 10-25-2014, 05:49 AM

Great post. The show is coming to my city mid-next month. Have already rsvp'd and am good to go. It will be my 3rd. Highly recommend these shows.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:38 AM

Thank you for your thorough review. One of these days I will make a roadshow. I always just miss them!

Let us know if the 150 sucks you back in! I can't wait to try one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion