The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-31-2014, 08:34 PM

I'm very happy with my Snarks. I don't mind pushing the little button to turn it on.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 10-31-2014, 09:09 PM

Toby, I hope you have stock in this tuner because I'm another one convinced...just grabbed one to try out.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

Got mine and like it just fine. Not sure it's as sensitive as the Snark, but it will live in my dread's case. Agree that you kinda need to pluck hard to get a reading.

Eastman AC630BD --The Hot Blonde
Taylor 317
Rickenbacker 620 Midnight Blue
Yamaha FG700 (lives in Miami for family visits)

"Son, don't wait till the break of day, 'cause you know how time fades away..."

Last edited by Wildgift; 10-31-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:09 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
Looks good, but they are not getting very good reviews from people on Amazon. Say they are unreliable and don't pick up all the strings.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...al%2Caps%2C250
Weird. I have 4 of them and they work fine. Maybe there's some duds in the bunch?
Old 10-31-2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D
Looks good, but they are not getting very good reviews from people on Amazon. Say they are unreliable and don't pick up all the strings.

I really don't give a lot of faith to online reviews like those on Amazon... in general on many items it is ONLY the negative review that gets written and the potential good ones go unwritten because people today tend to care less and less about saying anything positive about a product and will complain about something at the drop of a hat.

Because of this most reviews from retail sites are generally stilted towards the negative side unless a product is just so amazing that everyone has to say something about it and how smart hey are for getting it.

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 11-01-2014, 06:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip Carter View Post
I really don't give a lot of faith to online reviews like those on Amazon... in general on many items it is ONLY the negative review that gets written and the potential good ones go unwritten because people today tend to care less and less about saying anything positive about a product and will complain about something at the drop of a hat.

Because of this most reviews from retail sites are generally stilted towards the negative side unless a product is just so amazing that everyone has to say something about it and how smart hey are for getting it.
Interesting, if somewhat cynical, theory but it just doesn't fit the data. Snark gets 4.5 stars on Amazon; Planet Waves tuner gets 4.5 on Amazon; something called a Kala Klipz tuner gets 5; the Crescendo Tuner gets 5; other models of Fender tuners get 4.5; Intellitouch gets 4, Korg gets 4, etc.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:07 AM

Every Snark I have had (6) has busted! Had enough with them!
Old 11-01-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip Carter View Post

I'll go you one further. I trust no one who shills or spills on a product. And, online experts waxing on products is the ultimate fools game.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Not trying to "sell" or influence anyone to purchasing one of these tuners...I have nothing to gain by doing so, but I will say this thing has tamed some of my harder to tune guitars. Maybe it's just me?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 11-01-2014, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Toby,will give this a try...

I must have 20 or so of these category of tuners collected over the past decade.Snarks, planet waves,pitch pockets etc...
Best one is an older intellitouch D402,a somewhat larger rectangular shaped unit.It's the only one I'll use for my 12 string.
Both built in tuners on my Martins are not too hot...the one included with a higher end Takamine I owned 10 years ago was much better.

I'm one of those that has a very sensitive ear for pitch so I get very frustrated when these tuners can't seem to match what I hear is right...usually it's the fickle B string which I tend to dial in slightly to the flat despite any tuner setting.

Gabe
Old 11-01-2014, 09:17 AM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post

Reviews can be funny. The Snark SN-1 gets rave reviews. People calling it "dead-on accurate," yet the majority of the time I've tried to tune with it, the guitar does not sound in tune (regardless of how I pluck the strings, use harmonics, etc.), and I end up using a tuner app on my phone that gets the job done.

Didn't get a chance to try this Fender tuner last night, but I hopefully will tonight.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhooks75 View Post
Every Snark I have had (6) has busted! Had enough with them!
I have one, got it about 2 years ago, replaced the batteries once and it still is working just fine. I don't know what people are doing to break these, but mine seems plenty durable. I have ruined my reading glasses a few times when they dropped out of my shirt pocket and then accidentally stepped on them. I learned that they didn't break if I didn't step on them. Funny how that works. ........Mike
Old 11-01-2014, 10:11 AM

My Snark only gets me close. It seems to have a pretty wide range where it will indicate a string is in tune. I'll give this Fender a try and try to remember to blame Toby if it's a dud.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
Reviews can be funny. The Snark SN-1 gets rave reviews. People calling it "dead-on accurate," yet the majority of the time I've tried to tune with it, the guitar does not sound in tune (regardless of how I pluck the strings, use harmonics, etc.), and I end up using a tuner app on my phone that gets the job done.

Didn't get a chance to try this Fender tuner last night, but I hopefully will tonight.
I think at the price point that clip-on tuners are selling for, we're just running into some bad components from time to time. As I said, although one of the Fenders I got is a dud, the other works perfectly fine. I had at least one Snark arrive with the socket that holds the neck in place broken. It broke, no doubt, in shipment. I can certainly live with an item costing less than $10 to $15 failing when the ones that don't fail work just fine and, as I said, given the price point, the occasional failure really isn't all that surprising.

My Turbo Tuner is still my favorite in a reasonably quiet environment. It's more accurate, more rugged, more reliable, and it was a lot more expensive. Really, no surprises here.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:47 AM

Peterson Strobclip for me. Yes, it's pricey, so I'm very careful to not lose them. Super accurate, never rattles, never lets me down. In performance situations, I use the Stroboflip.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion