The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-22-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD_Tom View Post
Hello AGF Community,

I have been playing guitar for just under a year and I stumbled across this forum just recently. I just bought a new guitar, an Ibanez Aw300, which should be arriving any day now. It is a Dreadnaught and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

My question is about Light vs. Medium Strings. I was wondering what the practical difference is.

Do they really sound that different?
Is one that much easier to play than they other?
Like most new players I am having trouble barring chords so will it really make that much of a difference?

Thanks
Yes light strings will sound different than mediums as will strings of different types and compositions.

Without a pro setup lights will be easier to play than mediums because there is less tension on the strings, making them easier to push down (fret). If you cannot afford a setup or do not know where you can get one yet lighter strings will make it easier to play. They can cause other problems such as loss of volume, string buzz and even intonation issues but this will also depend on your guitar and how it is set up when you get it.

Play what comes with it first. It may play great and easy from the start but most guitars could benefit from a setup. If it is too hard to play (they often are for new players) fingers try lighter gauge strings. It is a "poor mans setup" kind of. Strings and pick changes are the cheapest modifications you can make. As your fingers and skills strengthen you can put heavier strings on or not. I like lights, even for bluegrass and old-time music.

A setup is always a good idea but you will know more about how you actually want it set up after you have been playing a while.

Play it for a couple of months, experiment with strings, find your own sound and then get a good pro setup.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 07-22-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD_Tom View Post
Hello AGF Community,

I have been playing guitar for just under a year and I stumbled across this forum just recently. I just bought a new guitar, an Ibanez Aw300, which should be arriving any day now. It is a Dreadnaught and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

My question is about Light vs. Medium Strings. I was wondering what the practical difference is.

Do they really sound that different?
Is one that much easier to play than they other?
Like most new players I am having trouble barring chords so will it really make that much of a difference?

Thanks
Once the guitar is set up properly, string gauge can have a tremendous effect on tone, and playability. Lighter gauge strings are obviously slightly easier to fret, and may help until you progress. I started out with light strings, and changed to heavier strings, but was not partial to them, so I went back to the lighter strings.

Dan

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion